It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should We Genetically Upgrade Human DNA

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   
a reply to: bucsarg

Me too A-1/7 Desert Storm.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 09:21 PM
link   
C-1-12 Vietnam

Thank you for your service.

a reply to: cavtrooper7

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   

You taught us how.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Charlie 1-18 11bravo brothers!

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Thank you for your service!

a reply to: TechniXcality

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 10:17 PM
link   
The human race is doomed as a species. We will never get along , we will always be at war and because of this we will not Evolve into a better species.. Sometimes I feel I am not part of the human species or maybe its just because I do not want to be after seeing the world go to sh.. in a hand-basket. All because of our barbaric and primitive nature as a species.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I believe we will, carefully. In a way, we already do by killing or otherwise limiting the bad among us from reproducing. Think about it: That terrorist whom might have had a kid a year from now is dead thanks to a military operation. The child molestor who might have fathered another child is in prison until old age thanks to a justice system, unlikely to spread his/her dna further. If there's any dna which caused it, and they get killed in a consistent way or restricted from reproducing then ti's game.

Typically only when a person dies before reproductive age or otherwise is prevented from reproducing can it have this impact.

Some things might not be able to be "breeded out," though.

Once hte technology proves itself and we've shown certain DNA are undeniably bad then I have no doubt we will remove it.

And I would not be surprised if parts of our brain are synthetic in the future or at least partly managed by nanobots or something else. We cannot help but imprinting our own ideals on these these technologies.

One must ask: Are our ideals incorrect? A world perfectly free from violence and blood sport? A world free of sin? A world of unity?

Rambo was on TV again. Good? Or bad? Or entertainment? Hmm. The lesson is contain the crazy people before they lose it and go berserke and fill everyting with holes which is deemed a threat.

Is all hte violence in movies and games and really everywhere part of this thread? How can it not be? War isn't the only thing going on.
edit on 25-5-2015 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 04:04 AM
link   
We barely understand what's in our dna... So no bad idea.

On top of that this would have to be a program administered by the governments of the world which puts it in the good lord no.. No way... Category.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 06:30 AM
link   
a reply to: cooperton

Yes exactly. The genome expresses itself according to the environment it is in.

We may not be hard wired to kill. That is a learned trait. Part of society or the matrix that enslaves us.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Genetically upgrading our DNA opens the door for some nasty diseases. Diseases that take a different turn in response to our new genome and become something new and unprepared for.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: zardust

We may not be hard wired to kill. That is a learned trait. Part of society or the matrix that enslaves us.

Ever seen the tomorrow people? Next step in human evolution brings teleportation, telekinesis, telepathy, and in rare cases temporal manipulation. On the downside, you are unable to deliberately commit murder. At all. It has to be an accident or your own body incapacitates you even if your life is at risk.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Humans? I think the intent is to become the thought of a human, why you always trying to play a smartass? A great philosopher said, i know nothing. If you put everything on a blank page, its easier to put 1+1=2 instead of 4+Alien/Rabbit=Cro Magnon-Sapiens = Homo

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

originally posted by: zardust

Ever seen the tomorrow people? Next step in human evolution brings teleportation, telekinesis, telepathy, and in rare cases temporal manipulation. On the downside, you are unable to deliberately commit murder. At all. It has to be an accident or your own body incapacitates you even if your life is at risk.

i'll have to check that out. You would expect an evolved society to be run on mutualism, altruism, etc, and egoic behavior would become obselete. Our society operates in the opposite way, egoic behavior is rewarded. Society insists these behaviors on us. Pretty much every marketing campaign is attempting to appeal to our vices. I could go on and on but I'll stop there.

I liked the movie Lucy, except I don't expect a drug to be the ultimate thing that evolves us, but rather, the human potential is dormant in our being waiting to be unlocked. The public needs to realize that their genes are not stagnant, and they are not helpless victims to their genetics. Everyone should be aware of epigenetics.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: bucsarg
No disrespect intended but I most certainly disagree with you. Research has determined that we, especially men are hard wired to protect our group species. And that means killing if need be.

The issue is our world society is trying to move forward in a positive way but our killing instincts have become outdated.

a reply to: Phage

So you want to do this:

Only, instead of an additive to the atmosphere, you want to do it to us on the genetic level.

You understand that our aggression is also what gives us our drive to survive, and our survival instinct is, as the poor gal in the clip explains, what drives us to do the everyday activities that lead to, well, life. You more or less fight for everything from your food to your every breath.
edit on 25-5-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   
what makes anyone believe that it's not being done now?

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Should we genetically upgrade Human DNA

No.

Are you serious.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

I haven't but sounds cool. And possibly possible.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I posted the idea of DNA manipulation as an alternative to fixing a serious issue our species has not been able to solve.

Incarceration of criminals has not been a deterrent. As a matter of fact building prisons is now big business. Our ex-governer pushed to have a prison built in our state because she invested in privately managed prisons.

Executions of criminals of the most serious crimes has not been a deterrent.

Our police and legal systems are failing us. Again these systems are now big business.

And yet we continue to have the following crimes against our species:
Serial Killers
Pedophilia
Rape (it's rampant in our military)
Homicides
Professional burglary
Sex slavery

I guess we could just let things as they are and let it play out to see if we can evolve it out of our DNA. I personally find the status quo distasteful. Or perhaps someone can think of other options.

a reply to: ketsuko

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 07:36 AM
link   

I think it is a good idea to upgrade dna

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 09:00 AM
link   

I think that no matter what your intentions are, there will be unintended consequences and side effects.

You are talking about editing out genes. One combination of genes might lead a person to have horrific impulses, but just because you have an impulse, does it lead you to act on it? We know there are far more psychopaths walking around than ever become horrible psychopathic killers. Most go through fairly normal lives. In fact, being a psychopath must have some kind of advantage for humans in order for the trait to have survived and become as common as it has.

Would you edit it out? Without really knowing what it does, why we have it?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join