It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Theresa May's plan to censor TV shows condemned by Tory cabinet colleague

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 04:33 AM
link   

A plan by the home secretary to introduce counter-extremism powers to vet British broadcasters’ programmes before they are transmitted has been attacked in the bluntest terms as a threat to freedom of speech by one of her own Conservative cabinet colleagues, the Guardian has learned.

what's the matter with Theresa May at the moment. She seems to be power tripping, since the conservatives won the election. I can't even think of anything I've seen that needs censorship on british TV recently. We have a watershed to protect kiddies against rude images and words It's already received opposition from the culture secretary so I can't see this idea getting very far, but it just seems like May has an obsession with extremists and stomping out anyThing which might be presumed to have extremist content.
A plan by the home secretary to introduce counter-extremism powers to vet British broadcasters’ programmes before they are transmitted has been attacked in the bluntest terms as a threat to freedom of speech by one of her own Conservative cabinet colleagues, the Guardian has learned.

www.theguardian.com...

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 04:35 AM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

She's been acting like she's on drugs lately. Maybe her medication isn't agreeing with her.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 04:36 AM
link   
God I hate this bitch.

What is her problem?
How does this battle axe keep her seat?

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 04:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kester

She's been acting like she's on drugs lately. Maybe her medication isn't agreeing with her.

She needs some pot!

Only trouble is she has some personal vendetta against it..... Unsurprisingly

She will ban laughter and smiles soon

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Benny Hill slapping asses, looking up skirts, dressing like a golliwog, male dominance.

The Goodies dressing like golliwogs, sexy girls, black fellas, religious overtures

The Two Ronnies.

ARE YOU BEING SERVED

MONTY PYTHON - "The life of Brian"

All vivid memories from my childhood, and I turned out just fine, so yes - she is a control freak twat that needs to be brought down a few pegs.

Pffft

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 04:53 AM
link   
This is a slippery slope, but to a certain extent, I would like to see certain aspects of documentaries on how the police work, methods used etc, as well as aspects of intelligence, cut from TV. This has at times compromised operational work and believe me, many on here may think that the threat is false flag or whatever, but it is a threat all the same and there are people, gangs, organisations, that are up to things you can't even imagine and events have been stopped that would've, had they been carried out, amounted to serious loss of life. There are things that happen that are "iffy" shall we say, lots of political influence, but don't underestimate the threat from terrorist organisations and like minded individuals, within the UK.

Other than that, I don't believe anything should be censored, but again, if you start censoring then it's a slippery slope. It's interesting though that this all started with the Crime and Disorder Act 1998, which started the ball rolling for anyone even making comments that even just perceived to being against a person on grounds of religion and/or race, would be charged. I said at the time that this act was a prelude to enforcing a tighter grip on freedom of speech, both through legislation and control of media, since then we have just spiralled. However, how many on here would've been all for that act at the time? Be careful what you buy in to...

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 05:02 AM
link   

Tessie wants to remember that the tories don't have the majority of people behind them in this country as it is.

She wants to deal with censorship but, she forgets that she is responsible for dealing with the problems of the problems of paedophelia especially within whitehall and its other sister institutions - something a woman, and I repeat a woman, would be getting down to as fast as she can. As she hasn't and has used ploys to delay, I have doubts about her actually being a woman or she is seriously flawed as one.

The answer to extremism is top stop the saudi wahabi's from entering this country with their perverted ideas of justice and equality. These individuals have no sense of western values and want them destroyed - you cannot amalgamate the two cultures they are opposed to each other and will only case war in the end. All she gets on tv are pre-arranged shows trying to tell all of us that we are just one happy-clappy united people - the country might be called the United Kingdom but we are far from united. She should be deporting wannabe terrorists instead of letting them slip back after showing their contempt for this country by joining ISIS - that is within her grasp to achieve and the apologist families of those concerned need to go as well.

edit on 22-5-2015 by Shiloh7 because: my miss-typing aired by my computer deciding what I want to say for me.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 05:04 AM
link   
It all just seems a little OTT at the moment. I mean these type of actions don't help anyone or protect anyone either. They do however help the terrorist cause of taking our freedoms and liberties away from us.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 05:18 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

She keeps her seat by wearing iron drawers screwed to the damn chair of course. I doubt you would like her anymore as a giggling mess showing her drawers either were your suggestion taken up, but we would all have a giggle.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 05:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shiloh7
a reply to: crazyewok

She keeps her seat by wearing iron drawers screwed to the damn chair of course. I doubt you would like her anymore as a giggling mess showing her drawers either were your suggestion taken up, but we would all have a giggle.

I just can't stand stand her and her dour attitude
Even half her party don't like her !

She would be happier in labour as they love over the top big brother!

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 06:09 AM
link   
She's a very scary woman with links to all the lowest scumbags who have had threads posted about them on here.

She's in it up to her eyeballs.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Am I right in guessing "It's for the children"...?

Where do the parents come into the equation???

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   

I honestly find Theresa May absolutely frightening mate.

I've noticed over the last few years that she has the classical warped perspective of society that comes once you've been playing their game for this long - and her particular flavour of the game (deep right-wing).

Power-tripping is putting it lightly - she seems to genuinely believe that she has a God-given gift to decide the fate of millions of people without having to listen to anyone but herself.

Her proposed extremism laws are ludicrous and completely detrimental to the same 'British values' that she's constantly claiming to protect.

She knows she's talking complete nonsense to the people though, and that's why she's scary. She's clever like the rest of them, but it's the ugliest form of 'clever' that a human can be - manipulative.

I find it hard to believe that we have to introduce laws that essentially illegalize peaceful protests (if they disrupt public service for example - but no one is physically hurt) and a complete surveillance state to combat terrorism.

I see it as us having lost to terrorism the moment an entire nation has to be monitored.

We already have normal people looking at certain races differently in this country due to terrorism and the other day a woman at work broke down saying anyone on her street could be a potential suicide bomber - a society under a constant state of fear is not good.

I'm one of those 1984'ers who is strongly against a 'the walls have ears' society because it can never end well. We'd be essentially worse off than our cavemen ancestors who could probably trust people within their 2-mile radius - something not a lot of people can say today.

By May's logic, things like 9/11 or anti-government conspiracies would be extremism and potentially even what I'm saying right now could be taken as being against the 'democratic institution' and hence I could potentially be displaying extremist behaviour.

See the problem here?

I thought our British values were things like freedom of speech, the right to privacy, and freedom of movement? All three things are being simultaneously attacked under the pretence of being defended.

Theresa May is even begging for water cannons and rubber bullets due to increased 'austerity measures' while at the same time telling the Police Federation to stuff themselves and that because we've had less crime reported since we've cut police numbers she's going to continue cutting the forces even more - is this some kind of sick joke.

Seriously, this is starting to sound less like Britain and more like America each and every day.

I'm deeply anxious about the growing split in society already caused by political games over the last decade or so. These next 5 years may divide the country in a way not seen since the times of Thatcher.

We'll see what happens I guess.

I love this country and it's people too much to have to see it degrade like this though. It's a real shame if that's the fate of things. We lost our power a long time ago anyway. All we have left is our kindness to one another.
edit on 22-5-2015 by DazDaKing because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   
If I was in power, I'd ban talk shows and bring back adult education programs and the Open University.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   
It seems the revolution will not be televised afterall

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: DazDaKing

"I'm deeply anxious about the growing split in society already caused by political games over the last decade or so. These next 5 years may divide the country in a way not seen since the times of Thatcher".

I hope that that divide you identify will be not between the people of this country but between the government and its institutions it uses to shut us up and the people - I suspect we are getting ready for a revolution - although I dread it.
Vert good points you raise.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   

I think what they are referring to is not censoring Eastenders or Corrie, but rather the more unusual channels at the far end of the EPG of a certain faith-based nature....

If you've ever watched some of those (and I have on a night shift..) some of the content is borderline incitement.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

If you've ever been on the receiving end of a Local Authority inquisition into your family life, you'll realise that as a parent you are always being second guessed.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   
It's been a while since I have lived in the UK.

I wasn't aware that televisions didn't come in with "off" switches any longer.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: stumason I've only got free view so can't get those channels. Maybe that's why I've never seen anything that would really need censoring. Still censorship seems like a sledge hammer to crack a nut. I'm sure a complaint to ofcom would be enough if there was incitement to violence on any channel.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join