It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Today's etiquette

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Today as in the 21st century. Not really a rant, just an observation regarding people's inability to look someone in the eye so to speak. To the point, our habits when corresponding via electronic means. For some strange and non explicable reason we have adopted the 'do not respond' method in lieu of being forthcoming. Even more to the point, it's an exercise of mental awareness to the recipient to challenge 'them' to intelligently decipher the 'non communicative' message you give as an answer to their question; without having to create undo hardship and stress upon yourself for answering it. While the recipient plays this ambiguous mind game left in a state of temporary 'unknowing', they must also adhere to strict social protocols and not repeat the asked question or ask "why". In fact, no further communication on the matter is required. You as the recipient must get it.

Of course, naturally, time is of the essence. Many of us do not have time or are in short supply. The wheel of motion tends to grind slowly while tasks soak up copious amounts of more time. Sometimes tasks take weeks or even months to begin, but alas...we have adopted this fantastic 'do not respond' technique to drain even more time, and energy from those seeking to accomplish them. Now thankfully, we can redirect that energy & time, to the 'mind game' when attempting to decode a plethora of scenarios in a 'non communicative' message. This mind game injects a flurry combo of "if's, what's, when's, how's, should I's , shouldn't I's, yes and no's when ultimately there is no answer other that what you interpret it to be. But that's for you to get, you need to figure it out. That's our etiquette. To flout others. We are the flouters of the 21st century because it inconveniences us to feel uncomfortable, regardless of your time and energy.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Technology has always been a blessing and a curse. It's nice to have a cell phone and be able to call for help from just about anywhere.....but it also makes people forget there are such thing as manners. Multiply that by all the gadgets people carry with them and you get our society.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlySolo
.... To the point, our habits when corresponding via electronic means. For some strange and non explicable reason we have adopted the 'do not respond' method in lieu of being forthcoming...

I was taught and am only now learning to appreciate the old adage: "If you can't say anything good, don't say anything at all".

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

I agree. However, ignoring to respond doesn't follow that principle. Acknowledgement does

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   
People often say how polite I am. Which IMO is just natural politeness, please and thank you's etc as I was taught though I guess a rarity these days.

I cannot actually recall when a person last said ''please'' to me or even ''thank you'' apart from on emails. I guess there is a culture of expectation of just getting things without effort or manners for much of the younger generation and for some of the slightly older generation, an expectation of superiority that they think doesn't need manners.

Everybody should be polite, it is part of living in a civilized society.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I witness this every day.

I think it has something to do with trust.

As a parent, I want my kid's to be polite. Treat other's as you want to be treated.

But our kid's are smart. And sometimes their Dumb. But the bottom line is we teach them to do both.

This is not the world I grew up in. Trust is a bigger issue.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 10:23 PM
link   
a reply to: FlySolo

Etiquette? The young generation today doesn't have a clue as to what that means! Technology has created generations of inconsiderate, rude, ignorant and self-centered people. A lot of young people have become offensive and speak their minds instead of respecting another person's feelings. I've never experienced so much disrespect, hate, rudeness and immoral behavior in my life time.

Technology is a great thing, but if it's going to cause more hate and less caring for our fellow man, it will eventually lead us down a path to extinction . We have enough wars and killing in this world due to hate and disrespect. Creating generations where it's becoming the norm will only lead to more conflicts in the world. Instead of advancing forward toward harmony and peace, technology has caused us to go backwards to an uncivilized society.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 11:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlySolo
a reply to: FyreByrd

I agree. However, ignoring to respond doesn't follow that principle. Acknowledgement does

Yes - it does. It actually communicates quite a lot.

top topics

join