It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Gravity Actually the Weakest Force?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Arbitrageur
a reply to: Entreri06
You're welcome. Yes almost everything in the universe seems to be moving, but there may be one exception, sort of....the Cosmic Microwave Background, which is the remnants of the big bang. You could arbitrarily set that as a reference frame of the entire universe and measure all motions against that, which we have done for the Earth and Milky way. Its composed of photons which are all moving at the speed of light, so it's not stationary from that perspective, but since its reference frame is the universe, it's hard to say it's moving relative to something else, as a collective. There's no larger reference frame we know of to compare it to.

Nope!! I'm pretty sure the cosmic microwave background is still rushing outward as well. Just looks stationary because we are in it's center.... (Wouldn't be surprised if I'm wrong) :p

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Ever hear of the Copernican Principle?

posted on May, 14 2015 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arbitrageur
Ever hear of the Copernican Principle?

Didn't mean the earth/sun was at the center, ment the universe is at the center. I'm assuming that the cosmic micro background is so far ahead of the earliest/ farthest out stars that it looks stationary.

Imagaine a basketball in the center of a hot air balloon. With both expanding. From the basketballs POV , everyone inside the basketball thinks the hot air ballon is stationary. Because both are expanding AND the basketball is so much smaller. Which it prob would be because of the millions of years between the POP of the Big Bang and the first stars/galaxies form to give off the light we see today.

<< 1   >>

join