It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Restaurant to host 'White Appreciation Day'

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: daaskapital
A white appreciation day is no more racist than a black appreciation day. It's only perceived to be racist because anything to do with white people is 'institutionally oppressive'.

Seriously, some of the beliefs people have nowadays about racism are insane. Some believe that minorities can't be racist because racism is apparently the holding of privilege and power over a minority. That means that in Western societies, it is only white people who can be racist because of bull# theories of white people automatically holding a superior amount of 'privilege'. Crazy, i know.

As for the topic at hand, i don't see any problems. Have a white appreciation day. Have a black appreciation day. As long as there is no racism (the actual definition of it applied) or other extremist acts, it shouldn't matter. People should be able to celebrate their cultural heritage and history without prejudice and hate from others. Minorities are allowed to do so. Why not whites?

That just about sums it all up right there.

Off topic but YES!!!!!! My POS phone started quoting again magically just as it magically stopped!!!!!

Effing technology!!!! I hate you somtimes!!!!

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: undo

originally posted by: olaru12

I wonder what will be on the menu?

Mashed patatoes
white rice
White Bread
Cauliflower.
Vanila Ice cream
Cottage cheese
and Milk

yummmm!!

you forgot white sugar.

and 714s
edit on 10-5-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   

I wonder what will be on the menu?

Mashed patatoes
white rice
White Bread
Cauliflower.
Vanila Ice cream
Cottage cheese
and Milk

yummmm!!

you forgot white sugar.

and coc aine

and now let's list off all the stuff that's bad for you that's yellow. then red. then brown. then black. by the time we're done, we'll have poisoned the whole planet.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
a reply to: Krakatoa

I don't really see a problem with it. I wonder if this restaurant has discounts for other colors of people on other days...

my daughter had a friend since childhood who was half black and half white. she now lives with us. i wonder if she would qualify. i think of her like a daughter. if the president of the usa doesn't qualify, then we has a problem. and that problem is, making programs based on race. this is not supposed to be a country based on racial segregation/superiority/inferiority. that it started out that way was a travesty, but we have moved on from that, so why are we now going backwards?

We're going backwards because some minorities don't want to be considered equal. They want special treatment apparently. We're headed back towards segregation voluntarily.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: undo

If your friend doesn't qualify for the "white" day, maybe she'll qualify for the Black Appreciation Day. Obama would. He considers himself to be black.

I agree that it should be done for all skin colors, or none at all.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

Black History Month and Hispanic Heritage Month.

Not quite the same thing.

Public school history books were very "white hetero male".

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

So this means we swing so far to the other side of the pendulum that even minorities notice and then people threaten to kill them and blow up their restaurant for daring to appreciate white people?

Its getting ridiculous.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 09:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: OpinionatedB

So this means we swing so far to the other side of the pendulum that even minorities notice and then people threaten to kill them and blow up their restaurant for daring to appreciate white people?

Its getting ridiculous.

go lady go!

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 09:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: ItCameFromOuterSpace
We're going backwards because some minorities don't want to be considered equal. They want special treatment apparently. We're headed back towards segregation voluntarily.

I think you have this a bit wrong, but it might be me.

It seems to me that minority's in America (which arnt actually a relative minority by numbers) feel that an "American" is seen as a white American and they want to be equal in every way but not lose their identity/heritage by seeming to be aiming to be a white American.

Unfortunately, celebrating their own personal identity's in these ways doesnt go towards reminding the public that they have their identity's, it seems more to promote a defiance and resistance to "giving in" and becoming the American we all keep telling ourselves everyone should be.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

If your friend doesn't qualify for the "white" day, maybe she'll qualify for the Black Appreciation Day. Obama would. He considers himself to be black.

I agree that it should be done for all skin colors, or none at all.

yes but they both should qualify for the half white day as well. that there's even a question is the stupid part. it's stupid, bh, stupid, as in, STUPID.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 09:34 AM
link   

He said anyone who asks will get a discount.. what more do you want?

“It’s like we’ve said many times before, if a black person comes in here and says, ‘Hey, what about my discount,’ they’re going to get a discount,” Mr. Antillon said. “If a Mexican comes in here and says, ‘I want a discount,’ they’re going to get a discount. Nobody’s going to be turned down for anything.”

link
edit on 10-5-2015 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

Black History Month and Hispanic Heritage Month.

Not quite the same thing.

Public school history books were very "white hetero male".

Because early american history was predominantly white culture.

It isn't done by omission, it is just a fact.

Sorry all nationalities didn't play a dominant role in creating america.

It was mostly white people.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

I agree, celebrate all or none. We do already have an "American Appreciation Day", it's on July 4th, and known as "Independence Day". That is a day to celebrate our country and we as Americans....and rightfully so, regardless of some small minority of folks who protest that day. And due to their protected 1st Amendment rights, they can do that without fear of govt interference.

Personally, I think that a "White Appreciation Day" which is a nationally and federally recognized calendar day would be fair if the same is done for the others. If not, then there should be no special recognition for a skin color that none of us (excluding Michael Jackson) had any say into being born with is needed. It should be a recognition of deeds and positive contributions to American history or ideals.

OFF-TOPIC COMMENT: As for the other poster here that mentioned that educational materials (books, etc...) being used in public schools are "white centric"...please let's not derail the discussion by going down that road since I do not think you can prove that the text books are ALL written and produced by white only people.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 09:39 AM
link   
My school had a black trojan mascot... Dominantly white? Absolutely not.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: LoverBoy

lol... our school mascot was a blue alien blob.. (we designed it in our art class!)

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Biigs

originally posted by: ItCameFromOuterSpace

I think you have this a bit wrong, but it might be me.

It seems to me that minority's in America (which arnt actually a relative minority by numbers) feel that an "American" is seen as a white American and they want to be equal in every way but not lose their identity/heritage by seeming to be aiming to be a white American.

Unfortunately, celebrating their own personal identity's in these ways doesnt go towards reminding the public that they have their identity's, it seems more to promote a defiance and resistance to "giving in" and becoming the American we all keep telling ourselves everyone should be.

If that were the case, the ideal american is a second generation Asian child.

Why don't we have Asian american month?

These mofos aren't playing around.

Us white folks are just middle of the road.

The Asians are outstripping everyone on all fronts in america.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 09:41 AM
link   
What would people do on white appreciation day? How white must one be to be appreciated,

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: OpinionatedB

He said anyone who asks will get a discount.. what more do you want?

i agree with you. but i think the idea we have ______ (fill in race) segregated programs, events, etc, is ridiculous. it's a free country, so they are allowed to (well not everyone is allowed to apparently), but that we took our healing society and turned it into a mockery of itself is disgusting. makes the deaths of all those people and the hard work of generations of non-racists, totally useless and irrelevant.

"do you support racial equality? well here's a good smack upside the head you dimwit! if you hadn't done that equality crap, you'd still be able to exercise your superiority over others, dummy."

that's how i read it. we're being punished for not being racists.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: OpinionatedB
Hahaha. We actually went from the River Rats, to a white trojan, to a black trojan. River rats? I would take a rainbow alien over that anyday.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   

it's stupid, bh, stupid, as in, STUPID.

Oh, I agree. I think it's stupid for a restaurant to have "black appreciation day", "latino appreciation day", or "white appreciation day". WHY would he??? But when I say I don't see a problem, I mean it doesn't bother me. He may get less business, he may get more, but as long as the government doesn't interfere, I don't see a problem.

Annee is right that our HISTORY is filled with white dominance and supremacy. But that's all changing and if we don't want any skin color (or religion, or creed or sexual orientation) to dominate, if someone wants to do something stupid, it's his right and I don't have a problem with it.

I agree with OpinionatedB. Swinging the pendulum to the other extreme isn't the way to be equal. Equality means equality. But it doesn't always work out that way in a society full of people with different views.
edit on 5/10/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join