It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"X Machina" ... a review

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   
This film was very creepy and slick at the same time. Almost a minimalist but thought provoking script, hip and contempory, bro, & great acting if a bit stiff in the beginning, but as the principals settled in, the performances flowed well. Great direction, great cinematography, editing, and an oh so cool location. The ending was a bit predictable but still had a nice twist.

Sorry no explosions, car chases or choreographed martial arts BS fight scenes. The big screen isn't necessary but a good sound system is to get the full impact of this film.

edit on 9-5-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Just tell us, Is the dude schtoopin the mechanical chick or not?
edit on 9-5-2015 by HUMBLEONE because: Cha Cha Cha....

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: HUMBLEONE

That's a fair question but no spoilers from me....

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 08:38 AM
link   
So much symbolism in the title alone, won't watch the movie. Bet its just another call, as most of their movies are, for a reset to 0 and a nice double cross for humanity. I see that as planet X, so our moon, agent for saturn, or saturn. X, part of the female's menstruation cycle governed by the moon, and giving birth to the sea men, slaves for the el ites.
And they're calling the reset, every 1000 years, big cycles, little cycles, this is the turn of the zodiac, so its a rather big one, from pisces to aquarius.

Double crossed:

sp.yimg.com...
Knights Templar

sp.yimg.com...
UK flag, double cross.

They don't stop, each movie the same theme or title or hidden message it appears.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Your review is pretty spot on, OP, a lot of the points you've pointed out about it I have the same impressions.

I got to sit through (so to speak) a marketing study online about X Machina, probably 2 or 3 months back, they were throwing out their demographic feelers on it prior to theater distribution. Basically, I got to see about 20 minutes' worth of it, while giving feedback. From what bits of it I did get to see, your review seems pretty spot on. I don't think the movie itself requires being seen in a theater, but it's no straight-to-DVD stinker, either.

And I'm not spoilering anything for anyone either, it's actually one of the ones where I'll admit it definitely looks worth the ticket price to go see

originally posted by: Unity_99
So much symbolism in the title alone, won't watch the movie. Bet its just another call, as most of their movies are, for a reset to 0 and a nice double cross for humanity. I see that as planet X, so our moon, agent for saturn, or saturn. X, part of the female's menstruation cycle governed by the moon, and giving birth to the sea men, slaves for the el ites.
And they're calling the reset, every 1000 years, big cycles, little cycles, this is the turn of the zodiac, so its a rather big one, from pisces to aquarius.

Double crossed:

sp.yimg.com...
Knights Templar

sp.yimg.com...
UK flag, double cross.

They don't stop, each movie the same theme or title or hidden message it appears.

Whatever.
edit on 5/10/2015 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

You can stay in whatever box you're in, this movie and its title is just one more, in what is now leaping out as the major plot in many. Once you have the keys to unravel their pile of dung it starts to stink to high heavens.

And people who don't keep researching to learn/know/understand what it is that they're stuck in, I have to say, "whatever" to that mentality, except that its not true, don't write anyone off, and whatever it takes in this world or the next, intend to see all people free.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Unity_99

I can see symbolism in a random stranger's fart if I want, it doesn't make it mean anything worthwhile. Nice hijack on the OP's thread, though. If you want to keep it up, try the appropriate forum & your own thread on the movie.

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Unity_99
So much symbolism in the title alone, won't watch the movie. Bet its just another call, as most of their movies are .....

What does any of that have to do with the original thread which was a review of the film?

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 10:08 PM
link   
It was good but I found it very depressing. The morality of the humans was deplorable (cept maybe the kid) but even the AI had no remorse...
edit on pmbAmerica/ChicagovAmerica/ChicagoMon, 11 May 2015 13:31:11 -0500pm1America/Chicago by abeverage because: spelling edit

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Unity_99

What the...

What?

posted on May, 18 2015 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Hi Olaru,
I agree, I watched this last night and certainly left an impression. The cinematography throughout is deafeningly quiet and minimalistic. The scenes are stunning and complimented by believable characters. I quite like the ending, too.

It raises some interesting yet sometimes unsettling moral dilemmas. Without spoiling it, all I can say is that if you like your sci-fi, give Ex-Machina a go.

8/10

posted on May, 19 2015 @ 03:54 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Saw it the other night. There was so much more they could have done with this movie. My husband and I were disappointed. We watch very little in the way of T.V. and movies. We do not own a t.v. at all. However, we were drawn to the idea of this movie and possibility of an original plot, something that is rare these days. They really could have done with less air time of the landscape, and more on character development.

Potentially, it could have been one of the best movies in the last 10 years, if they had taken advantage of everything they had to work with, instead, it felt like certain scenes were time fillers while other scenes could have been made epic if they just had a little more development and film time.

Also while I won't spoil it, yeah, the ending was predictable. I was disappointed that the plot twist I was hoping for never happened.

I give it an A for potential, but C for following through on that potential. Overall I guess a b- since it wasn't a remake of a remake.

Edit to add that I still can't come up with an appropriate response to Unity_99 although I highly suggest she sleeps it off.
edit on 5/19/2015 by calstorm because: (no reason given)

edit on 5/19/2015 by calstorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I still enjoyed it, but yeah, the twist could be seen coming a mile away. That said, visually, a stunning movie, and thought provoking. Certainly worth the watch. And you want to have a good sound system if you're watching it at home like I did.

posted on Jun, 10 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
This film was very creepy and slick at the same time. Almost a minimalist but thought provoking script, hip and contempory, bro, & great acting if a bit stiff in the beginning, but as the principals settled in, the performances flowed well. Great direction, great cinematography, editing, and an oh so cool location. The ending was a bit predictable but still had a nice twist.

Sorry no explosions, car chases or choreographed martial arts BS fight scenes. The big screen isn't necessary but a good sound system is to get the full impact of this film.

I haven't watched it yet but I fear that it will take on the typical narrative of artificial intelligence being a bad thing. I guess we'll see. I might still enjoy it regardless.

new topics

top topics

join