It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Live coverage of substantial tornado outbreak in central Oklahoma right now 5/6/2015

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Central Oklahoma, as of 4:47pm the tornadic storm is just SW of OKC and.....Moore. Follow the link for live storm chaser video and also live coverage from the weather team at Channel 9 in OKC.

www.news9.com...

Two links, one for the weatherman and another for the live storm chasers.

Multiple tornadoes and one is getting quite large at the moment. Hope beyond hope it misses the metroplex and of course Moore.

This particular storm in on track to hit Bridgecreek, Newcastle then Moore and eventually Norman.
edit on 6-5-2015 by EdSurly because: (no reason given)

* Update; Tornado is on track to hit Moore (South Moore HS) by 5:49

* This tornadic storm is weird as it is very slow moving....that's not unheard of but it is a bit odd. Saying major damage in Bridge Creek.

5:27pm *The storm they have been tracking is weakening dramatically, but now a new circulation has formed south of Newcastle

5:35pm Tornado on the ground headed to Max Westheimer airport on the south side of Moore, heading into western Norman. Not a very populated area but if it makes it into Norman it will be bad. Don't know the windspeed yet but their saying it is a large tornado.

5:45 pm NO tornado on the ground in Norman. But the tornado warning is still in effect. OU students have been told to seek shelter.

5:56pm On the ground in Norman now, seeing large power flashes as the tornado goes through norman right on top of I35

6:48pm The previous tornadoes have dissipated for the time being but more have built up to the SW of the metroplex, tornadic storms north of Anadarko in SW Oklahoma, Newcastle just SW of OKC, and tornado on the ground in NW Oklahoma on top of Fairview. The storms are continuing to build in SW Oklahoma and northern west Texas streaming to the NE. Stay safe everyone!

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Wish them the best of luck... Moore doesn't need another big un.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Okies are a rare breed. I don't think I could live where my tornado plan was "get in my car and drive away from the storm and hope it misses me." I know they can't have basements because of the ground, but man that's tough, and it's rush hour, too.

Be safe OKC folks.

Even worse. Weather Channel is reporting gridlock on the highways.
edit on 6-5-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: EdSurly

160 mph sheer within the vortex, so possible F3 crossing I44 SW of Bridge Creek and Newcastle. It seems to be gaining strength, it is tracking towards the southern metroplex which is where Moore is located.

Keep your head down and your eyes up Springer!

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I had no idea. Why they can't have basements?

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

I had no idea. Why they can't have basements?

It's the type of ground, the clay. It doesn't support them. They can put in small storm shelter pods that are enclosed molded pods that get buried underground, but basements don't work they just collapse.

Some places I think they can, but the red clay doesn't.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

Many do have tornado shelters...

Looks like I'll be staying up... In case the renters have issues.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   

We don't have many "basements" per se in our homes but "fraidy holes" aka underground storm shelters are a dime a dozen, especially since the monster in May of 1999. Many homes in OKC metro that didn't have them before that date have at least a small low cost underground shelter that will fit 3 or 4 people in single file located in the garage. Storm shelters have always been a part of living in this state, some of our earliest memories are of running to the storm shelter (sometimes located in the back yard) in the middle of the night.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 05:08 PM
link   

You would think new construction might include reinforced concrete walls that could withstand an F5.
Probably expensive though and you would likely still need a new roof.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I talked to my sister in Norman and she's terrified. She hates storms and yet won't move out of Oklahoma. They're getting ready to head into their storm shelter now.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Cauliflower

Nah, you just dig a hole and make an underground shelter....underground is the only F5 proof shelter there is. At least as far as I'm concerned. And as for basements, I don't think the soil type really has anything to do with it. I have been in homes with full size basements in many parts of the state, I think it has more to do with the fact that there isn't any need for them to protect our water lines in the winter and they are expensive. Besides, a full size basement isn't where I would want to be in a storm, I want to be in a cement storm shelter away from the house. If the house were to take a direct hit, you will be buried under tons of rubble if you're in a basement.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 05:15 PM
link   
geez.....these guys cover this like white on rice!.....I live in California, and I am kinda jacked up just from watching these channel 9 people

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cauliflower

You would think new construction might include reinforced concrete walls that could withstand an F5.

Probably expensive though and you would likely still need a new roof.

An F5 tornado wipes houses off their foundation. Concrete walls won't help, unfortunately.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

lol, yea this is a state sport here. Tornado watching and tuning in to the local weather stations. Watching the Weather Channel out of the other eye and those guys are a joke in comparison. But that's to be expected, our meteorologists have lots of practice!

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I've been in that situation keep safe and don't do something stupid like try to film the tornado.

Good luck here's a song for all the Okies .

There is one thing I'll say about tornadoes. God hates mobile home parks!!!
edit on 6-5-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 05:24 PM
link   
living (kinda) in houston now. but okc born and raised. we love the storms. gl to all involved

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: EdSurly

lol, yea this is a state sport here. Tornado watching and tuning in to the local weather stations. Watching the Weather Channel out of the other eye and those guys are a joke in comparison. But that's to be expected, our meteorologists have lots of practice!

it's like you know there are guys sitting on their couch, drinking beer, scratching the old gonads, and watching this as if it's their own personal marvel comics ultron movie

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   

One of those pod shelters?

I wouldn't live there without one. When we moved into our home, we told the realtor it would have two things - a basement and a kitchen, even if it was only a basement kitchen.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

Oh, you know that's true. The one that hit our town when I was growing up? Hit 'em both and hopped over everything in between. Oh! It hit the manufactured home factory too.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 05:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx

originally posted by: EdSurly

it's like you know there are guys sitting on their couch, drinking beer, scratching the old gonads, and watching this as if it's their own personal marvel comics ultron movie

I can vouch for the fact that there are people doing exactly that in south OKC waiting for the tornado to get within viewing distance. Beer in hand waiting to run outside and get some footage of it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join