It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

International Doctors Demand Immediate Ban on Glyphosate Herbicides

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 02:00 AM
link   
link

Some snips:

The International Society of Doctors for the Environment (ISDE) has written to officials of the EU Parliament and Commission asking for an immediate ban on glyphosate herbicides and four insecticides judged by the World Health Organisation’s cancer agency, IARC, to be probable carcinogens.

The ISDE’s Board includes doctors from Europe, North and South America, Pakistan, and Kenya. ISDE has national and regional member organisations in over 25 different countries.

copy of the letter

link to letter

So they(IARC (International Agency for Research on Cancer) have been warning about these pesticides since 1991 (from the letter) and we have pumped billions into fighting cancer but big business continues to dose all our food with these products.

It really does boggle the mind how f####d up the way we allow this planet to be run truly is.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 02:06 AM
link   
If we want abundant, highly quality/quantity produce, we need some form of pesticide to ensure this. Farmers are the only ones who truly appreciate the need for it as it is there lively hoods that will be destroyed as a result.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 02:09 AM
link   
nope, organic gardening doesn't work
and hasn't for the several thousand years since it was invented
everyone knows that
sark/off

SANDF OP
see these little guys?

Gut Bacteria May Play a Role in Autism

www.scientificamerican.com...
we need them

and since i am living the dream and successful at treating it, Ill go with the reality of it

edit on Thuam5b20155America/Chicago56 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

re the accurate comment about cancer reaserch above
by way of explaination:
I just read somewhere ONLY about three percent of the money actually goes towards cancer
edit on Thuam5b20155America/Chicago06 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

edit on Thuam5b20155America/Chicago24 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Quality versus quantity.
Who cares if it cuts our life short by a few decades if we never have to stoop over to pick a few weeds?

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Glyphosate is so bad, Colombia doesn't want it being used on their coc aine.

Don't let the irony slip past you too quickly.

The Colombian government is to stop using glyphosate herbicide on its illegal coca plants after the weed killer was found to contain chemicals that cause cancer.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 02:14 AM
link   
a reply to: rossacus

Very true but this can be done without the application of pesticides and fertilisers that are full of dubious chemicals with carcinogenic properties.

i live in farming land and work in recycling so I provide 10,000's of tons of composted green and separately composted food waste. We also supply digestate liquids as a liquid feed.

ALL the farmers and estate managers I deal with her in the UK scream for the stuff and have been steadily cutting back on manufactured ferts. as much as possible.

As an aside putting natures goodness (compost) back in the land also massively benefits the soil structure and aids disease suppression there too.

I have even been over to Nigeria to meet with their Environmental Minister to help them compost more over there (they just burn everything) and they are very interested in the improvement to soil erosion adding compost can make too.
edit on 21-5-2015 by johnb because: spelling

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 03:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: rossacus
If we want abundant, highly quality/quantity produce, we need some form of pesticide to ensure this. Farmers are the only ones who truly appreciate the need for it as it is there lively hoods that will be destroyed as a result.

Thats complete nonsense!
Organic farming has been proven to be more efficient per acre! It does require a bit more manual labour, but then, that does provides more jobs!

BAN THE POISONS.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 04:53 AM
link   
a reply to: johnb

I guess this is good news albeit slow as heck.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Malarky...wrong....baloney! Do you farm? I do and you are dead wrong.a reply to: rossacus

edit on 21-5-2015 by BlueJacket because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Glyphosates have to go. Period.

The biggest problem is corporate large-scale farming... and the ultimate solution is small-scale farming, including community gardens and home veggie gardens. The benefits would be immeasurable -- for our health, our economy, our fascist government woes, and on and on.

Especially our taste buds!!! After eating tomatoes or corn or pretty much anything from your own garden or the local farmers market, supermarket produce is sadly lacking in flavor. My kids were so spoiled by eating cherry tomatoes right off the vine as they were growing up that they won't eat store-bought tomatoes!

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Sure hope we get some pressure on chemical agriculture over here in the US soon. We sure could use it.

From 2012

Although I read a very recent article claiming "weeds" are now nearly critically resistant to glyphosate and 2-4D is poised to replace it almost entirely.

The host website on which the article was posted got upgraded or something and now I can no longer locate the article.

Here is the old URL in case someone knows how to track down the dang thing.

www.pesticide.org...

a reply to: Boadicea

I agree. There's no reason every city can't be surrounded by small family farms that produce most of the ingredients consumed within the city. There's no over-stating the importance of local food production.

posted on Jun, 13 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boomorangatangarang

Although I read a very recent article claiming "weeds" are now nearly critically resistant to glyphosate and 2-4D is poised to replace it almost entirely.

I could not find the article you referred to either at the website, but here is another that makes the same point:

GMOs are crops modified to withstand weed killers that would otherwise damage the crop. The GMOs are then planted seasonally and sprayed year after year with the weed killers that are meant to kill all the plants in the field other than the GMO crop. At first this process seems to work: most of the weeds die and the GMO crops thrive. But those few weeds that are hardy enough to survive the chemical onslaught are the only weeds in the field left to reproduce. So over time, this process ends up favoring the most difficult weeds to kill. These herbicide-resistant weeds are known as “superweeds.” And they end up requiring more weed killers to manage. Superweeds, have now become an epidemic on farmland in many locations across the country. The most common superweeds are resistant to glyphosate, the active ingredient in Monsanto’s popular herbicide Roundup, but resistance is appearing to herbicides used with other GMO crops as well. Today, more than 61.2 million acres of U.S. farmland are infested with weeds resistant to Roundup, which has been the world’s best-selling weed killer for more than 30 years. A 2012 survey showed that 49 percent of U.S. farmers reported finding superweeds in their fields.

The host website on which the article was posted got upgraded or something and now I can no longer locate the article.

Looking around the website, I found a page with links to various pesticide factsheets:

Pesticide Facsheets

And I cannot thank you enough for this link. Bless your heart!

edit on 13-6-2015 by Boadicea because: formatting

top topics

join