It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas House panel approves full legalization of marijuana

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 07:59 PM
link   

AUSTIN — In a surprise move that supporters hailed as a historic victory, the Texas House Criminal Jurisprudence Committee approved legislation Wednesday to make it legal to buy and sell marijuana in the state.

Two Republicans joined with the panel's three Democrats in support, giving House Bill 2165 a decisive 5-2 victory.

The proposal, which would make Texas the fifth state in America to OK pot for recreational purposes, has virtually no chance of clearing any other hurdles on the path to becoming law in this year's legislative session.

Still, advocates described the committee vote as a big step toward future success.

"Marijuana policy reform continues to make unprecedented progress this session," Phillip Martin of the liberal group Progress Texas tweeted just after the vote.

The move came just two days after the same panel voted 4-2 in favor of a bill to decriminalize marijuana, marking the first time such a proposal had made it out of a Texas legislative committee.

House Bill 2165, while more of a dramatic change, did even better Wednesday, drawing support from Republicans David Simpson of Longview and Todd Hunter of Corpus Christi. Committee chairman Abel Herrero, D-Robstown, vice chair Joe Moody, D-El Paso and member Terry Canales, D-Edinburg also voted in support.

Link

it's not happening this year but it looks like the Legislature is loosening up toward the idea. Maybe they see the tax revenue that it will most likely create.

New economic opportunity.
edit on 5/6/2015 by roadgravel because: fix link

edit on 5/6/2015 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

New Weed Order

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Uhhhh.....
As a resident of Texas, I can assure you that we will be one of the last states to legalize that plant, not to mention same sex marriage.
Texas is as backward-ass of a state as is North Korea. We're just "smarter" about the financial side.
By smarter I mean CONTROLLED by big OIL and Pharma.

Damn it! Why did I ever leave Colorado!!?

Texans always pissed me off on the Ski slopes, I should have known better.

Yippie ki-yay MF!

PS- Austin was cool 20 years ago. Now it's no different than going on a Cruise to Mexico. It's all about bullship bars and watching your wallet dry up.
edit on 5 6 2015 by tvtexan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I am hoping the taxing potential breaks down some of the phobias. I'm not holding my breathe though.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Yes except that tax revenue comes at the price of driving those who seek to open businesses, to sell said pot, into the ground. As we saw lately with the article and thread reporting Colorado and Washington dispensaries are paying upwards of 75% tax on their gross. This added to the fact the IRS is giving no tax breaks or write offs to these businesses makes me wonder if that model will or even if it can work.
edit on 6-5-2015 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 08:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
I am hoping the taxing potential breaks down some of the phobias. I'm not holding my breathe though.

Can't get high holding your breath.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: tvtexan

This is was my first thought, how could texas be the next state to make this move?!

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

Looks like those businesses need to use some lobbyists to buy some politicians.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 08:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD
Yes except that tax revenue comes at the price of driving those who seek to open businesses, to sell said pot, into the ground. As we saw lately with the article and thread reporting Colorado and Washington dispensaries are paying upwards of 75% tax on their gross. This added to the fact the IRS is giving no tax breaks or write offs to these businesses makes me wonder if that model will or even if it can work.

Who cares!!!
YOU, yes YOU!, can go to Colorado and grow a plant for your own personal use. Who the hell cares if the government taxes those that want to sell it? I don't.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

This is was my first thought, how could texas be the next state to make this move?!

Quite surprising is it not?! As the article notes, this is as far as it will likely go this session. The biggest take away from this news I believe, is that Texas just sent a huge message to Washington and the rest of the nation ... "Times are changing, and if we do not act, we are going to be left behind."

As far as taxes go, the more states to go this route, and the more the business shows promise, the more pressure on the Fed and IRS to lower taxes on the businesses.

As far as the case before the Supreme Court, Obama is likely to tell them the resources are not available to enforce the law in the states that have legalized, so it is best to defer to State's rights, the Court is likely to hold true to Brandis and allow the State's to continue an experiment, but note that they, and bordering states, must have mechanisms in place to reduce interstate outflow.

Next year will likely see 1-3 more states go this route by vote or legislation. 2020 will likely see the issue as a presidential one, and if it is not by then, it will be likely shortly after at the very least, removed from Schedule 1 and allowed to be regulated by State, perhaps by the Feds as well.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: AllSourceIntel

Or it is all a show to make sure they don't alienate everyone.

Like a "Hey look, we are trying to get this done" but no darn well it won't happen.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 08:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

This is was my first thought, how could texas be the next state to make this move?

It's just BS.
I'll tell ya what Texas was first in... Mandating a vaccination that kills our daughters for the profit of pharmaceutical companies. Thank you Rick Perry!

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 08:51 PM
link   

So lemme try to understand...you say they should join in on the corrupt system we all hate because it benefits them?

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Where did you read about the failing businesses?

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 08:56 PM
link   

You would sing a different tune if it was your business that was being unfairly taxed. Do you have some kind of disdain for the proprietors of these types of establishments. Why is it OK for governments to levy unjust taxes upon those they deem to. Even alcohol and tobbaco don't get hit like that...and those things kill people all the time. So I guess when you ask/say who cares... I freaking do cause its wrong and unjust. We fought England over unjust taxes and that was basically what amounts to a 5$ tax on tea...eventually the people will snap. Maybe not over this cause its not effecting a ton of people yet, but if they pull this off why not expand the model. Either way its flat out wrong and I'd love to see a good argument for why it isn't wrong...

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Don't mess with Texas.

Seriously.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

60-80% Tax on Pot related business...

There were more but I figured if I could find em in 2sec on my phone you could too.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Ya I could have, was just wondering really.

That is pretty high, I guess pun intended.

They are able to write the growing operation off though.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 09:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD

So lemme try to understand...you say they should join in on the corrupt system we all hate because it benefits them?

I was joking about how those things are done in our country. And yes, it is sad and corrupt. But it is also the reality of our country.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 09:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Which goes to prove how freaking silly the whole thing is...and it would be laughable if it wasn't for the fact they're actually serious. In my experience a lot of dispensaries buy from local growers but I've been back east for the last 2 years so I don't know what's new these days. The article said something about 70% of the bud has to come from their own groweries but I sure know a lot of private growers selling stock to dispensaries as well...which I wouldn't figure would be a write off. I wish we had some members that worked for these type establishments so we could possibly gleen a better picture of how it really is. I tend to like horses mouth for my info lol.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join