It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boston University prof flunks 'white masculinity' in controversial tweets

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: pteridine
a reply to: Indigo5 In an earlier post, I said that the gangsta' cRap 'culture' is toxic to black youth. their way out of their situation without any skillset is through drugs. It is easy, it is immediate, and many have no other choice.

Agree on the drug issue...Undermine it at it's source. Legalize where reasonable, reduce or eliminate the ungodly expense and disproportionately unjust incarceration of people for minor drug offenses. Like you said...less money driving crime, guns, murder etc. Less options apart from hard work to escape poverty.

And here is the truth. I am a survivor. I do well economically. I have choices. If I was raised in a ghetto in an impoverished home, horrible schools and surrounded by crime and poverty...I would still survive...by any means necessary. I would do what I had to feed my kids and give them a better life. Hell ...90% of wall street are just white collar criminals. If you started their lives over and stuck them in the ghetto, changed their skin color and upbringing from birth, they would be running drug rings. Everyone has a drive to survive...we just need to manage the options of what allows them to get there.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I'm gonna lay it out and not sugar coat it. This woman should be fired. Period.

Sorry to all you self hating white liberals, but yes... black people can be racist. And to add are some of the MOST racist people on earth.

Yes there was slavery in America. No one today owned slaves. No one today I'm sure condones owning slaves, or the way they were treated, etc. So you know what black America?? GET THE F' OVER IT. I don't owe you anything. I don't owe you because I'm white. I don't owe you because several generations ago your great grandpappy was a slave. I don't care. So stop this attitude that you have a RIGHT to be a flat out racist towards white people. As I can recall from history, white America has bent over backwards to make amends. But we live in a society today where that "gibs me dat" mentality exists.

This "professor" should realize something. White people look at her and laugh. She is the epitome of what white America dislikes about black America (minus the whites who play the "white people are evil" card).

Now with that said, I'm sure I'll get those labeling me as a "racist". Well... I probably am. But does me having dislike for this woman, who happens to be black, mean I hate ALL black people? I don't.. but whatever makes you sleep better at night.

This country has fallen into a "politically correct" nightmare. I watched sheer outrage over a Georgian Principal because she used the word "black people" and it was caught on video. I watched a bus full of kids lives be destroyed because a PRIVATE moment was secretly recorded. Was what they did stupid. Yes. But look at the repercussions THEY faced.

Now I see this woman spewing her racist nonsense. And it's excused as "free speech". I've seen other "celebrities" do the exact same thing, and it's excused because "blacks can't be racist". I see people looting and rioting and shooting police officers. And it's excused because "oh well there is black anger".

Well no longer should it be excused. No longer should it be brushed aside. You want to sit here and tell me blacks can't be racist? Okay.. be my guest. But you are wrong.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: DerekJR321

Don't know what to do with that rant..

Uhh...Yes, black people can be racist...ditto Chinese and every color and creed...and ditto for yourself?

The White race is not an exclusive combination of Racists or "Self Hating White People" yada yada?

Most of us just objectively go about our lives trying not judge people's character by the color of their skin and calling BS when people say or do outright racist crap?

Nobody is right if everybody is wrong...and the reverse is true...and more so when talking not about one person, but tens of millions? You seem to be happy painting with your vitriolic big brush?

So...Shooting cops is bad...and shooting unarmed people is bad...Not frequenting white businesses on MLK day is stupid...and so is assuming any black man that is driving a crappy car or a really nice car..or any car in between is worth pulling over is stupid..Both are ignorant...

are we not allowed to just call racism and ignorance as we see it? Cuz your rant reads ugly to me ...and frankly, yes..racist...in the way you have defined a Black vs. White debate.

edit on 14-5-2015 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigo5

Uhh...Yes, black people can be racist...ditto Chinese and every color and creed...and ditto for yourself?

The White race is not an exclusive combination of Racists or "Self Hating White People" yada yada?

Most of us just objectively go about our lives trying not judge people's character by the color of their skin and calling BS when people say or do outright racist crap?

Nobody is right if everybody is wrong...and the reverse is true...and more so when talking not about one person, but tens of millions? You seem to be happy painting with your vitriolic big brush?

So...Shooting cops is bad...and shooting unarmed people is bad...Not frequenting white businesses on MLK day is stupid...and so is assuming any black man that is driving a crappy car or a really nice car..or any car in between is worth pulling over is stupid..Both are ignorant...

are we not allowed to just call racism and ignorance as we see it? Cuz your rant reads ugly to me ...and frankly, yes..racist...in the way you have defined a Black vs. White debate.

Yes.. It was a rant. Because I'm tired of it. I'm tired of this attitude of "Blacks can say whatever they want" because of slavery. I should rephrase that. "Blacks can say whatever they want and have zero repercussions".

I don't personally define myself as a racist. But I can certainly assume that others perception of me is as such. If I happen to dislike you, and you happen to be black... that doesn't inherently mean I dislike ALL black people. And the truth is, I DON'T dislike all black people. I went to a predominantly black High School, had many close friends whom were black, co-workers, etc. I didn't dislike them because of their skin color. But that is not to say that there aren't black people whom I dislike. Do you follow what I am saying? If I hate you and you happen to be Jewish.. that doesn't make me a Nazi Anti-Semite.

In respect to this woman, she has every right to say what she did. What I take exception to is her position with Boston University, and their defense of her actions. She wrote this crap on her Twitter page, but tried to say it was private messages. That is complete nonsense. Anyone with a semi-functioning brain knows that Twitter is a public platform. She wrote those things with the intention that they be seen. I take exception that Boston University is excusing this action from a person whom represents their University. And let's be 100% honest here. If she were a white woman, talking about blacks, she would undoubtedly no longer have a job.

Case in point. The Principal from Georgia. In case you, or anyone else is unaware what I am referring to, here is a link to an article about it. Please honestly review it and tell me that what this Principal did was any more racist than the comments made by this "Professor". There are many many examples of white people getting fired from their jobs for making similar or even more benign comments.

Why is it that if a white person has pride in being white, they are a racist, a nazi, a skin head? If a black person has pride in their race they are "powerful", "strong", "a leader"? Why is it that David Duke is vilified and ignored yet people like Al Sharpton, James Cone, Alice Walker, etc are celebrated and honored?

I ask this question because there is a STRONG belief it seems in this country, that the only people capable of being "racist" are white people. By definition alone we know this to be impossible, but it is an attitude commonly carried, even by our own sitting President. When speaking about his WHITE grandmother, Obama said

She is a typical white person who, uh, if she sees somebody on the street that she doesn’t know there’s a reaction that’s been been bred into our experiences that don’t go away and that sometimes come out in the wrong way and that’s just the nature of race in our society.

It's as if it has been engrained into peoples minds. I'm a realist. I understand and accept that racism exists, and that it ALWAYS will exist so long as we are human. It is in our nature. Anyone who says they have NEVER had a racist thought in their life is just lying. So it confuses me that some will excuse this Professor, even defend and applaud her comments. This is a person who is teaching at a University that both black and white students PAY to attend. If this is her attitude, is she really capable of teaching youth? Or will she just indoctrinate them with her views on the world?

She is free to say whatever she wants. That is America. She should be able to say it, and not apologize for it, if it is her views. What I don't accept is Boston University supporting her. They simply brush it off as if it has nothing to do with them. And it does. I question the double standard that exists in this country. Why a black woman's comments are excused but a white Principal is fired for saying "black people".

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: DerekJR321

originally posted by: Indigo5

Yes.. It was a rant. Because I'm tired of it. I'm tired of this attitude of "Blacks can say whatever they want" because of slavery. I should rephrase that. "Blacks can say whatever they want and have zero repercussions".

I'll be direct and blunt. That is your perception, not reality.

I didn't dislike them because of their skin color. But that is not to say that there aren't black people whom I dislike. Do you follow what I am saying? If I hate you and you happen to be Jewish.. that doesn't make me a Nazi Anti-Semite.

You are entitled to not like people who also happen to be black...Doesn't make you racist.

In respect to this woman, she has every right to say what she did. What I take exception to is her position with Boston University, and their defense of her actions.

Boston university has condemned the "tweets" she hasn't started work yet and her job is in question.

Case in point. The Principal from Georgia. In case you, or anyone else is unaware what I am referring to, here is a link to an article about it. Please honestly review it and tell me that what this Principal did was any more racist than the comments made by this "Professor". There are many many examples of white people getting fired from their jobs for making similar or even more benign comments.

Honestly don't care much. Private institutions and companies are free to fire or tolerate what they choose to. The consequences are public response in dollars or attendance. Free speech doesn't mean people can or cannot be fired.

Why is it that if a white person has pride in being white, they are a racist, a nazi, a skin head? If a black person has pride in their race they are "powerful", "strong", "a leader"? Why is it that David Duke is vilified and ignored yet people like Al Sharpton, James Cone, Alice Walker, etc are celebrated and honored?

Well..for one thing "White Pride" is just dumb...White people are all kinds of heritages...Being Prideful of your Irish, german, French, Croation, US Colonial heritage is one thing, but declaring..gee-golly I am WHITE as a heritage is just stupid and speaks to an undercurrent of racism, not being able to see beyond color.

With "Black Pride" it is more of a counter balance to a couple hundred years where their heritage and humanity and pride were intentionally obliterated. They were recorded in censuses as equal to cattle with name or origin. So encouraging young black people to be prideful of their color in the context of severe historical oppression and measures of continued racism seems just. That said...genealogy being a hobby...there is a big movement right now amongst African Americans to plow through the obscure slave trade records plus DNA analysis and trace their "Heritage" back to specific regions of Africa.

I ask this question because there is a STRONG belief it seems in this country, that the only people capable of being "racist" are white people. By definition alone we know this to be impossible,

No...anybody can be racist, but African Americans as a minority and statistically less economically powerful find themselves on the business end of racism more often than the other way around.

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: christophoros
a reply to: notmyrealname

Masculinity in itself is the problem doesn't matter the race

Firstly, masculinity has nothing to do with gender so I do not understand your baiting comment. Masculinity is no more or less of a problem as femininity is a problem.

I have followed your posts, c'mon, you can do better than that!

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 05:44 PM
link   

There has to be a balance masculinity is not what it used to be it's about power and control now all these rapes all these killings for power and money. I think if guys were a little less like assholes and actually confronted their emotions and insecurities the world would be a better place.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: Metallicus

originally posted by: Obsrvr
a reply to: Metallicus

So she's a racist. Are you really surprised?

I had to go through 'diversity training' at my old job. In the class we were 'taught' that black people can't be racist...only white people.

Going by the academic definition of racism, this is correct. Racism goes beyond thoughts and extends into having the power to affect someones lives. Poor minorities have little to no power, which means their thoughts against white people are harmless, they can't do anything with them. White people running a corporation though? They have plenty of power to affect those black lives.

The thing is, I have studied racism and social justice a great deal.

Now days many "social justice warriors" claim what you just claimed, that "Racism is ONLY defined by prejudice combined with the structural power to be able to systematically apply it to a minority, hence only white people can be racist."

The problem with your argument, and theirs, is two-fold. One, that definition is NOT the only definition of racism, by any means. Just google definition of racism, and without any doubt dozens of sources will show that racism is ALSO defined by interpersonal prejudice based on race.

Second, too often people such as yourself, while claiming to just be sticking to the institutionalized racism form of the definition, actually use such arguments to deny that any other groups can project hatred, judgment, prejudice, etc, on to Whites or others based on their race.

See, as an ally I can both know and recognize the history that Blacks have faced, as well as the role that real institutionalized racism has played in their oppression.

I can also be intellectually honest and recognize that institutionalized racism is exactly that, ONE form of racism.

I can also recognize and be objective that we shouldn't excuse hatred, over-generalizations, nor stereotypes of White people.

^This is a well measured and balanced perspective.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   
This is crazy, so the GA school principal was fired and the BU Racist professor isn't?

Source

A Georgia principal was fired Thursday after making an offensive remark about black people during a graduation ceremony last week.

The board of TNT Academy in Lilburn confirmed that Nancy Gordeuk had been dismissed as principal of the school after her bizarre speech was caught on camera and widely shared on social media.

WTF? The double standards in the current society are dumbfounding......

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   

There has to be a balance masculinity is not what it used to be it's about power and control now all these rapes all these killings for power and money. I think if guys were a little less like assholes and actually confronted their emotions and insecurities the world would be a better place.

So you are saying that masculinity has been redefined, of late, and is now about power and control. What was it about before? Do you think all men are assholes or just those in your circles?

I think if people actually confronted reality and accepted the consequences of their actions, the world would be a better place.

posted on May, 15 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I swear to everything eeeeeeerybody finds holy

The world has gone mental. Seriously mental.

posted on May, 16 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   

a reply to: openminded2011

You just called her a Nazi for wanting spend money in her own community lol

No, I called her a nazi for targeting people of a specific race/ethnicity and boycotting them for belonging to that race/ethnicity.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join