It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Annoying abbreviations, included my most hated, "rUK"

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I hate these abbreviations!
I don't know what POTUS stands for. Though I see it all the time in posts here.
I have friends and colleagues who write me text messages in french version of this,
They think I am rude because I don't answer. I just have no idea what they wrote.

edit on 18-5-2015 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluesma

President of the United States

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: blupblup

Yep, when "the president" will suffice in any political discussion.
I find SCOTUS equally annoying, what's wrong with Supreme Court? We just call it "the Supreme Court" in the UK, not SCOTUK...oh I do hope we don't start picking up such silliness here.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
a reply to: blupblup

Yep, when "the president" will suffice in any political discussion.
I find SCOTUS equally annoying, what's wrong with Supreme Court? We just call it "the Supreme Court" in the UK, not SCOTUK...oh I do hope we don't start picking up such silliness here.

OMG!!!

I hope PMOTUK never takes off. I already have a special name for that post, but T&C's prevent use of such profanities.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

It really is a ridiculous way to abbreviate canine. There isn't a K in the word either...

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

Hahaha! PMOTUK would be more than just mildly annoying, at least you can make a word sound while saying POTUS.

*Edit*
Or even worse... PMOTrUK !! I'd go #ing nuts, I swear!

edit on 18.5.2015 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Good theread GOS!

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Hahaha! PMOTUK would be more than just mildly annoying, at least you can make a word sound while saying POTUS.

*Edit*

Lol, you don't really want to visit that long, dark corridor!!
edit on 18/5/15 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Haha cheers man

It is always good to note that if abbreviations (especially the Devil's own rUK) are all I have to whinge about tonight then life isn't so bad. First world problems and all.

...just thought I haven't seen TEOTWAWKI on the forums for a long while, that annoyed me as well.
TPTB is mildy irritating but I do not find myself rocking in my chair with crazed eyes as much as when I used to read TEOTWAWKI.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978

*Edit*

Lol, you don't really want to visit that long, dark corridor!!

Hahaha! If I ever start having thoughts of kicking Molly my cat then I'll contact my local mental health unit soon as, but I reckon TPMOTrUK could easily tip me over the edge!

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   
i think the term K9 came from the tv program dr who , and all the other abbreviations stem from texting on the mobile phones .

but what do i know ? i am just an old silver surfer .

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: tom.farnhill

See that's how I remember it, Doctor Who as a kid, I liked K-9, but he was a cool fictional robot dog not a living breathing animal.
Maybe that's why I think of US police K-9 units as more scary robo-dogs with dehumanised handlers

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Well, a "dog unit" doesnt scare me much. I'm familiar with dogs. I've had dogs as pets. I can kick a dogs ass. But a K9 unit? Holy crap man, I dont even want to mess with that beast, thats trained to kill! I think I'll just surrender now! It's all about fear. Unfamiliarity. We have dogs as pets. Dogs are mans best friend. A K9 is a whole different other animal... They've destroyed it's spirit and trained it to Attack! Attack! Attack! That's all it knows. That's how it gets rewarded. They give the command and it just sees red and literally cannot stop biting until it's been Ordered to!

THAT'S the difference. And wth is rUK? Do you mean to say it stands for "rest of UK"?
edit on 5/18/2015 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3n19m470
Well, a "dog unit" doesnt scare me much. I'm familiar with dogs. I've had dogs as pets. But a K9 unit? Holy crap man, I dont even want to mess with that beast, thats trained to kill! I think I'll just surrender now! It's all about fear. Unfamiliarity. We have dogs as pets. Dogs are mans best friend. A K9 is a whole different other animal... They've destroyed it's spirit and trained it to Attack! Attack! Attack! That's all it knows. That's how it gets rewarded. They give the command and it just sees red and literally cannot stop biting until it's been Ordered to!
Totally agreed, I imagine dehumanised handlers and attack robo-dogs with K-9 units.

THAT'S the difference. And wth is rUK? Do you mean to say it stands for "rest of UK"?
I'm not sure (rest/remaining), it is a new twee little abbreviation that I have only noticed coming from Scottish and Northern English members in independence debates so far. I Googled it and it seems to be a Scottish thing mainly. I hate it though, and see no need for such a label when UK clearly indicates 'the rest of the UK' in any discussions be they about England, Wales, Scotland, or Northern Ireland.
It is lame pop culture silliness as far as I'm concerned, there is no need for any preceding lower case "r" in any debate about any one nation of the UK while it is in dealings with the rest of the UK. Lame, and annoying, hence my rant.

*Edit*
rUK is not a 'thing' and I will use my energy in an attempt to make sure it does not ever become so in the UK.

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   

It's just a play on words. Sounds official and says what it is. K9 Unit

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: AutumnWitch657

I suppose it does sound a little more tactical and exciting than 'Dog Unit' as they are called in the UK.
Still makes me think of the robot dog on Doctor Who as a kid though.

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   

May as well continue my rant as I hear annoying made-up words or abbreviations.
I thought the contrived rUK invented by Scots nationalists was the most annoying, but no, MSM talking about the possible British exit of the EU are all calling it the Brexit???!!!
WTF?! It's a made up word, it's twee, bull#, and annoying.
I had of course heard it before but it seems to have won the day and will end up in next years dictionary.
Lame as # and lazy new-speak, Grr! [/rant]

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   

I actually guessed this would happen after the whole Grexit thing a whila ago mate.

It makes me shidder but the population loves a tag line and every good comedy needs a catchphrase.

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Argh! NO!! I won't accept it, Grexit/Brexit, speak #ing English for #'s sake and stop making stupid buzz words up to further dumb down and trivialise conversation!!!
We'll get that stupid rUK back soon when the SNP start rattling their independence sabres again, well they already have started again, but Brexit???!!! Sounds like some quick breakfast substitute for the 'stressful' business of 'modern life' you know, a lame arsed fruit bar or something masquerading as a real breakfast.

[/rocks wildly in chair with crazed eyes]

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Hubby is a big military history buff and says there was a K-9 Corp in the Army circa WW2, so it was a play on words for the unit that dealt with the war dogs.

Like any other name or abbreviation that military has churned out, it probably was used because it sounded both tactical enough to get attention and was shorthand. Mystery mostly solved.

Although my late grandmother, who was a big fan of English Bulldogs and had many papered ones, would argue it came about from an English Bulldog breeder. In England. In the 19th century. I believed it was coined at the (no ish) Canine Castle (kennel) in London, which was used for breeding the dogs. This is the origin I'm more likely to buy, to be honest. English did it first, lol.

Blame yourselves for this one, Brit boy

edit on 11/10/2015 by Nyiah because: Removed an additional use of Brit, lest I be lanbasted for excessive incorrect use

edit on 11/10/2015 by Nyiah because: Derp, typo.

edit on 11/10/2015 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join