It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British Police Feared "Trekkies" Would Overthrow Government.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   
BRITISH POLICE FEARED “TREKKIES” WOULD OVERTHROW GOVERNMENT
Link to article.

..it was reported by the Guardiann that “Trekkies”, or Star Trek fanatics, were labeled as a possible threat by British police. A hidden Scotland Yard document has recently revealed that police feared that Sci-Fi fans could potentially “turn on society” or “start a cult.”

The file was undated, but it is alleged to have originated around 1998 or 1999. The document also listed concern about other popular shows at the time such as X-Files.

Dr Clarke, who originally obtained the report, told The Guardian that “The documents show the police and security services were concerned about the export of some new religious movements concerning UFOs and aliens from the USA in the aftermath of the mass suicide by followers of the Heaven’s Gate. It’s no coincidence this occurred around 1997 – which was the 50th anniversary of the birth of UFOs and the Roswell incident – at a time when the net was buzzing with rumours about aliens and cover-ups.”

The police are currently denying any knowledge of this report.

Who would connect Star Trek with the Heaven's Gate cult?

Weird, no?

edit on 5/19/2015 by Blaine91555 because: Repaired link.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: wasaka
Plastic Spock ears can be very intimidating.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   
There's power in numbers!
I dont think it was because they were trekkies, just that a lot of people were uniting.
Divide and conquer is the game.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Our security service make reports on my possible threat or social disturbance even if its BS.

If true its likely some report that was filed and forgot.

They probably didn’t think it a threat just a possibility.

Would not be surprised if MI5 and Scotland yard have a report that say Cat videos may encourage a cats to rise up and overthrow our Human civilisation.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Jesus...
then we are all on a list somewhere.

link   
We have taken over.
We're just bound by the prime directive not to interfere.

link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

Our security service make reports on my possible threat or social disturbance even if its BS.

If true its likely some report that was filed and forgot.

They probably didn’t think it a threat just a possibility.

Would not be surprised if MI5 and Scotland yard have a report that say Cat videos may encourage a cats to rise up and overthrow our Human civilisation.

Who would open their tins of catfood? I think cats are just not that stupid.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

Agreed.
Any group of people uniting in large numbers will always be on the watch list to police/security services/etc.
Be that environmental activists, free party/ravers, political groups, or those identifying with a particular social 'thing'.
Doesn't surprise me, although I doubt it was their major concern, just 'one to keep an eye on'.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Trekkies would be preferable to Twinkies! Unless they are the chocolate ones!

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Trekkies taking over the government was actually a very real threat in the late 1990's, that was until us Star Wars fans sorted them out.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   

It's just a phaser that they are going through .

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: wasaka
BRITISH POLICE FEARED “TREKKIES” WOULD OVERTHROW GOVERNMENT
www.blacklistednews.com... l

..it was reported by the Guardiann that “Trekkies”, or Star Trek fanatics, were labeled as a possible threat by British police. A hidden Scotland Yard document has recently revealed that police feared that Sci-Fi fans could potentially “turn on society” or “start a cult.”

The file was undated, but it is alleged to have originated around 1998 or 1999. The document also listed concern about other popular shows at the time such as X-Files.

Dr Clarke, who originally obtained the report, told The Guardian that “The documents show the police and security services were concerned about the export of some new religious movements concerning UFOs and aliens from the USA in the aftermath of the mass suicide by followers of the Heaven’s Gate. It’s no coincidence this occurred around 1997 – which was the 50th anniversary of the birth of UFOs and the Roswell incident – at a time when the net was buzzing with rumours about aliens and cover-ups.”

The police are currently denying any knowledge of this report.

Who would connect Star Trek with the Heaven's Gate cult?

Weird, no?

Well, 'The Tempest' is a crazy play about power, and magic and general silliness, I don't think it started much in the way of cults, even though the ingredients are there.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   
KKAAAAAAAHNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Really though, who doesn't the government fear?

They live in fear, probably has something to do with subconscious guilt because they know most of what they do is wrong.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I wonder if Bronies are included in any report.....straight from BronieCon

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   
We prefer to be called "Trekkers", thank you very much!

I am now going to "Vulcan neck-pinch" my way into authority.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

I am sure everything 'non-conformist' is kept an eye on when it reaches a certain amount of people interested in the same thing.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

I am sure everything 'non-conformist' is kept an eye on when it reaches a certain amount of people interested in the same thing.

When the number of non-conformists reaches a certain critical mass then they aren't non-conformists any more.

Frankly, I don't think a world where Trek fans were in charge would be so bad.

edit on 19-5-2015 by Junkheap because: I can't grammar.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Makes sense. This is why Bitcoin uses are a threat.
If they happen to be "Trekkies" all the more reason
to watch their every move. We can't have them
forming their own United Federation of Planets!

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
We prefer to be called "Trekkers", thank you very much!

I am now going to "Vulcan neck-pinch" my way into authority.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join