It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Light Novels

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Recently I read some translated light novels. Normally I don't read such, but I wandered upon a site and started reading to see if they were any good. I have to say some are on par or better than the Harry Potter books so I figured I would give a few links to them here.

Douluo Dalu by Tang Jia San Shao

Tang San spent his life in the Tang Outer Sect, dedicated to the creation and mastery of hidden weapons. Once he stole the secret lore of the Inner Sect to reach the pinnacle of his art, his only way out was death. But after throwing himself off the deadly Hell’s Peak he was reborn in a different world, the world of Douluo Dalu, a world where every person has a spirit of their own, and those with powerful spirits can practice their spirit power to rise and become Spirit Masters.

The spirit that awakens within Tang San is Blue Silver Grass, a trash spirit – useless spirit. Can he overcome the difficulties to reach the high ranks of Spirit Masters and bring the glory of the Tang Sect into this new world?

Xian Ni Author: Ergen (耳根)

A Child (Wang Lin/Tie Zhu our beloved MC) breaks the chains of his common birth and mediocre talent in true XianXia style to pursue the road to immortality. It contains the standard-fare elements that you might see in IET Novels and for those uninitiated, it means power-ups galore, an MC with a vendetta, Villains galore and entertainment for everyone.

Battle Through the Heavens (斗破苍穹)

In a land where no magic is present. A land where the strong makes the rules and weak has to obey. A land filled with alluring treasures and beauty yet also filled with unforeseen danger. Xiao Yan, who has shown talents none had seen in decades, suddenly three years ago lost everything, his powers, his reputation, and his promise to his mother. What sorcery has caused him to lose all of his powers? And why has his fiancee suddenly shown up?

BTTH is pretty good, but the description doesn't do it justice.

I was able to read all of them up to the latest translations within a day or two. Easy reading and enjoyable so I thought I would share. Enjoy!

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 01:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

A couple of 'light' but thought provoking but long term favorites are:

Santiago by Mike Resnik
The Golden Key by Melanie Rawn
Anything by Issac Asimov

A current fun and easy read are the 'Rule of Ten' mysteries - don't remember the authors

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 07:20 AM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

I have read several works from Asimov that were enjoyable but "light Novel" is a term for Japanese style or in this case Chinese style of writing for those. I found their fantasy writing to very interesting because many draw upon their cultural lore history and traditions throughout the story lines.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 09:28 PM
link   
My favorite fantasy stories that draw on Japanese influence are The Tales of the Otori by Lian Hearn. I also enjoy Stephen Bein's Fated Blades series. I have also recently discovered Laura John Rowland's mystery series set in feudal Japan. Thank you for telling us about the translations. I will have to look for them.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 10:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Pillywiggin

I hope you enjoy them and thanks for the names of the other books I will look up info on the plots tomorrow and when I get a chance will sit and read a few.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 11:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

I have read several works from Asimov that were enjoyable but "light Novel" is a term for Japanese style or in this case Chinese style of writing for those. I found their fantasy writing to very interesting because many draw upon their cultural lore history and traditions throughout the story lines.

I will give your recommendations, especially the first one a try. I'm always looking for a good read.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 11:35 PM
link   

If you mean Douluo Dalu that one is pretty good. Since he is reborn it starts out with him being a kid, but he retains his memories from his previous life so when he is 12 he is actually a 40-year-old in a kids body.

There is something like 273 chapters and they have translated up to 94. I looked at the raws and used google translate to get a feel of how far it progresses so I noticed about half way through he is in his 20s. That is one I really want to see fully translated it is a bit rough with google translate, but they seem to be knocking out about 3 chapters a week so it is something that I will check on to pass a few minutes in a chapter.

The second book they have already started translating.

I hope you enjoy it.

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 12:59 AM
link   

I am happy I found your post. I love books like this! Thank you!

posted on Mar, 26 2016 @ 01:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Quantum12

Enjoy. Here is another that is pretty good if you like the cultivator immortal thing.

ISSTH

There are a lot of books being translated on that site as well as many they have finished translating.

posted on Apr, 23 2016 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I recently read All You Need Is Kill, and I thought it was great.

posted on Aug, 22 2016 @ 03:54 PM
link   

While not exactly light (you do have to do some thinking and need to know some esoteric things... but if you are well read, you should be fine!)... here are a couple I like to point out to those tat still take the time to read a good book.

Couch by Benjamin Parzybok four friends have to move a couch out of an apartment... end up in South America with a couch that may be a magical object of some significance.

Nine Kinds of Naked by Tony Vigorito is well... awesome! No actual plot summary but filled with all kinds of time shifts, vortices, skinny dipping, gnomes, ah... it has been a while to remember it all. A fun goofball read none the less. I have also read the other book by TV which is also recommended, Just a Couple of Days.

edit on 22-8-2016 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: grammar nazi

top topics

join