It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SR-72

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Born in the spy-vs.-spy cauldron of the Cold War, the iconic SR-71 “Blackbird” remains the fastest air-breathing military aircraft the world has known. It flew so high and so fast that enemy defenses were powerless to intercept it. Eventually, satellite technology and advanced radar eroded its advantage. In 1998, the U.S. Air Force retired it. Now, with regional threats growing and portable surface-to-air missiles evolving, engineers have once again set out to build the fastest military jet on the planet.

This time, it will take the form of a 4,000-mile-per-hour reconnaissance drone with strike capability. Known as the SR-72, the aircraft will evade assault, take spy photos, and attack targets at speeds of up to Mach 6. That’s twice as fast as its predecessor.

Aeronautical engineers at Lockheed Martin and Aerojet Rocket­dyne have been designing the SR-72 at their Skunk Works black site in California for the past several years. It will require a hybrid propulsion system: a conventional, off-the-shelf turbo jet that can take the plane from runway to Mach 3, and a hypersonic ramjet/scramjet that will push it the rest of the way. Its body will have to withstand the extreme heat of hypersonic flight, when air friction alone could melt steel. Its bombs will have to hit targets from possibly 80,000 feet.

Lockheed says the craft could be deployed by 2030.
Once it is, the plane’s ability to cover one mile per second means it could reach any location on any continent in an hour—not that you’ll see it coming.

"We are now on the verge of a hypersonic revolution."
—Brad Leland, Lockheed Martin's Hypersonic Program Manager

In my opinion the idea that it is not running today is implausible.

Any thoughts?

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 11:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Kashai

It's a good question, but I think you'd be sorely disappointed in your opinion.

Do some searching about the "green lady" and some of her pals in this forum. You'll get some interesting tidbits.

Edit to add: Misread your follow up to the article. My mistake. Yeah, there was more than likely something in place to fill the gap between them and what's officially planned for the future.

Left my original post for posterity.

edit on 5/19/2015 by cmdrkeenkid because: (no reason given)

edit on 5/19/2015 by cmdrkeenkid because: Second edit solely to mention my lack of reason for the first edit.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 11:09 PM
link   
a reply to: cmdrkeenkid

That is what I mean.

Clearly when the SR-71 was decommissioned and sent to NASA, their was a replacement which we are learning about now.

Any thoughts?

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 12:01 AM
link   
There are already a few threads on this very topic. Please use the search function.

Hell, there's a thread titled literally the same thing, at the top of this very page!

Look

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Using the have blue projects, from inception to public unveiling as a timeline, IMO it is naive to think black projects that are 2-3 generations ahead are in development. I was suspicious when they retired the SR71, with no replacement named.
There seem to be glimpses, at times, of a replacement--donuts on a string contrails, sonic signatures not associated with known aircraft, vague sightings but no concrete evidence of a current hypersonic reconnaissance bird. By the time anything is leaked, outfits like the Skunksworks are working on what will be revealed in 15-20 years.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 12:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Boscowashisnamo

Donuts on a rope contrails can appear because of wind conditions. I have seen it a number of times after watching a commercial aircraft pass overhead.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 05:40 AM
link   
DARPA might by slowly shying away from the Sr72 and going to a new route via the PGS system.The Blackswift I think might have been a stepping stone to something better.
Prompt Global Strike

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 05:52 AM
link   
SR-72 wiki page - shrug.......fantasy speculation that it's been operating for years or whatever is just that.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 06:18 AM
link   
They continue to research aircraft and engines for an Aerospace plane, meaning an aircraft that can take off go into orbit and then land back on earth. Satellites have taken over the role of the SR-71, X-37, and UAV provide the same reconnaissance and even better that the SR-71 did.

There really is no good reason to build an aircraft with similar capabilities that has a human in the seat. It would have to be slower, more expensive and increase the risk of using it. Makes no sense to create such an aircraft at this point.

Once they can fly from Earth atmosphere to space you will see a resurgence of manned modals but I seriously doubt there is a compelling mission for a manned spy plane like SR-71.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 07:48 AM
link   

My thoughts are that an aircraft that is described exists and is in a somewhat operational role but the technologies used in its construction are still too advanced to reveal to the rest of the world. I would almost go as far as saying this current one is not the direct descendant of the Blackbird but a descendant of a descendant.

I could be wrong though, not ashamed to admit that. Its just the impression I get from reading the other threads which are VERY interesting. Only thing is most of the pics are missing from the older ones.

I would also recommend reading into the aircraft the internet calls the Brilliant Buzzard or super Valkyrie and also into "single stage to orbit" and "orbit on demand" aircraft.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: StratosFear

I think we do as well.

Someone once foretold.

When that floats out the hanger for its first flight......

ATS will melt. Twice.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 08:21 AM
link   

I recommend you take a look at a thread here called strange California sighting.

Enjoy the read.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 08:34 AM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

And you might want to read some of these posts.

www.abovetopsecret.com...&list=posts

interesting stuff.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Xeven

Well let's see there, satellites are predictable to the minute. The X-37, once in orbit, is a satellite. The Global Hawk is one of our better UAV ISR platforms and it's big, slow, vulnerable, and currently carries a camera system that isn't as good as that carried by the U-2.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Who is this astr0 guy you sent a link to? He has some really interesting threads and posts. I think the op should check them out.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

I know.

That's a very interesting rabbit hole to go down.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Did anyone ever figure out what was causing the strange booms over New England and Great Britain within a similar time frame last fall? Don't remember what came of that, if it was attributed to something natural or something black.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Same here, I live right underneath the "air highway" into new york center. Pretty much guaranteed to see a plane fly over at 10,000 - 15,000 feet every few minutes. I have seen planes causing the donuts on a rope several times. Finally got a picture of one starting, just wish i didn't have my phone on hdr as it looked much better with my eyes than this picture. Contrail

edit : insert image from your library was blank....
edit on 4231055201531America/ChicagoWed, 20 May 2015 09:42:05 -0500Wed, 20 May 2015 09:42:05 -050042 by nepatitan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   
methinks lockheeds fusion reactor is operational and small enough to power a high speed drone.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

I don't think it's operational in the field yet. They would be able to make too much money to keep that in the black.

Plus, if it were operational, they wouldn't need something fast. Something with a high altitude, low observability, and persistent loiter time would be best. Yes, I'm looking at you, P-791. (Or something similar, anyway.)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join