It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
But just because the accident struck close to home does
not mean Congress will increase an already shrunken budget
for transportation. Just hours after the derailment, which
claimed at least seven lives and left scores more injured, the
House Appropriations Committee held an uncomfortably timed
markup of its annual transportation spending bill and moved
forward with a $250 million cut from last year’s Amtrak funding
of approximately $1.3 billion.
Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., said last week he
would block any trade legislation until the transportation and
infrastructure bill got a vote (the Senate has filibustered opening
debate on President Barack Obama’s trade authority).
But no congressional aide could give a timetable for considering a
transportation vote. Coincidentally, this week is “National Infra-
structure Week” in Washington, and lobbyists already had descended
on the Capitol to advocate for a long-term solution to the funding
Here are the 17 proposed Sustainable Development Goals According the UN website:
1. End poverty in all its forms everywhere
2. End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition, and promote sustainable agriculture
3. Ensure healthy lives and promote wellbeing for all at all ages
4. Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all
5. Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
6. Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all
7. Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
8. Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment, and decent work for all
9. Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialisation, and foster innovation
10. Reduce inequality within and among countries
11. Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable
12. Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
13. Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts (taking note of agreements made by the UNFCCC forum)
14. Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development
15. Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification and halt and reverse land degradation, and halt biodiversity loss
16. Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels
17. Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development
originally posted by: Gothmog
Wait . All issues with our roads , bridges ,trains ,dams were resolved after President Obama was elected. Remember the bailout to be used for thousands of shovel ready jobs ? To be used mostly on the infrastructure of the US. That happened didnt it during one of his country saving press meetings?
originally posted by: marg6043
a reply to: derfreebie
I remember when the cuts to our railroad system started and it was not recently but many years ago, it got worst and worst, but when tragedy strikes home that is when people open their eyes and complain about it, then the politic rats starts to point fingers to one another and the issue turns into a political circus specially in election years.
But will something be done? I doubt that.
originally posted by: Lgbtlivesmatter
Yet it had nothing to do with the infrastructure .
Where's all the money from the stimulus that was suppose to do all this anyway?
originally posted by: derfreebie
And by the way Harry-- your holding your breath on Obama's new digital
trade pen and phone [getting cleared before any other business has been
addressed] just killed several people. What do you say, ATS?