It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid a MILE wide to hurtle past Earth in 48 HOURS - as experts warn of MASS EXTINCTION

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I just read this one and I don't know what to make of it. Surely it's a scary thing to read and I hope nothing is true. That being said, i cannot vouch for the source, neither the veracity of the below content

The gigantic missile thought to measure almost a mile across will brush closer than previous monsters which have sparked a global panic.

Worried astronomers warned 1999 FN53, which is an eighth of the size of Mount Everest, will skim the Earth in TWO DAYS.

A collision would be nothing short of catastrophic triggering mass destruction, earthquakes and global extinction.

The monster is more than TEN TIMES bigger than other meteorites currently visible on NASA’s Near Earth Object radar.

It is also double the size of the gargantuan 2014-YB35 which had astronomers around the world watching the skies in March.

Experts warn a collision would trigger an explosion similar to millions of megatons of TNT and would be capable of killing 1.5 billion people.

www.express.co.uk...

More sources:

www.breaking-news.ca... e-biggest-ever-to-threaten-a-collision-with-earth/

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Telos

"Close", "whizzing by", "brushing". Interesting terminology given the object will pass 26.5x the Earth-Moon separation distance.

So It's big ---but not that close.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 05:46 PM
link   
It'd be doing Earth a favor that's for sure.

Worry not, # doesn't happen without hoopla. I mean earth getting destroyed without 25,000 threads predicting it, would be so.......so......anticlimactic. I don't think God's that dull.
edit on 12-5-2015 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   

It passed by closer in 1999:

1999-May-12 00:38 < 00:01 Earth 0.0593162196166593 0.0593161770285429 0.0593162622049034

These distances are in AU's and can be found here.

This time around it will be further away:

2015-May-14 11:25 < 00:01 Earth 0.067761536837644 0.0677614174672346 0.0677616562085786

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   
If 6 million miles away at it's closest is considered to be a 'brush',hadn't we better get Bruce Willis out of retirement?

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Thank you for the two sources. I can now add both of them to my list of sources that should never be believed.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   
It's passing at 3 million kilometres away Thursday, yes it's big, but so is the distance away.
Update on that, my info was from an incorrect e-mail a few says ago. The closest pass is 0.068 AU according to NASA, that's more like the 6 million mile mark.

echo.jpl.nasa.gov...
edit on 12-5-2015 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

Indeed lol.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I didn't know we had a LOL forum.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   
This shouldn't be in the LOL forum!!!

Simply because it's not ludicrous or a lie...

It's happening...

It just so happens that they're also warning of mass extinction.

Maybe a disclaimer that says do not connect the two sentences in the headline as a single headline.

Writing comprehension problem, yes certainly.

But LOL???

No.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Well SO made the decision and got the msg from him that the thread was moved. If he doesn't take the time to check it for him self, I'm not going to waste mine explaining it. I did spend enough time reading it and bring it in this board.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I know this is not going to hit the earth

But just to play devils advocate for a moment.

What is to say that it won't case a extinction event or at the very least hit the earth.

There could be several reasons for this, this is ATS after all, so we could say that there is a conspiracy afoot were by the government have known about this and have taken steps to ensure that continuity of government is maintained and not informed the public to avoid panic.

Also what is to say that there won't be some kind of event that brings the asteroid close to the earth than originally thought. What if the guys tracking this thing made some kind of error in their calculations and this thing actually gets pulled close enough to earth to cause it to hit us.

And so on and so on.

Like i say I know this won't happen but a bit of me gets a little annoyed that on a conspiracy site like ATS we some times neglect to discuss the possible conspiracy. Also pretty disappointed this is in the LOL forum, yet the thread with the guy calling for American world domination is still going strong in a regular forum.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 07:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
This shouldn't be in the LOL forum!!!

Simply because it's not ludicrous or a lie...

It's happening...

It just so happens that they're also warning of mass extinction.

Maybe a disclaimer that says do not connect the two sentences in the headline as a single headline.

Writing comprehension problem, yes certainly.

But LOL???

No.

I'm inclined to agree there to some extent, the crux is that Bill Napier leaves the door open with the remark about course deviation, which is applicable to just about any of these rocks if there are unknowns, as well as the rest of the general statement, but more importantly is when he said that, since the rock was here before and closer, but still far, far away. On the other hand, the Express newspaper is the greatest piece of crap, out of a great heap of crap, and is easily capable of sewing truthy things together just for a headline while the original context is subsumed.
The NASA link I posted is current as of the twelfth of May, and that is about as good a source as anyone is ever going to get for the really big stuff that already has a history.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   
You can tell the source is ultra credible by the large amount of links to fantastical articles and the plethora of boob pics.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   
These things pass close more than people realize. It's listed here, but no danger is discussed -

NEO Earth Close Approaches

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Out of the two dates below, I think the July 7th flyby to be the greater danger.

2015 HB177
May 14
12.4 LD
51 m

2015 HM10
Jul 7
1.1 LD
68 m

I got these from SpaceWeather.com

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 01:01 AM
link   
But.. what if TPTB have flown X-37B up to this rock, and attached thrusters to it.

What if the thrusters are primed and firing, pushing this towards earth, and it's their way to begin purging the earth of several billion people.

What if it is destined to smash into the area most central between China and India, setting the three gorges damn to popping off the mountains, killing everyone within the two countries.

What if it is the signal for Russia to launch it's nukes on Europe and America, as we all reel in shock at the sheer magnitude of destruction that has occurred in a far off land?

Oh snap.. /sarc

Nah, this one will go wizzing by us, and no one will notice, except for the few with special telescopes to have a gander.

No doom here.. unless my above is the case..

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 01:23 AM
link   
I would t complain if it hit, let it, the earth needs a reset; we screwed up the place.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   

In equal terms, I Earth collided with Mars or even worse - Jupiter - that would be totally horrendously bigbombastically bad for life on this planet.

But, 26 x Earth-Moon distance, which this asteroid passing by now is having, gives pretty much same statistical chances for that sort of collission to happen. i.e. nothathing

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I hear they're going to try to Nuke it.

Now here is an interesting Video, to those interested.

It's titled ''Global Coastal Event May 28th 2015

Is it interesting, YES. Is it True, who knows. But i liked it.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join