It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fourth Dormant Volcano Shows Earthquake near Mammoth Mountain west coast

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 11:52 PM
link   
I'm really hoping some of our members that actually understand earthquakes, volcanos and such can let me know if there is reason to be concerned, or if this is no big deal.

Yes this is posted by Dutchsinse, but I am still curious about it and just how threatening this could be all put together to be considered.

A snippet:

After three other dormant volcanoes showed movement along the West coast ( just over the past few hours – late PM May 15th), now we see the area near Mammoth Mountain Volcano, located in Central Eastern California, has experienced a 3.2M earthquake.

LINK TO ARTICLE also has pictures showing layout.

Now I understand these quakes that have happened aren't really all that strong on their own, but the fact they seem to be relieving pressure through or around dormant volcanos and also the one of the Oregon coast seemingly releasing as well, seems to me this is a lot of pressure trying to escape.

Is this really enough of a release through these different spots all so seemingly close together, or could one take this as a sign that perhaps should be paid close attention too with something a Lot bigger on the way?

Even he himself isn't really crying chicken little and the sky is going to fall, but I am still curious for myself. Not to mention other members here that just might not be aware but live in those areas.

AGAIN THE LINK TO ARTICLE

Thanks for any input, just trying to understand a class I seemed to have been absent from long ago.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Wanna really crap your pants? Check this....volcanic activity everywhere!

theeconomiccollapseblog.com...

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 12:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: solarstorm
Wanna really crap your pants? Check this....volcanic activity everywhere!

theeconomiccollapseblog.com...

You are correct, that is a bit unnerving to say the least. Now I'm even more curious about what some of the members that really follow these things are going to say.

Thanks, I think, for sharing that link. That just amped up my concern a few powers....

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 12:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: onehuman
...Yes this is posted by Dutchsinse...

That right there should tell you that it's pure garbage and a waste of time.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 12:16 AM
link   
a reply to: solarstorm

Scary stuff indeed!
but did you catch this strange statement in your link:

A magnitude-6.8 earthquake that shook northeast Japan on Wednesday was an aftershock of the devastating 2011 quake that triggered a massive tsunami and nuclear power plant meltdown.

“We consider this morning’s earthquake to be an aftershock of the 2011 Northeastern Pacific Earthquake,” said Yohei Hasegawa, an official at the Japanese meteorological agency.

So a 6.8 earthquake can be considered an aftershock of an earthquake 4 years prior???

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 12:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance

originally posted by: onehuman
...Yes this is posted by Dutchsinse...

That right there should tell you that it's pure garbage and a waste of time.

I dont really see how you can say something that is actually happening is pure garbage simply because one questionable person has mentioned it. If a solid member from here took the time to post their own findings of this particular area, that would make it all better and believable?

The fact we had a post with a link right after mine shows there earth is really shaking more than usual around the ring of fire now. What are you going to say about that members post? Where there is smoke there is fire and I think Mother Nature is putting up some serious smoke signals and we should be paying attention regardless of who points out the fact. Either way, it is happening and I want to know just how concerning it should actually be. Maybe others do as well.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 03:11 AM
link   
a reply to: new_here

Yes, because that is how it is determined after a big earthquake, these aftershock can last for years.
USGS

"Foreshock" and "aftershock" are relative terms. Foreshocks are earthquakes that precede larger earthquakes in the same location. Aftershocks are smaller earthquakes that occur in the same general area during the days to years following a larger event or "mainshock." They occur within 1-2 fault lengths away and during the period of time before the background seismicity level has resumed. As a general rule, aftershocks represent minor readjustments along the portion of a fault that slipped at the time of the mainshock. The frequency of these aftershocks decreases with time. Historically, deep earthquakes (>30 km) are much less likely to be followed by aftershocks than shallow earthquakes.

Btw. It's "earthquake season", happens every year in these months, Dutchsince knows this and use it to get some more hits.

edit on 16-5-2015 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 05:38 AM
link   
a reply to: onehuman

To answer the question, of whether these releases of pressure are going to be enough to relieve whatever burgeoning forces are at work beneath the crust of the planet, would require a huge amount of very detailed data about the specific plume of activity which is causing the releases. Things like the depth, width, and length of the affected area, the specific measurement of pressure displacement across that area, and the actual geographical disposition of the affected area, will all be important, as will figuring out just how much pressure is being released every time something happens.

What we need, is a straight up, one hundred percent, bona fide geologist to find, and explain these data points, and what the outlook based on those points might be, in terms of the likelihood of further quake and volcanic disturbances.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Has anyone ever bothered to correlate the rise in volcanic activity with CO2 levels and it's possible link to climate?

I mean, we're talking about a lot of Co2 lately. Historically more than in a long time.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 06:10 AM
link   
www.cnn.com...

CNN report, dated last fall.

seems like the whole Pacific rim is stirring.

Please God just don't let Yellowstone blow.

*A flurry of small earthquakes rumbling near the Mammoth Mountain Volcano, have been categorized as "volcanic unrest" by the United States Geological Survey.

Nearly three dozen earthquakes ranging from magnitude 2.6 to 3.8 have swarmed the area, northeast of Fresno, California, over the last two days.

Earthquake swarms in this region are not uncommon. David Shelly, a seismologist with California Volcano Observatory, said this swarm is "bigger than we've seen recently, but normal in the area." He adds they are keeping a close eye on the movement, "but in the larger scheme of things, it's within in the range of activity over the last several decades."*

well okay, some 3.2s, but nothing bigger, right?

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 08:49 AM
link   
15 volcanoes show activity in the past 30 days. Pretty much normal for this time of year.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 08:59 AM
link   
How long will it be before some deluded sole says this due to global warming? I think it's the earth rejecting Jerry Brown and the snail darter. Both should be allowed to become extinct.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   
We can only be a parasite on this planet for so long before it comes back to bite us in the you know what.
edit on 16-5-2015 by Buddyweiser because: left something out.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: works4dhs
Looks pretty much normal as the Northern Hemisphere is heating up. After all , summer is near

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: buddah6

It seems unlikely, but consider this:

If you recall, the continents are rebounding to some extent from the last ice age - when the massive weight of ice on land pushed them down. For example, the post-glacial rebound in Alaska is outpacing sea level rise.

There's the thing, though - sea levels* are rising. Remember that the weight of ice pushed continents down; if the oceans rise, wouldn't that suggest a corresponding force on the plates below the oceans - more mass and force directed downwards?

Perhaps such a thing might spur geological activity. This is simply a thought, not a certainty. However, if said increase in mass is influencing earthquakes/volcanoes, and if sea levels are rising due to climate change, then one could infer that the two are related.

*sea levels are locally measured, historically, so one could say that the sea level in Alaska is declining because the land is rising much faster.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Buddyweiser
We can only be a parasite on this planet for so long before it comes back to bite us in the you know what.

All people need to be good stewards of the earth. Believe it or not Americans are beginning to do so. We are 100% cleaner here than the 1970's thanks to the early EPA. The present EPA is an incestuous cousin of the first group and filled with political activists whose end product is the redistribution of wealth through draconian regulations.

The Earth has been here for billions of years and has weathered many changes. It will be here long after the parasites are gone. All the changes we see are the nature of things. On the 24 hour clock, humans have only been here for the last 20 seconds. It is the arrogance of humans that we have changed this planet in such a short period of time relatively speaking.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Greven

The earth is constantly changing. That means sea levels rise and fall in a natural way. It has to do with the snow fall at the poles or the lack there of. It has been nearly 50 years since I studied geology in school and the one thing that my professor stressed was the Earth is dynamic. It is constantly moving and the environment reflects that movement.

The reason we study the ice at the pole is because it holds clues to thousands of years of environment change. We don't have all the answers as the activists think. Scientists can test for the volume of carbon that fell to the ground before humans became industrial.

The biggest threat to our environment is the Green activists who has an agenda other that being a good steward to the Earth.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: onehuman

This was labeled a HOAX because.....I am just wondering why? I did not read anything in the thread that would point towards it being a HOAX.

Was this proved wrong?

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: BatheInTheFountain

Has anyone ever bothered to correlate the rise in volcanic activity with CO2 levels and it's possible link to climate?
What rise in volcanic activity? No significant increase in the past 40 years.

www.volcano.si.edu...

I mean, we're talking about a lot of Co2 lately. Historically more than in a long time.
Yes, because we are burning a lot of fossil fuels and producing a lot more CO2 than volcanoes do.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 5/16/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 10:53 PM
link   
lol
I just got back from soaking in a hot springs

Where??? Mammoth Mountain Caldera spent part of the day at Wild Willy's then went over to The Tub Hot spring,

The water temp was normal HOT.
Air temp was a little cold.

Saw no signs of new activity any where.

new topics

top topics

join