It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Daughter Just Got a Job With Big Pharma

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   
She has her degrees in immunology, microbiology, biochemistry, molecular chemistry and genetic engineering. She specializes in immune deficiency diseases and cancer. She's been working for renown hospitals and for a globally recognized university lab for the past several years. Her student loans are massive, and while her heart has always been in academia, she couldn't resist the salary increase and the opportunity to be a trail blazer in this new and up in coming technology.

I can't tell you what company she's working for, due to her "Confidentiality Agreement", or even what exactly she'll be doing. But I can tell you this, she'll be taking an ill patients blood and isolating the T-cells. The T-cells are the Gestapo of your body. They find "bad guys" and do away with them; no arrests, no lawyers, no trial or jury of their peers, "BANG, YOUR DEAD" right on the spot, no questions asked. Sometimes, however, the T-cells get confused and think that things like your kidneys' or your colon cells are bad guys, and they go on the attack. This is what we know as "Immune Deficiency Disease".

What she will be tasked with is taking those confused T-cells and returning them to their wholesome selves, through genetic engineering. Then she'll put them in some kind of culture medium, allowing them to grow and reproduce, then shoot them back into the ill patient's blood stream. Hopefully, the healthy wholesome T-cells can now do the job that they were intended to do, and all will be well in the patient's world!

Cool huh? Now, she's given a base starting salary, but her job security, salary raises and bonuses are completely dependent on the success of her work. And, that's the purpose of this thread. It's not the fact that I'm the proudest parent on the face of the planet and wanted to brag, even though that's true. Nope, it's because I wanted to let you all know this.............................

NOT ALL BIG PHARMA WANTS TO KEEP YOU SICK AND ADDICTED!.

Soon, the USA is going to have access to a vaccine for lung cancer, thanks to Cuban medical research scientists. And now this too! Of course, right now the treatments my daughter will be working on are not for ordinary people like you and me. A colleague of mine opined, when I told her about this, "So, that how Magic Johnson does it!" I don't know about that, but anything is possible! My sister was concerned about reproduction after such treatment, but I'm pretty sure that T-cells and reproductive "gamma" cells don't interact.

So, comment, don't comment, I can't really tell you much more than I already have. I just wanted to share some medicinal hope with you all today.

Peace!

edit on 14-5-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

A proud parent, nice to see.

However, she's probably going to work on some horrible disease that mutates peoples dna, turning them into rabid flesh eating monsters.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: ProleUK

LOL! A true ATS response!

That maybe, but I'll never know, because of her "Confidentiality Agreement", most of which is based on insider stock information laws. Big Pharma, ya know, follow the money!

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   

I... um... work for a pharmaceutical manufacturing company. We usually just manufacture drugs for bigger companies, but we also try to develop our own to sell. I'm in the IT department though.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   

when she turns up unannounced on your doorstep, looking pale as a sheet saying, we got to go, now, don't say I didnt warn you.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: ProleUK

She works for Umbrella?

edit on 14-5-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

I... um... work for a pharmaceutical manufacturing company. We usually just manufacture drugs for bigger companies, but we also try to develop our own to sell. I'm in the IT department though.

What's the IT department?

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   

I believe that work that your daughter and others are doing is going to give many people second chances in life...and that is wonderful!

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Welcome to the "Not All Big Pharma Is Bad" Club. I've been here for all of my husband's career. He, too, works in big pharma albeit on the veterinary side.

He does QC, and as such is intimately familiar with his company's standards as well as the international standards for product. I won't divulge specifics, but let me tell you there are still some companies that care about putting out quality stuff that goes above minimum spec by a good margin to ensure top quality product and not just minimally compliant.

Not all are bad, and one way to ensure that you keep the money coming is to make sure you keep the customer coming. You can't do that by ripping them off.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Information Technology. You know the system admin?

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   
My girlfriend has alopecia, it sounds like the work your daughter is doing could potentially cure it. In a person with alopecia the immune system attacks the hair follicles. Obviously there are other cures we are in need of but it would sure be great to see that stress lifted off of her. Congratulations on your daughter getting out there and making a difference

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Excellent, maybe she can come up with some cures. That would be super awesome.

T-cells get confused and think that things like your kidneys' or your colon cells are bad guys, and they go on the attack.

Would love to see some headway here as someone who has IgA nephropathy, and my immune system does not like my kidneys at all.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Bridgewater
a reply to: Pimpish

Fingers crossed for you both!

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   
That's wonderful news! Thanks for sharing and giving others hope.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Lets hope she will not bend before big company´s greedy politics, but most likely she has to or she can or will be kicked out. How many years they have tried ( even hundreds of mice cured ) "find" cure for type 1 diabetes? Insulin was tested in first patient in year 1922 and ever since there has been research going on to find a cure ( happy mices tho ) 1969 Man stepped first time on the Moon.. more than 20 years later... So isn´t it quite comical that there is no cure for type 1 diabetes out there in the Market? In seven years from now we will be celebrating 100 years for finding Insulin. AYA
Why no cure?
Because there are huge money involved in diabetes market. Not only type 1 which is immune deficiency disease there are and will be loads of type 2s.
It is very intresting that very rare immune deficiency diseases are being cured ( we always see those on the news, genes fixed etc ) but those which most affect people are not...

Good luck to your daughter i hope she is working with not so rare diseases but actually benefical research for masses.
edit on 14-5-2015 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Congradulations, its good to see some prople get ahead.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   

That's awesome for her. I took on a federal job in an agency I don't exactly love based on the salary so that I could let my wife homeschool our kids while we get out of debt.

As long as she doesn't sell her sould to Big Pharma, then she can be proud of what she does.

The real question is, though, how much will the company charge for this type of treatment once it is mainstream? This type of treatment may not want to keep us sick, but it could be something only available to the relatively wealthy in the world...which, in a roundabout way, still keep many people sick.

I'm absolutely not advocating that it should be "free" as part of Obamacare packages, I'm just saying that this stuff is cool, but most likely will be very expensive, at least at the beginning.

Congrats to your daughter, though!

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Unfortunately, I think you're right. We're most likely heading toward a tiered health care system, where the rich and fabulous get first rate, cutting edge technology, while the poor just have to suck it up like the minions that we are.

I'll bet that my daughter wouldn't be able to afford the treatments she creates, if she herself needed them.

I hope that in the future, these technologies will get easier and cheaper and technicians won't require the amount of training that my daughter has to preform the therapies. But, IMO we have societal problems that needs to be addressed before the masses of minions are allowed to live healthy, long, prosperous lives.
edit on 14-5-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   

No single person is responsible for the crimes of a corporation. In that industry there is massive human misery being rolled out on a daily basis.

Pharma is the 3rd or 4 leading cause of death in the US and UK.

Corporations are not people. They are better.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   

I can understand the sense of pride you and your daughter may have. But the fact of the matter is prescription drugs are the 4th biggest killer in America today. Making big pharma the 3rd biggest industrial killer behind fast food, and tobacco. It probably plays a big role in some of the other epidemics we are seeing as a society as well.
Info

I agree the pharmaceutical industry has saved countless lives and everyone needs a career and an income. Your daughter probably means well and just wants to help humanity. But the industry doesn't. They are profit oriented, not care oriented. If they were care oriented this statement wouldn't even exist.

"So, that how Magic Johnson does it!"

He did it because hes rich and has options to treatment most people don't even know exists. Why isn't his treatment available to everyone? It's been almost 2 decades!

Soon, the USA is going to have access to a vaccine for lung cancer, thanks to Cuban medical research scientists.

There has been cures for decades now! Not going to hold my breath for this magic shot you mention to come out.

The people are tired of waiting so they just cure their own cancer now anyway.

I am a 26 year old female living with incurable brain cancer, but am kicking ass!!! Here is my story, I hope you enjoy!!
Her twitter page.

America has been inundated with pharmaceuticals for the last 20 years. I personally have lost more friends and loved ones to prescription drugs than any other reason. So clearly I'm jaded. But there are many many more like myself, and it's only getting worse.

Our doctors need to be educated by the pharmaceutical industry on the effects and uses of a drug. Not this kickback program that exists today. Where doctors are payed to sit in on a conference call form a drug company. Only to be promoted to use their drug as often as possible over the competitions for a small kickback.

Isn't that the basis of a drug dealer?

My industry is in direct conflict with your daughters industry. Even though it shouldn't be that way. They hate us with a passion. Because I can teach someone how to grow a plant and drop most or all of his/her med's. Time will tell who will win this battle.

Nature vs. Big pharma

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join