It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The British public are better than this (another conservative victory)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 07:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist
a reply to: funkadeliaaaa

I don't think the 'people' have lost interest in 'Politics' at all as it covers a wide range of areas/topics!

There are a whole load of World Issues for people to get involved with and comment on on the www... in fact I'm willing to bet 'Political Issues' is one the most commented on sections on the WWW.

Yes, exactly! Which is why voter turnout has increased so much in recent years. People care about the issues, and care about voting it seems, but still vote based on superficial assessments fed to them by the mainstream media, and not much else, in my opinion.

Politics is very far from the intellectual persuit it used to be, and party politics is largely to blame for that.
It's too polished and self engrossed, so what people are actually voting for is who to gamble their tax money on... Rather than what policies they want in place in a civilised society, and who represents their beleifs.... Its Crapitalism.

edit on 8 5 15 by funkadeliaaaa because: (no reason given)

edit on 8 5 15 by funkadeliaaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Not a suprise at all. I mean, could anyone really see Milliband as prime minister?
Cameron is the lesser of 2 idiots in my mind.

Labour should appoint Milliband's brother David as leader. He comes across as someone who knows what he's talking about and wouldnt bow to pressure in the commons and World politics.
He should never have stood aside to let Ed become leader

I think when people are voting they look at the party leader and think "hmmm would he make a good prime minister?"
And then vote accordingly.
Im not saying everyone thinks this, their local representative is important too, but who becomes PM is definitely in their minds
edit on 8/5/15 by SecretKnowledge because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/5/15 by SecretKnowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 08:12 AM
link   
As said before by another poster I think this is the best result we could have had. If labour had got in and had to be propped up by the SNP, then another election would have been called before Christmas.

What I find shocking is more people voted for UKIP across the UK than voted for LIB DEMS and SNP Combined and yet they only have one MP compared to 58 SNP MPs.

The SNP won't have the voice they think in Parliament, and they certainty wont be writing any Queen Speech and creating the budget as Alex mouthed off about before polling day.

If you don't like what we have today, blame the SNP for crushing the labour party both in Scotland and England. Had Alex and Nicola kept their traps shut about Queens Speeches and Budgets being controlled by them, then Labour may have had the chance at the election, mind you with Ed Millipede as leader, it was always going to be a long shot.

And those against all the cuts to benefits! So what, get a job, stop poncing of working peoples taxes. I'm all for helping those out in need, like the elderly and disabled but why should working folk subsidise bone idol bums to sit on their arses at home watching Jeremy Kyle when the rest of us are working? Id go a step further, if your able to work and cant be bothered then you should be made to do "Community Service" and made to earn your DOLE MONEY!!!

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 08:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: SecretKnowledge

Labour should appoint Milliband's brother David as leader. He comes across as someone who knows what he's talking about and wouldnt bow to pressure in the commons and World politics.

Labour would have won if David had been leader but there is no chance of that happening now as you would have to be an MP elected yesterday to stand in the leadership campaign and thus we would have to wait at least 5 years before David could run as MP again (unless someone dies and there's a by-election)

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Total nonsense...

The public are simply uneducated and take sound bites from press conferences as gospel gossip.

If the electorate had paid full attention to what actually goes on in parliament (its broadcast live on BBC parliament every day for christsake, with repeats every evening of the main debates), rather than letting the establishment media shill them off into the scaremongering rhetoric and soundbites is both sides, then labour would have won, and it would have had little to do with the character of party leaders, and everytning to do with the character of party politics which is always shallow, but made even shallower at election time.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 08:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
Insert democrat and republican, and this is the same argument we have in the states.

yes lets Americanize a UK election.

This has nothing to do with americanizing a UK election. I only pointed out that it's the same story in every country. People choose sides and they think the other side is stupid because they disagree. The name of the country and the name of the sides makes no difference.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: funkadeliaaaa
Total nonsense...

The public are simply uneducated and take sound bites from press conferences as gospel gossip.

How patronising of you ...

Calling over half the country of voting adults uneducated and susceptible

to sound bites, and being unable to make a reasoned decision.

Your life must be very difficult having to among all these dense uneducated

morons!!!

edit on 8-5-2015 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

Well, they are and its true... The electorate are uneducated about what really goes on in Westminster, however, I'm not saying its their fault. Its the media who feed us the soundbites, and politicians who expect the public's attention span to be between 10 seconds and two minutes.

You're the one being for calling me patronising.

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: funkadeliaaaa
a reply to: eletheia

Well, they are and its true... The electorate are uneducated about what really goes on in Westminster, however, I'm not saying its their fault. Its the media who feed us the soundbites, and politicians who expect the public's attention span to be between 10 seconds and two minutes.

You're the one being for calling me patronising.

Could it be that half the people simply disagree with you? Or that maybe they have different priorities for their politicians than you?

posted on May, 9 2015 @ 08:00 AM
link   
What people need to do in a system that is rigged, where both sides are evil, is to become not only self governing, ie withdraw from all concepts of law that someone else can govern you with their bad ideas, and then empower yourself and everyone around you, ie that means the little guy, to speak up and take charge of the system and make it work no matter who gets in because people wake up and realize they're the boss of this, and what they determine as the rules is all that matters, that they're not going to stand under anyone else.

In order to accomplish Freedom and Equality in the bigger system, society, they need to speak up and become empowered while empowering others, and solutions that people come up with, not the so called employee minion elected ones, need to create win/win's, not winners and losers. That takes empathy, and understanding. That means knee jerk wishes to harm the vulnerable, disabled or poor isn't going to cut it. You have to create a system that allows for everyone's existence and needs to be met, AND provides freedoms. Otherwise you're just as much a donkeys butt hole as the leaders are and deserve them.

The real work isn't elections, that is usually the farce, the real work is always what people do inbetween elections. So the majority are trained to do nothing, and only participate in the least important ritual, electing the evil king. Well that is not democracy of any kind, representational or proportional its just slavery.
edit on 9-5-2015 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist
As for the actual 'voting', i only got to mark one paper and that was for my 'Constituency'. For some reason I didn't get to vote for who goes in at No.10?? Very weird I thought.

Oh you mean like the unelected EU President that we keep complaining about?

posted on May, 10 2015 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: flammadraco
Labour would have won if David had been leader but there is no chance of that happening now as you would have to be an MP elected yesterday to stand in the leadership campaign and thus we would have to wait at least 5 years before

Labour would have won if they had more appeal and their policies made sense, thus generating more votes.

While it is debatable that a alternative leader would have helped Labour, they are a party hobbled by a large measure of mistrust and have lost connection with the electorate.

posted on May, 12 2015 @ 06:37 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Personally i think Labour failed to attain the required votes/seats because they may very well have gotten in to bed with the SNP. The English people were never going to accept that particular brand of rule. One good thing that may come of it could be another referendum. And if that does happen i imagine the outcome will be significantly different this time around.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join