It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is how the UK handles police brutality

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Someone doesn't know how to do a Google search. Cops in the U.S. are indeed charged for for stuff like this. Just like in every industry, about 20% of police officers will be dicks (just like whatever industry you're in). When they screw up and get caught, they are charged.

Two things to consider...

1. The U.K. has about 129,585 police officers compared to 765,000 police officers in the U.S.
2. There are 64,000,000 people living in the U.K. compared to 318,000,000 in the U.S.

...So yeah, the U.S. is going to have more incidents than the U.K.

But you know, since bashing the U.S. is in style right now, I understand where you're coming from. Keep going with the crowd, you'll be very popular around here.
edit on 20-5-2015 by OnTheMove because: My crappy grammar.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 03:59 AM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

In fairness, Mark Duggan probably deserved it, I'm sure (I could be wrong), that a gun was found.

As for the Brazil guy mentioned a few posts down...he jumped a turnstile, possibly with a backpack on, at a time where tensions were high over terrorism. Probably didn't deserve to die, but when armed plod shout stop, you don't don't do the fairy dance.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 04:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: woogleuk

In fairness, Mark Duggan probably deserved it, I'm sure (I could be wrong), that a gun was found.

As for the Brazil guy mentioned a few posts down...he jumped a turnstile, possibly with a backpack on, at a time where tensions were high over terrorism. Probably didn't deserve to die, but when armed plod shout stop, you don't don't do the fairy dance.

Yeah a gun was found.

He had chucked it though. The debate and contention in the inquest was if the armed police had seen him chuck it.

Its a difficult one. The whole reason thebpolice were following him was because they had intel on him buying a gun and killing someone that day. He had a long rap sheet of violent gang related crime.

It was a blunder to take the shot for sure. But if you live by the sword you will die by it. Violent crime only ends two ways jail or death.

Thing if I was on the inquest therebis far too much reasonble doubt for me to think a trial would be worth it for the officer that took the shot.

Im less forgiving on the brazilian case though.
edit on 20-5-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 04:19 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Don't get me wrong, what happened to the Brazilian was a tragic mistake, but in my opinion it was just that, a mistake.

A couple of weeks after the London bombings, and the day after the failed bombing attempt, nerves were bound to be frayed.

If the police report is to be believed, I think Menezez didn't help himself and his actions led to the first shot being fired.

If someone has a belt/rucksack bomb, you don't really want to take chances.

That being said, I think the police probably did overreact and the whole situation could have been avoided had it been a bit calmer.
edit on 20/5/15 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 04:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse I just hope that when you say England, you mean England and not the entire UK. Otherwise I may start referring to places like the USA as Texas. Also UK police do carry firearms not all but alot. If you need an armed police officer anywhere in the UK they can be there within 5 minutes, and they tend to carry the G36c and a Glock.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 05:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: woogleuk

No, he didn't jump a turnstyle. One of the officers following him did. And none of the witnesses (as opposed to the officers who bungled the whole thing) heard any cry of 'Armed police, stop!' and in fact the armed police were in mufti. Here.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 05:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shiloh7

A guy I know went to court after a police raid on his house - he was growing weed - big deal.

big enough deal to get raided. thats all i needed to read.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 07:04 AM
link   
a reply to: AngryCymraeg

That and they planted witnesses in the news on the day saying he was wearing a padded jacket and had a bag with wires sticking out of it. If they thought he was a terrorist why let him board a bus before getting off to go to the station?

I was living in Brixton when it happened which is a 5 minute walk from Stockwell and attended the vigil. I recall on the day the news stated that the family had requested the public stay away as they wanted it to be a private gathering but I went anyway. Predictably the turnout was fairly low. When I asked Jean Charles' brother about it he was shocked to learn they'd said that.

England isn't more civilised when it comes to police at all. They're less armed which results in less shootings but deaths still occur in custody. They've been found to be institutionally racist, institutionally corrupt and secretive which is probably the same the world over. One case of a cop being found guilty at a time when the government is trying to justify funding cuts isn't really a sign of progress.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 08:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Anubis259

Why would anyone mean anywhere else but England when they say England. I'm Irish, wife's side is Scottish and I also know all about the wankers in Wales.

I love it when you guys think your heritage is complicated. I guess you can chalk that up to English imaginary exceptionalism.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 08:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse
a English imaginary exceptionalism.

No no no you got all wrong.

America has exceptionalism.

Britain has superiority

either way you inherited it off us

edit on 20-5-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Wait a minute aren't you guys ruled by Norse Frenchmen?
edit on 20-5-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Oh look, another inferiority complex thread.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: mekhanics

We have our civilized moments, too.

That's good, a bit of lateral worked.
Whatever happened to that Bolas net thing that got plugged a lot of years ago? it was supposed to be the bee's knees for that kind of situation.

The cost overruns of sparing life are too high these days. Screw it, shoot 'em and bomb them, starve 'em and evict them.

Distinct difference nowadays?

Check out this one...
edit on 20-5-2015 by intrptr because: lnk

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

yeah, it's just your pedophile government officials you need to look out for

I'm an American, do you really think we don't have pedophiles as elected officials?!?!? What?!?!

Hell by your logic the whole worlds pedophiles, since most of our great grand mothers were married off at 13....

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Not any more. Now we have lots of Germans. They arrived three hundred years and started breeding like rabbits. It's an infestation.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy

a reply to: mekhanics

We have our civilized moments, too.

That's good, a bit of lateral worked.
Whatever happened to that Bolas net thing that got plugged a lot of years ago? it was supposed to be the bee's knees for that kind of situation.

The cost overruns of sparing life are too high these days. Screw it, shoot 'em and bomb them, starve 'em and evict them.

Distinct difference nowadays?

Check out this one...

I don't see how...

It cost 40k per inmate per year in the US, I might be wrong, but it's hard to imagain the death penalty being more expensive then that.

I'm all for the death penalty for the true monsters where guilt isn't a question. It's more humane for them and cheaper for us. Right now we torture people. Which some would say they deserve. However we shouldn't lower ourselves to there level. Put them down like a dog with rabies

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

I wouldn't go round pointing fingers bro, your gov' officials ain't saints either.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: EA006

Oh, calm down, bro...the winky smiley face indicated light-heartedness.

Our politicians suck ass over here...well, at least 99% of them do.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Entreri06

Goodness, do people not have a sense of humor around here?

I'll quote myself to respond to you:

originally posted by: SlapMonkey
a reply to: EA006

Oh, calm down, bro...the winky smiley face indicated light-heartedness.

Our politicians suck ass over here...well, at least 99% of them do.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Shhhhhhhhh the world is not meant to know that

We got our fighting spirit from the Vikings and our arrogance from the French

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join