It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian spy plane overflies Lancashire, UK.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I didn't really know where to post this, given the backstory, so I posted it here.

Apparently, the "open-skies" policy we made back in the day allows for various overflights from Russia and the UK.

The question I suppose is, is it better to maintain this policy in the hopes of not further deteriorating an already dangerous situation.

Or should this policy now be abandoned?

A Russian spy plane has flown an observation mission across Britain under an international military treaty. The Antonov An-30 was photographed over Lancashire as it made the unarmed reconnaissance flight at the weekend.
The Ministry of Defence said six RAF crew were also on board the plane during the flight and it was temporarily based at Brize Norton.
Russia is allowed to make two routine reconnaissance flights over Britain each year under the 2002 Open Skies Treaty, which was designed to increase confidence and build bridges after the Cold War.
Britain conducted a similar flight over Russia on Saturday and will take part in three others this year.

I don't really know lol, what do you guys think?

Original source

edit on 20-5-2015 by Jonjonj because: added info

edit on 20-5-2015 by Jonjonj because: added link

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   
What does it gain or lose as a project? the ruskies pop over on a plane and take some photo's and anything of interest have been well hidden and the same when we decide to pop over and visit the ruskies so all it really does is give a few flight crews a chance of doing some long range mileage and perhaps a bit of shopping

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Given the resolution capability of satellites these days....I don't think a few scenic photographs from these planes are going to do much harm......besides, there was UK personnel on board.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Much ado about nothing.As it's been going on for 13 years now under the strict conditions of the treaty,I don't know why we need to 'think' anything at all.The Ruskies like to pop over to Oxfordshire for tea and scones like they have done for some time now,our guys pop over there and enjoy some okroshka when they have the time.

Should we still allow it,why not as long as Putin says it's game on?

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Maxatoria

They've actually been quite useful. Both sides have used them to verify treaty compliance among other things.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Zap , this is a way off topic but I can't find any info. Are there any Spector gunships operating presently in Iraq?

Throw me some kind of link I won't reply to this thread.

edit on 20-5-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Maxatoria

Yes I guess so. There were RAF squaddies on the flight too. It just seems like rather a strange treaty doesn't it?
It is like a you show me yours, I will show you mine. Except that it is a charade, because anything of interest is hidden.

A show of good faith then.

The question I suppose is should we continue the policy.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

They weren't designed to see anything secret, they were designed to monitor nuclear and conventional forces to prevent surprises, and ensure treaty compliance.

It was a good idea when it started and it still is today.
edit on 5/20/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

Sorry, no links. There were but I haven't kept up if they rotated home.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Come out luv, says I, wave a bit a ole Ivan eh?

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Thanks for that, I know you know your stuff regarding aircraft and military things.

Does the US have a similar treaty?

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Most of NATO is a signatory to the Open Skies treaty. The US has a C-135 they use that has Open Skies painted across the tail to identify it.

OC-135
edit on 5/20/2015 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   

There are certain things a plane can gather that a satellite can't, primarily it's about listening.
But this is all quite pointless right now anyway, given that we have a system in the UK to shut down all potentially sensitive sites when such a flyover is happening.

They won't gather anything from this, and we won't gather anything from a flight over Russia - it's all nothing more than a PR exercise, and a weak one at that.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Maxatoria
What does it gain or lose as a project? the ruskies pop over on a plane and take some photo's and anything of interest have been well hidden and the same when we decide to pop over and visit the ruskies so all it really does is give a few flight crews a chance of doing some long range mileage and perhaps a bit of shopping

I don't know about the Russkies Maxatoria, but sure do love me some BETTY PAGE!!!

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013

They do get info. A lot of people confuse Open Skies with the flights Russia does along the ADIZ, and they're totally different.

Under Open Skies, they're only allowed to mount commercial grade cameras with no SIGINT/ELINT gear, and they have observers from the host nation on board. In fact if they choose the nation being overflown will provide an aircraft for their use.

They have to give 72 hour notice minimum, and only have a limited number of flights a year.

After signing a nuclear disarmament treaty, the US detected activity consistent with refueling missiles that were supposed to be dismantled. They used one of their flights to fly over the area and confirmed that they were defueling them.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   
From the thread title it appeared to be a covert unauthorized overfly of impending doom but it was just a courtesy treaty sweetner jaunt. Still, interesting to learn about.

Doubtful if the flights coincided with the MOD moving hardware across country or leaving sensitive equipment or strategic plans out in the midday sun on that particular day. Hardly spot anything a Russian satellite couldn't see anyway imho.

I think its quite a good diplomatic thing for friendly nations to do. While there is civility and interaction there is always scope for communication and peace. Its symbolism is valuable.

Probably more 'selfies' taken that day on board the Russian plane.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I can't help to think that when Western forces do a recon mission, there is a real objective that fits into a game plan. When Russians do it, it seems like they are just doing it for show, or to prove a point.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 11:06 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyingFox

The real flights are designed to test response times, radar and communications frequencies.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Interestingly I was driving past Lincoln Nebraska today, near Offutt AFB, and saw the OC-135 go over pretty low.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I live in between Warton and Salmesbury bases, there's been nothing apart from the odd fighter jet flyover, which has happened since at least 2002.

However 7 - 5 weeks ago we kept seeing completely unmarked small passenger sized planes (3/4 size) flying due Warton/Barrow at a long stretch. Neither of us are plane buffs by any means but we'd both never seen anything completely blank before. We're not exactly conspiracy types, just both come from aero development families so notice flyobers and like to ponder such things,

I'm sure there's a perfectly well proven explanation for this, I'm just intrigued is all

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join