It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mike's Spiritual Journey.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Hi everyone and thanks for checking out my thread. First off a little about myself and what I am hoping to accomplish. I'm 20 years old currently working as an IT consultant in Manhattan. This post started as an idea to allow me to travel the USA without fear of being in financial turmoil and still be able to support my single mother back home. I want to travel the USA to find myself and grow but still find a temporary job in each state I stop in to support my family and me. On this trip I have many goals which I will list below. The purpose of this post is to try to find people offering temporary jobs in each state I stop in. This will allow me to chase my hobby of driving to scenic places each state has to offer and also allow me to meditate and grow while meeting new people and learning new trades. This post will be broken up into different sections; my end goal after this journey, goals to accomplish while traveling, my resume, financial expenses I hope to get covered by salary offered from temporary jobs and a map of my travel path.

End goal

My end goal is to take everything I have learned through my travels and try and make the world a better place.

Goals I want to accomplish as I travel

- Meet at least 20 new people in every state.
- Make as much people smile as possible in each state.
- work on a project car with someone to learn how to take care of my own.
- drive to all the scenic places the state has to offer.
- learn new skills.
- work on a farm.
- see nature.
- experience breath taking views.
- Work with animals.
- learn to master the guitar.
- learn to surf.
- make lasting relationships.
- learn about myself and others.
- connect with the community.
- make new friends.
- become more socially graceful.
- get into the best shape of my life.
- master mediation.
- Find myself.
- Master lucid dreaming.
- Be happy and make others happy.
- Grow.
- Travel.
- Live.

My resume

I have a copy on my computer at home. Will update post with an updated resume ASAP. Here's a quick run down of my experience:

- Pathmark cashier for 5 months in high school.
- Cutco sales representative for 3 months in high school.
- Macy's seasonal security guard for 3 months after high school.
- Security guard for Manhattan School of Music for 6 months a year ago.
- IT consultant since January of 2015 (left security for this job).
I was previously Comp TIA A+ certified, IC3 certified but those expired a few months ago. I am still a licensed security guard in NYC. I realize that I don't hold down jobs for long but I've left all jobs of my own will and have never been fired or terminated by a manager/owner. I am hard working and have good manners but I am honestly unhappy working my life away and living free 2 days a week when the weekend comes around.

My current monthly financial expenses

Money I give to my mom to help out with the house: $660
Money for my car insurance as a new young driver: $484
Money for phone bill (use phone as GPS and to keep in contact): $80
Money for misc. items such as gas and food (estimation): $200-$400

Math was never my strong subject but if my calculations was correct the minimum wage that would support these expenses would be $10.00/HR. I understand this is a lot to ask for but I'm hoping someone could offer me a job that would fit this. As for how long I would be working for in each state that depends on if I've met a minimum of 20 new people each state, visited all the scenic areas and learned something new and feel I grew spiritually and should move on. I would say the minimum would be a month.

Travel path

Working on the map now, will update ASAP.

edit on 18-5-2015 by stopxmove because: error with underline tag.

edit on 18-5-2015 by stopxmove because: added to goals.

edit on 18-5-2015 by stopxmove because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   
(this space is reserved for a journal like post about my journey when it starts.)

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: stopxmove

Very admirable goals, and I wish you all the best in your plan. I'm afraid I can't offer you a job (not having one myself), but I'd suggest craigslist for seeking out temp gigs.

You are quite young to embark on such a self-discovery, with such clear goals and self-awareness! Still, your 20s is the best time to do it - before you get settled ("if" you ever want to) down.

There is a huge market for IT contractors, too - maybe you could look into a placement agency, and get on a company that will allow you to move around? My daughter's employer is a global engineering outfit - and she's been able to move from state to state very easily with internal applications. Most hotel chains will offer that also, but you have to stay at one place for about six months. My husband's employer firm also has opportunities for travel or transference...if you're IT, you could look around for jobs that offer that. Or, temp contracts through an employment placement agency.

Good luck to you - what a great adventure!

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

Very admirable goals, and I wish you all the best in your plan. I'm afraid I can't offer you a job (not having one myself), but I'd suggest craigslist for seeking out temp gigs.

You are quite young to embark on such a self-discovery, with such clear goals and self-awareness! Still, your 20s is the best time to do it - before you get settled ("if" you ever want to) down.

There is a huge market for IT contractors, too - maybe you could look into a placement agency, and get on a company that will allow you to move around? My daughter's employer is a global engineering outfit - and she's been able to move from state to state very easily with internal applications. Most hotel chains will offer that also, but you have to stay at one place for about six months. My husband's employer firm also has opportunities for travel or transference...if you're IT, you could look around for jobs that offer that. Or, temp contracts through an employment placement agency.

Good luck to you - what a great adventure!

Thanks a lot. I haven't thought about that but it sounds like a good place to start. The problem is my experience working in IT isn't extensive and I don't have the college education and certifications that most other applicants do. May be tough for me in that field but it cant hurt to try. Hotel IT sounds like a good idea.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Glad to be able to offer ideas!
You could also look into blogs done by people who live like that....
and see how they do it. Being a "drifter" isn't as stigmatized as it used to be.

Let us know how it goes!!! I'll look forward to your journal as your plan unfolds.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 01:09 PM
link   
You talk/sound you Like you got a good head on your shoulders..Heh,I'd like to be 20 again..Good luck on your journey

edit on 18-5-2015 by greydaze because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

Glad to be able to offer ideas!
You could also look into blogs done by people who live like that....
and see how they do it. Being a "drifter" isn't as stigmatized as it used to be.

Let us know how it goes!!! I'll look forward to your journal as your plan unfolds.

A drifter, I like the sound of that. Will defiantly read up on some of their blogs. I bet there's a whole bunch of information Id find dong that. I will no doubt keep this post updated when my journey starts.

originally posted by: greydaze
You talk/sound you Like you got a good head on your shoulders..Heh,I'd like to be 20 again..Good luck on your journey

Thanks for the luck. You're as young as you feel . Funny story, when I was young I would always tell my mom I cant wait to be 18. Finally turned 18 two years ago and time just started to zoom by.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Didn't Realize there's a 4 hour window to edit a post so I will put my updated resume here. Not as neat an option but it works none the less.

Updated resume section

PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE:

Nervus Consulting New York:

It consultant January 2015 - Present
-IT work
-Run Low Voltage cables
-Terminate cables
-Communicate with clients

Manhattan School of Music security guard New York:

Security guard with Universal Protection Service Febuary 2014 - December 2014
-Watch the entrance of the school and check for ID's
-Make rounds around the school and make sure everything is in order.
-Sign people in.
-Provide information.
-Call police or fire departments in cases of emergency, such as fire or presence of unauthorized persons.
-Answer alarms and investigate disturbances.

MACY'S New York:

loss provention November 2012 - January 2013
-Monitor and authorize entrance and departure of employees, visitors, and other persons to guard against theft and maintain security of premises.
-Write reports of daily activities and irregularities such as equipment or property damage, theft, presence of unauthorized persons, or unusual occurrences.
-Call police or fire departments in cases of emergency, such as fire or presence of unauthorized persons.
-Answer alarms and investigate disturbances.
-Circulate among visitors, patrons, or employees to preserve order and protect property.
-Patrol industrial or commercial premises to prevent and detect signs of intrusion and ensure security of doors, windows, and gates.
-Operate detecting devices to screen individuals and prevent passage of prohibited articles into restricted areas.
-Warn persons of rule infractions or violations, and apprehend or evict violators from premises, using force when necessary.
-Inspect and adjust security systems, equipment, or machinery to ensure operational use and to detect evidence of tampering.
-operate security cameras

VECTOR New York:

sales associate January 2012 - March 2012
-Describe merchandise and explain use, operation, and care of merchandise to customers.
-Greet customers and ascertain what each customer wants or needs.
-Recommend, select, and help locate or obtain merchandise based on customer needs and desires.
-Compute sales prices, total purchases and receive and process cash or credit payment.
-Answer questions regarding the store and its merchandise.
-Prepare sales slips or sales contracts.
-Maintain knowledge of current sales and promotions, policies regarding payment and exchanges, and security practices.
-Maintain records related to sales.
-Demonstrate use or operation of merchandise.
-Place special orders or call other stores to find desired items.
-Prepare merchandise for purchase or rental.
-Watch for and recognize security risks and thefts, and know how to prevent or handle these situations.
-Inventory stock and requisition new stock.
-Ticket, arrange and display merchandise to promote sales.
-Exchange merchandise for customers and accept returns.
-Sell or arrange for delivery, insurance, financing, or service contracts for merchandise.

PATHMARK New York:

front end/cashier July 2011 - December 2011
-Receive payment by cash, check, credit cards, vouchers, or automatic debits.
-Issue receipts, refunds, credits, or change due to customers.
-Assist customers by providing information and resolving their complaints.
-Establish or identify prices of goods, services or admission, and tabulate bills using calculators, cash registers, or optical price scanners.
-Greet customers entering establishments.
-Answer customers' questions, and provide information on procedures or policies.
-Sell tickets and other items to customers.
-Process merchandise returns and exchanges.
-Maintain clean and orderly checkout areas and complete other general cleaning duties, such as mopping floors and emptying trash cans.
-Bag, box, wrap, or gift-wrap merchandise, and prepare packages for shipment.
-Compute and record totals of transactions.

EDUCATION:

Laguradia Community College New York

Phycology Candidate, Mar 2015

ADDITIONAL SKILLS
-IC3 certified (expired)
-A+ computer repair certified(compTIA)(expired)
-licensed security guard
-Fire guard licensed
-hard working
-respectful
-works well with others and alone
-Experienced sales rep and customer relations

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   

This is a map of the route id take on my travel. The blue line shows the last states I will visit once I return to New York from California.

Any job offers will be much appreciated. Please tell me the state it's in and a little about the job. I am open to any job as long as it doesn't harm anyone. Also interested in experiencing the hippie community as I have never actually met a hippie. Would love to see what its like so if you are a member of one and don't mind me stopping by I'd love to. Thanks for checking out my post and have an awesome day .

new topics

top topics

join