It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do Aliens Believe in Aliens?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 11:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality
a reply to: SPECULUM

Proof of what?

Exactly

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 04:27 AM
link   

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 06:39 AM
link   
I often consider what aliens are thinking when they look up into their night sky, looking at the stars.'

When an intelligent being in the Andromeda galaxy (and I think intelligent aliens in Andromeda probably do exist) looks at a picture of the Milky way galaxy and all of the stars contained within it, do they say to themselves "I wonder what intelligent beings in that galaxy are thinking and doing right now".

It's also a bit odd to consider that there is some alien right now going about "his" (its?) day -- i.e., telling its mate and offspring "goodbye" as it goes off to work in the morning.

edit on 5/11/2015 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 06:50 AM
link   
well,
ever since man first set foot on the moon
there has been aliens;
and them are us.

the question is:
do aliens watch TV?
in which case they would know that there are aliens
and that they have landed on the moon

edit on Monam5b20155America/Chicago15 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 08:05 AM
link   
I imagine it is a mix. Some do some dont. While statistically unlikely it is entirely possible that there exists no other life in the universe that is sufficiently complex to comprehend the existence of beings outside of its species. For that matter they may not even have a concept of self.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Do you mean if its possible there is only one set of Aliens who think they are it? NADA. They know there are many types and all around us and throughout the multiverse.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Unity_99
Do you mean if its possible there is only one set of Aliens who think they are it? NADA. They know there are many types and all around us and throughout the multiverse.

I don't know about that.

Considering the size of the universe, there are probably a lot of different alien civilizations in different stages of technological development. It seems likely that somewhere out there is an intelligent species who haven't even yet contemplated that the stars have other worlds around them.

We, as a species, were once like that, and I see no reason why somewhere in the universe that there would not be another intelligent species who are similar to how we once were. I mean, we aren't so special that we were the only ones in the entire universe who didn't innately understand the nature of the cosmos when we were still a very young intelligent species 50,000+ years ago.

I'd be shocked that in the entire universe there was not a similarly young species who have not yet contemplated their place in the universe.

edit on 5/11/2015 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

Um....we're at the bottom of it, and yes there are other planets enslaved like earth, but the universe/multiverse has a lot of higher technological groups who get around rather quickly. Our solar system on the other hand is a hijacked one.
All around us, mostly dark side crapola here that keeps this perpetual operation going. You might try to intellectualize this, but for people experiencing this and remembering there is no wondering whats going on.

Also, there are many species but humanoid is the norm. Human humans abound as well. Alot of coding to Sirius, mind you its B, and Saturn, Moon here. The not good side.

Those in hijacked matrix, like prisoners are the only ones who can't see.

edit on 11-5-2015 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Unity_99

Correct me if my assessment of what you're saying is wrong, but it seems that you're saying Earth is a special and unique case throughout the entirety of the universe.

Are you saying Earth and Humans are so special and unique in the way that in the past (say 50,000 to 200,000 years ago), we as an intelligent species didn't understand the true nature of the cosmos? Are you saying there is no such thing as an intelligent alien species who may be in a similar stage of development that humans were in 50,000 to 200,000 years ago?

I don't see it. It seems the universe is too big of a place for humans to have been the only species ever in the entire history of the universe to have gone through a developmental period in which they did not realize the true nature of the universe. It seems almost certain that there must have been others, and there must still be others.

posted on May, 11 2015 @ 10:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse

I've wondered, if there is some Alien dude sitting watching Dancing With Binary Quazars or somesuch crap. Then all of a sudden the Seti signal burns through and up pop's Friends.

Is it just me? Or would anybody else be unsettled with an alien civilization getting that first impression of us?

Don't worry about it...ET's first impression was "I Love Lucy"...

And, I do believe somebody's got some "splanin" to do...

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

Doubt it. OP is talking about alien races as advanced or less advanced than we are. You're pretty obviously considering highly advances alien species, which doesn't fit the theme of the thread here.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

I'd say that your initial statement was completely correct. Intelligent species develop naturally, and for the early stages of that development, before they get a chance to actually get their asses into that galactic playground, they'll ponder the exact same things we do. It's actually pretty insane to assert that humans are at the bottom rung because, bluntly put, we haven't been at the bottom rung for tens of thousands of years. No species who can comprehend the universe, and know what planets are, and comprehend for themselves the possibility and probability of alien life is going to be at that rung.

A lot of the Aliens crowd has this absolutely insane belief that we're the bottom, everybody else knows better, and we are this weirdly special case that is all isolated. Realistically there will be various alien races at varying levels of technological, cultural, and spiritual development. Some out there traverse the stars. Some out there sit at home, watching TV and eating fatty junk foods. Maybe sitting with the space missus, chatting about how he had a crappy day as a retail worker.

The reality of the universe is probably no where near as fantastical as the UFO crowd wants it to be. Aliens will have wars, they will have racism, they will more likely than not have religion (not all of them, but plenty of them), they'll have entertainment, they'll cook, they'll have families. The alien races out there will, in short, be people. They will have the same basic motivations we do. Eat, sex, sleep, repeat. They'll have their own goals and ambition.

If we, as a species, survive long enough there absolutely will come a day when we are the people from the stars who stumble across a primitive people. We will have myths and legends written about us. And then we will know what motivations may have been the driving force between any ancient astronauts that might have visited us (for the record, I think all those theories are firmly pishposh, but I am open minded enough to entertain the idea as a hypothetical).

I think another big factor here is that, for some reason, most people want to assume that any alien will be some kind of ascended greater being. We don't want to anthropomorphize our aliens because we both want to be unique in our humanity, and want to feel that aliens are less a race of people evolved on another world and more a race of gods given flesh. And that is my rambling way of agreeing with you.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: obscurepanda
a reply to: TechniXcality

Doubt it. OP is talking about alien races as advanced or less advanced than we are. You're pretty obviously considering highly advances alien species, which doesn't fit the theme of the thread here.

Doesn't fir the real world very well either. Most ET's will be only slightly more advanced that Terrestrials.

Course, then again, there is no need for ET to be much more advanced. While most think ET will need FTL, that simply isn't true. It is possible to travel those short distances at sub-light.

posted on May, 13 2015 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: tanka418

Given the sheer amount of resources needed to advance that far, yeah. You're probably right. Assuming said races have had as much time to evolve as we have. Given a couple billion more years of time, and sure. They'd be so advanced it would be scary. But frankly, I think Star Trek has it right on this one. We'll meet the alien, and he'll be about where we're at. Assuming we ever meet them.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 11:40 PM
link   

What an intriguing thought-experiment - Einstein would've loved it! (ignore the stick-in-the-muds criticising you for postulating it).

Hmmm... well - If they are anything like us, then yes. If they are nothing like us, then yes. If they are us, then yes.

Yes.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Outrageo

Right.
We must believe that for all intelligent species throughout the universe, "Most" of their meager beginnings resembles ours.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: obscurepanda

Given the sheer amount of resources needed to advance that far, yeah. You're probably right. Assuming said races have had as much time to evolve as we have. Given a couple billion more years of time, and sure. They'd be so advanced it would be scary. But frankly, I think Star Trek has it right on this one. We'll meet the alien, and he'll be about where we're at. Assuming we ever meet them.

I wonder how many civilizations actually make it to a billion years. It may be the case that civilizations die of "civilization old age" (or by other means) long before being a billion -- or even a few million -- years old.

One billion years ago on Earth, there was hardly even any complex life at all. Most life was single-celled. While it's true that we can't only go by what happens on Earth as the standard of how things happen elsewhere, I also have to believe that Earth is not that special or unique of a place that "one billion years time" here on Earth is so much different from the standpoint of biology and civilization than it is elsewhere in the universe.

I suppose it's possible for an alien civilization to be a billion years old, but it just seems highly unlikely one could make it that far.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soylent Green Is People
I wonder how many civilizations actually make it to a billion years. It may be the case that civilizations die of "civilization old age" (or by other means) long before being a billion -- or even a few million -- years old.

I tried to find an answer to that very question...I researched how long a species' life time was. not a lot of data available, especially since everything was Earth based.

What I did find is that most species disappear after a relatively short time...course this "short time" is measured in millions of years...but most life forms, species, don't make it past a very few million years. They either die out, or evolve into something else.

So as for an Extraterrestrial civilization that is more than a few 100's of thousands of years...I guess at the probability being quite low.

I would also speculate that planets that are long lived enough, evolve ore than one advanced sentient space faring species and civilization.

BTW: complex life on Earth began about 500 million years ago...and Humans about 250,000 years ago.

edit on 15-5-2015 by tanka418 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Yes they do. Alien simply means from another planet. Any other being from another planet is an alien.

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   

I think a civilization's life span could be very different than that species' life span. A far-reaching space-faring civilization may die (i.e., no longer be a far-reaching space-faring civilization), while the actual species lives on.

Consider the dark ages here on Earth, when much of our civilization (much of our science, art, culture, and knowledge in general) almost died.

edit on 5/18/2015 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join