It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cemetery of Forgotten Books: Shadow of the Wind

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 04:06 AM
link   
A while back, a friend of mine offered me some audiobooks. One of the books he dumped onto my storage device was Shadow of the Wind, by Carlos Ruiz Zafón. The audiobook was only made more enjoyable when I learned the author had composed the piano pieces played in various places to help set the mood. The story itself, is an interesting one. As it's a story within a story.

The main character is a young man named Daniel. Daniel's father and a few of his friends, have a secret library. A library they call, the cemetery of forgotten books. The library is kept such a secret because of the passion for books those in the circle have. The library, is only open to those that share the same love of books. And of course, those who are invited.

Daniel's father brings him to the cemetery of forgotten books. According to the tradition of this group of book lovers and their library, those initiated must pick one book from the library, and must protect it for life. The book Daniel chooses, is Shadow of the Wind, by Julián Carax. Daniel becomes obsessed with the book and after completing it sets out to find other books written by the author, but finds none. One of the things he does discover however, is that other people are equally obsessed with Julián Carax and his novels.

This book is about Daniel searching for information about Julián Carax and his life. Why there doesn't seem to be many, if any, copies of his novels? Where he has disappeared to, and why? ...Among other mysteries I won't spoil here.

Like Daniel became interested in the fictional author of Shadow of the Wind, I have become interested in the real life author. Carlos Ruiz Zafón. From what I understand, there is a prequel to this story called The Angel's Game. Interestingly enough, that title is mentioned in Shadow of the Wind as one of Julián Carax's other masterpieces. I also believe there are other books in this series, that has become known as the Cemetery of Forgotten Books series.

Apart from recommending Shadow of the Wind, I'm wondering if anyone is more familiar with Carlos Ruiz Zafón and these books. Is there indeed a Cemetery of Forgotten Books series? If so, are they just as good? Maybe better? Thanks!

Happy reading!

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 05:58 AM
link   
a reply to: WakeUpBeer

I've never read the guy, i can't recall where i first heard of him - maybe an excerpt at the start of some Iain M Banks or China Mieville book in the last handful of years? I've nearly bought a book of his a couple of times and sadly opted for stuff more in my normal sphere of comfort/interest.. holidays coming up soon though, so i may well dip in then

I'm assuming that you'd recommend his work?
edit on 13-5-2015 by skalla because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 06:09 AM
link   
a reply to: skalla

I would. Though I have only read this one particular book. Not knowing your tastes well enough, I couldn't honestly say if you'd enjoy it or not. Never hurts to give it a shot though, imo.

I don't have a particular favorite genre (well if I was forced to choose it would be sci-fi/fantasy). I'm pretty open to anything if it comes well recommended. This particular book was recommended by a friend who I trust, in part because of his analytical approach to books. Not only their concepts, but how well they're written.

join