It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did guns and Roses "steal" Sweet child 'o mine?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 07:20 AM
link   
When I first saw this article I assumed it was your typical looser going for an out of court settlement in a bid for some free money.

Link to article

After listening to the song it is claimed they took the inspiration from however I am now undecided.

I will not insult anyones intelligence by linking the Guns and Roses song but here's the song in question from 1981.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 07:34 AM
link   
I'm so glad there were subtitles. Even after 30 years, I still can't understand James Reyne.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 07:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: jamesthegreat
I'm so glad there were subtitles. Even after 30 years, I still can't understand James Reyne.

I had never heard the song or indeed the band before I saw the article.

Do you think that GnR may have borrowed from the song or is it just random chance?

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Courts will decide........
Does sound very similar...IMHO

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: jamesthegreat

Holy crap you're not kidding! Can't understand him at all.

Well if GnR stole this song then good for them because this version blows.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 08:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Swills
a reply to: jamesthegreat

Holy crap you're not kidding! Can't understand him at all.

Well if GnR stole this song then good for them because this version blows.

I just listened again without watching the vid and your right.

Not a single understanderble word.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 08:21 AM
link   
There are some similarities between the verse melodies of the two songs, but I can't see anything else... Sweet Child of Mine is one of my favourite songs ever, and it's a million times better than this Unpublished critics!!

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Knowing Axel Rose, it's very likely. I guess the courts will determine that though.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Not even close, in my opinion. I think it's very possible that songs can be created independently and yet sound very similar to one another.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Well, I can say that there are certain notes, and ELEMENTS of timing alike, between the two tunes involved in this dispute. However, what I would also say is that there are also a great many differences between the two songs, in terms of the notes sung, the cadence of the lyrics, their actual content, and musically the two tracks, although they share some compositional elements, are distinct because of the emphasis given to certain beats within the structure of each bar, and the focus on the lead riff from the mighty Slash. There is also a totally unique bridge section, and of course, THAT solo to think about!

The whole, uncut version of Sweet Child O' Mine is something pretty damned close to six minutes long, while this...frankly crappy other tune is only four minutes and fifty seconds or so long, so there are some pretty significant differences between the two! Whether those differences are enough to protect the formers members of Guns N Roses from some sort of legal or financial assault on their status is a totally different matter though.

Personally, I could not give two yanks of a dead cows udder about the effect that this might have on Mr Rose, since the dude, in my opinion, is a moron of epic proportions, and easily the least talented of the original line up of the band. To my mind, the only person who is still in the band, is the only member who could have been replaced without totally ruining their sound, but that's just me.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Interesting observation! Thanks!

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 09:23 AM
link   
It does not help when you know that both songs are involved, I was inclined to say that they were almost too similar.

I played the song to a couple of other pople and they both agreed it sounded similar but neither mentioned Sweet child of mine, once I mentioned it they were more inclined to agree.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Sweet Child is a jooshed up version of this, I'd say.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Same chords, same changes, very similiar vocal melody.. GNR have some 'splainin to do. They may be in deep doo doo.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Mmmmmmmmm there is only so many chords you can play so some songs are going to sound alike just due to theory and harmony

Had a listen and it's nothing like it apart from a typical chord structure a lot of songs use

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: ItCameFromOuterSpace

Same chords, same changes, very similiar vocal melody.. GNR have some 'splainin to do. They may be in deep doo doo.

The opening bars actually sound more like a 45 version of summer of 69 played at 33 if you ask me.

Same chords and one chourus goes "ahhh" and the other goes "ooh"

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Whereismypassword
Mmmmmmmmm there is only so many chords you can play so some songs are going to sound alike just due to theory and harmony

Had a listen and it's nothing like it apart from a typical chord structure a lot of songs use

I do not disagree but there are more similarities than the chord patterns.

Could you give examples of other songs that have as much similarity as a point of reference?

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   

I don't think they stole the song because they are different songs but they do have the same flavour , there are bits in there that do sound as if they've been lifted and adopted and some of the structure is very similar too.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   
"And even though the Aussie rock veterans were by no means huge in the US, it seems a 1984 compilation album featuring Unpublished Critics was released there through GNR’s own record label, Geffen."
musicfeeds.com.au...
And GnR site australian music as an influence

Australian Crawl fans spark online debate after pointing out ...
www.news.com.au/.../australian...guns-n-roses.../story-e6frfmq9-12273507...
4 days ago - ... between an Australian Crawl song and the massive Guns N' Roses hit ... Skip to: Main Content: Site Navigation: Site Footer: Site Search: Site Map .... has paid tribute to the influence of Australian rock bands on his music.

“the same chugging chord progression, a similarly-sweeping lead break, the verse melody, and the elongated one-syllable vocal in the chorus.”

So there you go, but we all know GnR are to honest to do that
edit on b2015Fri, 15 May 2015 11:35:49 -050053120155am312015-05-15T11:35:49-05:00 by borntowatch because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: borntowatch
"And even though the Aussie rock veterans were by no means huge in the US, it seems a 1984 compilation album featuring Unpublished Critics was released there through GNR’s own record label, Geffen."
musicfeeds.com.au...
And GnR site australian music as an influence
www.news.com.au... 27350742310

“the same chugging chord progression, a similarly-sweeping lead break, the verse melody, and the elongated one-syllable vocal in the chorus.”

So there you go, but we all know GnR are to honest to do that

An interesting twist, good find but your second link is broken.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join