It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Close-Up Flyover Of The Mysterious Bright Spots On Ceres

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on May, 14 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Just wanted to throw this out their to give a better perspective on these spots and maybe spark some new though on what exactly they might be .

My Theory is that it's possible snow or Ice ?

anyone else ?

Kap.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   
salt planes

+6 more 
posted on May, 14 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Kapusta

Since it appears from this particular image to be emitting its own light from the shadowy crater, Im going with inhabited artificial structure. Doesnt look like reflected light to me.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   
If snow or ice why is there none anywhere else? Or could it be that the whole of Ceres is an old frozen object covered with dust after it had been bombarded with objects to give the crater effect and the hit with a single object to reveal the frozen sub-surface?

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

Main spot is centre of crater so nice theory.

I go with you on this... Ice is high possibility. I think.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Urantia1111

Since it appears from this particular image to be emitting its own light from the shadowy crater, Im going with inhabited artificial structure. Doesnt look like reflected light to me.

Of course you are.

Can't explain it straight away? Then ALIENS!

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: 3danimator2014

Explain the dark spots that are first at one location and then another.

Then there is another spot that seems to enlarge or darken itself at the right sight of the crater. It definitely is not a camera glitch and it resembles the spot briefly seen toward the lower edge of crater. There is reason to believe that is one object in three different positions. Is that a "still imaging" camera or shots from a video?

edit on 14-5-2015 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Maybe whatever created the crater?
I doubt snow or ice given it's only location and would be polar region but thats just my opinion.

Have we any I dication of the size of the crater?
edit on 14-5-2015 by jazz10 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   
This close-up animation makes the ice theory look even more implausible. According to a member of the research team working on the photos, the bright areas remain visible even they are viewed on the horizon when the walls of the crater would have obstructed the view of anything on the floor of the crater. He concluded that the sources of light must therefore be high ABOVE the surface of Ceres - more consistent with scattering of sunlight from gases or smoke than from fields of ice.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   
That's a really cool flyover image/gif. Love it.

No idea. What about a crystal deposit of some type? Like a field of quartz/diamond. Of course this coming from a geological idiot.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Windows!!! They are windows!

Nice gif op

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Liquid methane is my thought. When methane cools it crystallizes.

Plastic crystals in particular can show very contrast reflections.

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 14-5-2015 by HawkeyeNation because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

Not sure what you're seeing, but I don't see anything changing sizes and the only black spots I see appear and disappear are almost certainly camera artifacts.

+14 more 
posted on May, 14 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   
The "bright spots" look to be either emitting their own light, or have a reflection so bright, it's casting light on the objects/ground around it.

Notice as the brightness is reduced and contrast increased, we see bright areas on the ground around the "bright spots."

This is taken from NASA's full-resolution TIFF original.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   
the GIF in the OP makes it appear to not be a reflection so I am stumped..I originally thought it was something crystalline.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   
That is really bizarre. I have no idea what it is. It's easy to say it's an artificial light source, but if so, it conforms to no idea of order I'm familiar with.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 04:40 PM
link   
From OP's gif

From this angle we can see that the bright spots have dissapeared below the central crater wall.

From the other extreme angle the spots are still very bright, even though the ambient light is very dim.

Something fluorescent? as in, giving off its own light?

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

I agree now that i see that , It looks to be emitting its own light .

Interesting.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Does anyone know if we will ever get a picture looking back at the spots when they are turned away from the sun - that would solve if it's a reflection or not pretty quickly...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join