It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Upgrading from an Intel i5 2320 suggestions.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: WeSbO

I suppose so, but I tend to pull the 95 off my PSU anyway, with the subsequent revo drives and dual card configuration.

My current CPU draws 225W just on it's own.

~Tenth

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Double.
edit on 5/19/2015 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Yeah I'm pulling around 250w from my fx8350 at full load, and I'm using a 850w psu (which is overkill) but gives me a headroom for sli (well that's why I got it any ways) but I probably won't go sli now, waiting for this silly 390x to come out, if it does one day lol.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: buni11687
First , I do not see the amount of RAM or speed listed. Very key to running the newer games. 8-16 gb of ddr 1600 should suffice)

Second . back around 2008 or before , both Intel and AMD came out with statements they no longer were pushing the processor speed any more , but were turning all attention to efficiency . A 6 core processor at 3 ghz will actually perform better than a 4 core at 3.3ghz or 3.5ghz

Third , GPUs only count for loading textures. All the rendering is done by the above mentioned processor. The only "GPU" that would assist in the rendering would be something like the Nvidia Tesla card.

Fourth , and not least the HDD speed. All those 2048 or 4096 textures are loaded to the HDD. It is almost #1 in the lag or choppiness in games

My build over kill for most games , but was cheap to build
Asrock 970 extreme3 r2.0 -MB
AMD FX 6300 Black Box Edition 3.5GHz Six-Core
Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB DDR3-1600 - 16gb
2x HIS Radeon R7 240 iCooler Boost Clock 2GB in AMD Crossfire
one 500gb SSD Samsung 850 Pro Series 512GB SATA III 6Gb/s

edit on 19-5-2015 by Gothmog because: correct a value

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
First , I do not see the amount of RAM or speed listed. Very key to running the newer games. 8-16 gb of ddr 1600 should suffice)

16gb at this very moment is useless for gaming (unless you have a ton of bloatware on your pc, browser full of tabs open, paintshop pro loaded with a massive picture etc...), during intense gaming at 4k in GTAV for example you use max 4go of ram (except for when it had a memory leak problem which is a different story altogether), and if your OS is using more than 4gigs of ram then you have a major problem. For standard 1080p 1440p gaming you'll be lucky if you ever see the ram go over 3gb. But that will change one day but DDR4 will be the norm by then. At 8gb of ram you will be affected by the lack of vram befor the lack of ram

Benefit of RAM speed will depend on the arcitechture of the CPU, for example, Piledriver/bulldozer don't benefit from higher ram, the AMD recent APUs do, generally the benefit over price of ram speed is not worth it, even with Intel. But yes 1600 is the norm, but you won't see any difference between 1333 and 1600, at the same CPU frequency.
Source (reputable testers) :
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...

Second . back around 2008 or before , both Intel and AMD came out with statements they no longer were pushing the processor speed any more , but were turning all attention to efficiency . A 6 core processor at 3 ghz will actually perform better than a 4 core at 3.3ghz or 3.5ghz

True (which is why I mentioned earlier that devs are stupid for putting minimum/recommended speeds in their specs) , but for example, for intel since sandy bridge, though improvements have been made, again it's nothing ground-breaking... The real improvements will come with 16µm - 14µm processes

Third , GPUs only count for loading textures. All the rendering is done by the above mentioned processor. The only "GPU" that would assist in the rendering would be something like the Nvidia Tesla card.

What ??? If I've understood correctly you are saying that GPUS are only used to load textures (please correct me if I've misunderstood you) , but this is completely untrue, in reality the GPU has to do way more calculating than a CPU, and it does it way faster on specific tasks (such as rendering), when it comes to games, pictures, etc, it's the GPU that does all the rendering because cpus can't do it fast enough, that's why they are called GRAPHICS PROCESSING UNITS... and not CENTRAL PROCESSING UNIT (which is made to do general tasks quickly).
The CPU sends binary code to the GPU through the PCI lanes, the GPU then translates this code and renders it, rasterizes it, renders the lightning, color and textures. That's why shader units, color compression, stream processors etc are important on a GPU and of course the bandwith of the VRAM, at what speed the video ram can communicate with the GPU.
And technically GPUs are way faster at processing than CPUs for heavy calculation, which is why they are used for bitcoin mining.
And then of course yes you do have different types of rendering, which requires different GPUS, rendering CG for movies for exemple requires a more powerfull rendering unit like the AMD firepros for exemple, these cards are set to be better on other instructions for other tasks. But it will always be the gpu that will render and process the graphics no matter what the gpu is.

Fourth , and not least the HDD speed. All those 2048 or 4096 textures are loaded to the HDD. It is almost #1 in the lag or choppiness in games

No wrong, HDD speed only affect loading times, the info is loaded on to the RAM and VRAM for most part, that is why you do not get any framerate or frametime improvement when going from a HDD to SSD.
What can cause choppiness (or stuttering in a game, which is bad frametimes) is the lack of VRAM on a GPU

Source : www.hardocp.com...

conclusion : [...] We can definitively state that our gaming performance as shown prior on our HDDs is exactly the same under the SSDs; there is no difference in gameplay performance

But SSDs are brilliant for boosting the speed of your overall use of the pc (except framerates), and an excellent "cheap" upgrade
edit on 19-5-2015 by WeSbO because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   
No the GPU does not "compute" anything. It merely loads textures and processes the frame.The rendering as I said comes through the CPU.

16 gb of ram is not wasted. As you said the info is loaded into RAM for processing. No , the game does not directly use that ram , but the info is stored . And that only applies to older games. More and more games are being released that break the 4gb limit.
On the topic of HDD speed , again the data is read and wrote back to the HDD at a tremendous rate.The lower the seek , read , and write times , the more efficient at loading games and RUNNING them . What you said would have been true before 2000 as mostly then entire game could be read and loaded into memory .

Oh , by the way a looonnnggg time gamer and a PC , server , laptop , networking (you name it) LTA at the largest computer company in the universe.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

No the GPU does not "compute" anything. It merely loads textures and processes the frame.The rendering as I said comes through the CPU.

Not quite. That's sort of a broad stroke explanation.

Physics are all controlled and processed by the GPU, so is anti-aliasing and variety of other GRAPHICS only features that are not supported by your CPU.

I don't need 2000 cuda cores to load 1080P textures.

More recent graphics cards even decode high-definition video on the card, offloading the central processing unit. The most common APIs for GPU accelerated video decoding are DxVA for Microsoft Windows operating system and VDPAU, VAAPI, XvMC, and XvBA for Linux-based and UNIX-like operating systems. All except XvMC are capable of decoding videos encoded with MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 ASP (MPEG-4 Part 2), MPEG-4 AVC (H.264 / DivX 6), VC-1, WMV3/WMV9, Xvid / OpenDivX (DivX 4), and DivX 5 codecs, while XvMC is only capable of decoding MPEG-1 and MPEG-2.

Source

Your Video card is actually much better than you CPU at doing all kinds of things, which is why BitCoin Miners use GPU's and NOT CPU's because they are better at complex tasks.

It is becoming increasingly common to use a general purpose graphics processing unit as a modified form of stream processor. This concept turns the massive computational power of a modern graphics accelerator's shader pipeline into general-purpose computing power, as opposed to being hard wired solely to do graphical operations. In certain applications requiring massive vector operations, this can yield several orders of magnitude higher performance than a conventional CPU. The two largest discrete (see "Dedicated graphics cards" above) GPU designers, ATI and Nvidia, are beginning to pursue this approach with an array of applications. Both Nvidia and ATI have teamed with Stanford University to create a GPU-based client for the Folding@home distributed computing project, for protein folding calculations. In certain circumstances the GPU calculates forty times faster than the conventional CPUs traditionally used by such applications.[34][35]

Same source.

~Tenth

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower
Sounds like you are describing the Nvidia Tesla card. Yes, they do process.And game textures are not measured by the display such as 1080p. They are measured exactly as any other file , in megabytes.Just like I stated 256 , 512 ,1024 ,2048 and 4096 mbs.(I dont know of a game that hits the 8 mb size yet) When the texture size meets or exceeds the limit of your RAM on the video card , the excess is written to a cache on your hdd.
And , by the way , the reason I know this beyond doubt , I am also a modder.
And for the AA ,subpixel AA ,fxaa , smaa (i.e , the special effects) are done in the frame rendering process on the video card , not on the cpu. The CPU has already processed that frame and passed it to the video card to render.
And any GPU COULD process way more efficently than any processor. A CPU has 1 , 2 , 3 ,4 ,6 , 8 , and 10 cores. A GPU has 100s if not 1000s in arrays. Unfortunately if you use them to process like a CPU you lose the rendering process. That is why GPU cards were developed in the beginning . To accelerate the entire processing to take the load off the CPU. They were developed mainly for servers as you could have a high performance cluster in one card.
edit on 19-5-2015 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-5-2015 by Gothmog because: spelling , new keyboard

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I do apologize OP for getting a bit into the debate on what should be upgraded. Witcher 3 (which I am ordering from Steam later on today) is a resource hungry game per the developers themselves. The game engine that they use , REDengine 3 is designed for meshes , skeletons , physics and movement. I dont see you listing the specs on the system you run on other than the CPU.If you could , pst the specs on your system or PM them to me and I will have a look.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Here's the spec's im pulling from the program CPU-Z:

Intel core i5 2320 @ 3.0 ghz
Windows 7
8 GBytes of DDR3 memory
1366x768 screen resolution

(not sure what else I should pull out)

I've also made a run to Frys to look around and found a Corsair 750 watt psu for $85 plus a $20 mail in rebate. I also saw that they have a MSI GTX 960 with 4GB. After all is said and done, the total comes out to $340. (That's pretty much right at my price limit, I cant really go any higher than that).

ETA - I do plan to keep this psu for when I switch out and get an entirely new pc in 18-24 months from now.
edit on 19-5-2015 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2015 @ 01:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

You can think all you want, but a GPU does NOT mearly load textures, the rendering is CERTAINLY not done buy the CPU, CPUs are terrible at rendering, GPUs are made to compute and render. Believe what you want, but i'll provide a very good source that explains how a GPU works, you should read : Link

Before we start talking about the clock frequency, let's get some terminology straight: the board that you stick in to your PCI express slot is the videocard and the processor on that board which renders your 3D game world, desktop and other stuff is called the GPU. The GPU really is a processor just like the Intel or AMD processor that sits on your mainboard. It is however a highly specialized processor that is designed specifically for the types of calculations that rendering a 3D world require. For this purpose this processor has multiple cores just like the CPU on your mainboard.

Oh and I reiterate, SSD and HDD only alow faster loader times for games, and do not give you better FPS, it's a well documented fact(and personally tested), even if we would like to believe that it's not the case theoretically, it unfortunately is...

Sorry I didn't reply earlier, I've only just seen these replies

top topics

<< 1   >>

join