It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F.B.I. E-Mail Refers to Presidential Order Authorizing Inhumane Interrogation Techniques

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 12:35 PM
link   
The ACLU released a document stating that newly obtained FBI records indicate that President Bush authorized the torture of prisoners in Iraq.

American Civil Liberties Union

Monday 20 December 2004

Newly obtained F.B.I. records call Defense Department's methods "torture," express concerns over "cover-up" that may leave F.B.I. "holding the bag" for abuses.

NEW YORK - A document released for the first time today by the American Civil Liberties Union suggests that President Bush issued an Executive Order authorizing the use of inhumane interrogation methods against detainees in Iraq. Also released by the ACLU today are a slew of other records including a December 2003 FBI e-mail that characterizes methods used by the Defense Department as "torture" and a June 2004 "Urgent Report" to the Director of the FBI that raises concerns that abuse of detainees is being covered up.

"These documents raise grave questions about where the blame for widespread detainee abuse ultimately rests," said ACLU Executive Director Anthony D. Romero. "Top government officials can no longer hide from public scrutiny by pointing the finger at a few low-ranking soldiers."

The documents were obtained after the ACLU and other public interest organizations filed a lawsuit against the government for failing to respond to a Freedom of Information Act request.

Full Story

Now if the ACLU is right and I believe they are because I believe Bush ordered the tortures than he and his Administration have alot to answer for. This is the thing I find so dispicable. No matter what, Bush and his neo-cons have not confessed to anything nor have they apologized to anything.

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 12:43 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 01:22 PM
link   
This is the part that bothers me also.

Text "These documents raise grave questions about where the blame for widespread detainee abuse ultimately rests," said ACLU Executive Director Anthony D. Romero. "Top government officials can no longer hide from public scrutiny by pointing the finger at a few low-ranking soldiers."

While we have seen the scapegoat, been paraded on tv and on pictures, we have not seen anything done to the masterminds of the abuses.

The soldiers were following orders, then where are the guilty ones that gave the orders.

If justices is to be served all the guilty party from the top down should have been called and identified.

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 01:30 PM
link   

as posted by marg
If justices is to be served all the guilty party from the top down should have been called and identified.

And I can whole-heartedly agree with this, Marg, but in identifying those who may be apart of this authorization process, I think that it needs to be done with adequate, factual evidences and not conjecture and allegations.

seekerof

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof

And I can whole-heartedly agree with this, Marg, but in identifying those who may be apart of this authorization process, I think that it needs to be done with adequate, factual evidences and not conjecture and allegations.
seekerof

I know you do, I truly feel that you are fair enough, and I got my fingers cross that we may seem more evidence coming out in the next few weeks.

Such an allegation like this involving the President has to be linked to a bigger picture.

My husband said that you don't take aim agaisnt the the government or the president directly without evidence.

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 01:40 PM
link   
...and they NEVER will admit it.
The consequences of it would be too great for them to take.
Can you imagine this nation's and the the world's view of them if this is
proven to be true?

Of course there are many here in this country who seem to believe all Muslims should be tortured or that the abuse was'nt "that bad".
So who knows what would happen? They might even get medals for
their behavior.

There's no way even a hint of liability for Bush and Cheney
is going to come straight from them.
The only way is to have solid documented proof.

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 01:43 PM
link   

as posted by Marg
My husband said that you don't take aim agaisnt the the government or the president directly without evidence.

Again, agreed. In this applied case of the "memo" and ACLU FBI E-Mail, I see nothing remotely resembling evidence as to implicating Bush as giving authority for the use of controversial methods to obtain information. Again, I have stated before in the other like topic thread, that the alledged "presidential executive order" is lacking credibility when placed beside what is known on Presidential executive orders. It is simply an allegation backed by nothing but a ACLU claimed FBI E-Mail and/or "memo".

seekerof

[edit on 22-12-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
It is simply an allegation backed by nothing but a ACLU claimed FBI E-Mail and/or "memo".
seekerof

And I agree, we should wait, to see who's head is going to roll first from that FBI E-Mail been in the media and ACLU.

So is going to be very interesting in the next few weeks how this "evidence " is going to developed into.

Either the government will dismiss it or it will go full charge against the perpetrators of the E-Mail

join