It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Live coverage of substantial tornado outbreak in central Oklahoma right now 5/6/2015

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: EdSurly
a reply to: mtnshredder

Stay safe Shredder!

Yes, you too! I'm in Yukon at the moment watching the TV coverage. These are some serious looking storm walls coming in. What I really don't like is that their saying they may continue to come in tonight, you can't seem them, ugh.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: texasgirl

Thank you. Being safe was the first priority.

When I made the call to drive north I had plenty of warning this time. I grabbed the wife and kids and went to the mother in laws house.

Traffic was slow at spots on the highway. I saw a dog walking the barrier seperating the two sides of I-240 around I-240 and Penn and immediately thought of how odd animals act when nature shows her force.

The biggest issue out here now is the sheer amount of rain falling down causing flash flooding.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Just heard there were about 30 homes hit in the Bridge Creek area. Looking at radar now and the circular movement in the cells are everywhere, one after another. Lots of flooding too.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Wow!

Tornado touched down on the ground at I 240 and Penn!!

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 08:07 PM
link   
It seems when these tornado outbreaks hit the central Oklahoma area we are left largely untouched, at least by tornadoes. I remember very well the monster outbreak of May 3rd 1999 and the tornado that devastated Moore that day. I was leaving work at 4pm that day and was walking through the shop to my pickup. In the shop I hear hail hitting the metal roof, so loud you could barely hear yourself think. Looking south through the widows I could see blue skies and my pickup bathed in sunlight with pea sized hail stones bouncing off the roof and hood. After the hail stopped I walked outside, in the sun, to drive the 68 miles home. Looking up I see the underside of what was to become the supercell that devastated Moore that day. Within 45 minutes it would start dropping tornadoes with it's most significant tornado being the F5 that destroyed Bridge Creek and continued into Moore and devastated that community.

On my way home I drove past a forming, rotating wall cloud south of Roosevelt Oklahoma, by the time I was north of Roosevelt the radio was warning of a tornado on the ground south of Roosevelt, I just missed that one before it made ground contact. After I got home most of the storms had passed us but on the television I saw the devastation of Moore. Something I'll never forget. My state had 74 tornadoes that day, it was epic.

Then Moore got nailed again two years ago. Not realizing what would happen with that particular storm at the time, I snapped these panoramic pictures of the supercell that would spawn that devastating tornado on May 20th, 2013. Here they are;

And a little while later I snapped this picture of the storm much more defined. (if someone knows how to get exif (sp) data you could probably tell what time the picture was taken as I forget) I do know it was around 3pm or so.

Both pictures are looking to the SSE, the cell is probably over Henrietta, TX at that point. I think the pictures are about 30 minutes, maybe an hour apart. The storm didn't move much, it was just spawning and growing ever larger at that point. I had just gotten my new Nokia 928 and wanted to use the new "panorama" camera mode. I think they came out pretty well, although you can see some mismatching of the frames when they were "stitched" back together.

This, as I said, is the supercell that devastated Moore on May 20, 2013. It was beautiful.

edit on 6-5-2015 by EdSurly because: (no reason given)

direct link to the photos; files.abovetopsecret.com...

files.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: KewlDaddyFatty

Keep your head down buddy!

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: EdSurly

I'm back home in Moore.

Sirens have gone off twice in the past ten minutes.

These storms aren't letting up. Traffic is at a standstill on 35.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 08:50 PM
link   
a reply to: KewlDaddyFatty

Saying tornado on the ground between Eastern and Highland on I-35. Cars flipped in reports....as of 8:49pm and these storms just aren't moving. Dumping huge amounts of rain, which we need, but a third of our yearly average in one night isn't a good thing!

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I gotta give major props to the meteorologist at KWTV 9 in OKC, this guy has been on constantly since just after 4pm and he's still going strong. Keeping on top of these dozen or so tornadoes that have spawned this afternoon and evening. Gary England is an iconic weatherman in this state and indeed the nation, but David Payne has done an awesome job today! Props to him.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 08:58 PM
link   
F2 (not confirmed strength) tornado hitting Midwest City, I-35, cars flipped on Interstate, I-240 is flooded. Also tornado touched down at Will Rodgers Airport runway 1/2 hr ago. 3" of rain in 1 hr reported 7" in the last few hrs. It's a very slowing moving storm, not good.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Tornado SW of Wichita Falls, TX right now...warning for Archer, Haskell, Throckmorton and WIchita counties in Texas. Those counties are just south of us..hopefully they dissipate before crossing the Red River! Hope our ATS folks in north Texas are in their "fraidy" holes!

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Not a drop of rain S of Norman or Edmond, that's strange.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: mtnshredder

Yea, those storms south of Wichita Falls are still there....after 20 minutes they just haven't moved, like the storms in OKC. These storm cells have just stopped moving and are dumping a metric # ton of rain. The radar is showing 8-9" of rain between Archer City and Wichita Falls since yesterday. It's nuts! And in OKC those rain totals are going to be north of 10" aren't they Shredder?

I've been telling people it would take a flood to break this multi-year drought we've been in, but I didn't really think it would happen. Although right where I'm at in Lawton we have missed most of the rain and storms. And as slow as the storms are moving, I don't think the storms south of the Red will make it to us.

Initially I was wondering if Springer was in his storm cellar, but now I'm wondering if he's sitting in his living room wearing his hip waders! I'm sure he lives in Moore doesn't he?

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Is he the guy that you can instantly tell how bad the tornados are by how he's dressed? I heard there's a weather guy who's clothing gets progressively more and more disheveled as the weather gets worse (tie loose, shirt unbuttoned).

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Well if all this isn't chaotic enough. Just heard a report that a Tiger sanctuary got hit and there are Tigers on the loose.

Hopefully Springers bunkered down and ok. Yes, he is in the SW side of town.

The rain is INSANE!!!
edit on 6-5-2015 by mtnshredder because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-5-2015 by mtnshredder because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 09:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: mtnshredder
Well if all this isn't chaotic enough. Just heard a report that a Tiger sanctuary got hit and there are Tigers on the loose.

Wow, had to read that twice, sounds like a movie, a bad one, like "sharknado".......

Good luck you guys, from an outsiders perspective it sure seems like this gets worse each year. I probably just spend too much time on ATS............

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: GoShredAK

Yep, does sound like a movie doesn't it. Keep the pets inside. They also said there are other wild animals that got out but didn't say what they were.

Also possible drowning, haven't heard confirmation of that though.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: mtnshredder

Hopefully Springers bunkered down and ok. Yes, he is in the SW side of town.

The rain is INSANE!!!

Yea, I just heard that on News 9, place called "Tiger Safari", Sherrif is telling folks to "stay inside" because "exotic" animals are on the loose! I hate to admit it, but I'm lol'ing....it does sound like a bad B movie plot. Sharknado hell, we got a TIGERFLOOD!

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

Is he the guy that you can instantly tell how bad the tornados are by how he's dressed? I heard there's a weather guy who's clothing gets progressively more and more disheveled as the weather gets worse (tie loose, shirt unbuttoned).

Yes, that would be Gary England. He is an iconic figure here.....

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 10:45 PM
link   

My fiance is from OKC...her mother just got out of the shelter a bit ago. We have the Weather Channel on...

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join