It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2 Large whales beached in Pacifica, CA within a month.....is that odd?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Seems the latest was a humpback whale. I would assume that at 32 feet it was young as well, based on their normal growth range and that it was a female.

Source

A beached humpback whale was discovered south of San Francisco, marking the second dead whale to wash ashore in less than three weeks.

The 32-foot female whale is within sight of the carcass of a sperm whale that was discovered dead in mid-April. This is the third dead whale found in the San Francisco Bay Area this year.

Marine Mammal Center spokeswoman Laura Sherr said Sue Pemberton from the California Academy of Sciences is at the beach to assess whether they would be able to examine the animal. Sherr says the carcass is in the waves so it is unlikely that a team would be able to safely perform a necropsy Tuesday.

Officials say the whale was spotted four or five days ago floating in the surf.

Last month, a 50-foot sperm whale washed ashore at Mori Point on the south end of Sharp Park State Beach in Pacifica.

The other, as noted, was a 50 foot sperm whale.

Do these beachings happen to these creatures that often in this area?

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   
People probably assumed it was just 2 Americans sunbathing and left them to it.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Maybe the recent seismic and volcanic activity has something to do with it?

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

I don't think it's common, but it's certainly not unheard of. With there having only been two (so far), it's much more likely just a coincidence. If it happens to a couple more, though, I think we should definitely start digging for info.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: scojak

I don't think it's common, but it's certainly not unheard of. With there having only been two (so far), it's much more likely just a coincidence. If it happens to a couple more, though, I think we should definitely start digging for info.

Well, according to the article that is the 3rd at this beach this year, just the last 2 were within a month of each other.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I'd watch for more and other unusual animal activity. There has been some seismic activity in the area.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
I'd watch for more and other unusual animal activity. There has been some seismic activity in the area.

I could see how volcanic activity would affect them in a really bad way as far as overheating the waters, but how would seismic activity affect a whale? I can't imagine there would be enough force from a underwater quake to create a shockwave bubble that would kill them.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   

You got me - acidity spike, confusion caused by a gas release ...

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   
enenews.com... ed-lesions-missing-testicles-eyeballs-skin-disintegrating-pe

an interesting article imo. shouldn't be ruled out.
f.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: fakedirt

That's in areas around Japan though. It might explain the humpback, but I'm not sure it explains the sperm whale. There are sperm whales in Japanese waters, but they are more southern, and they may not be the same population as the ones in the Cali area.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Nope, we see beached whales by the poolside in Spain every day in Summer, usually red ones.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I hope I am wrong. I wouldn't rule out this or underwater volcanic activity or the mystery blob, el nino/ninette, acidification etc.

time will tell. northern ice pack now is ongoing summer mode with melting presents possible contaminants to the sea surface.

f.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Fukashima is the big blue whale in the room.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Starvation is a good possibility..I think Sperm whales eat mostly squid, Humpbacks are baleen feeders(Krill, small fish). It does not take much to upset the balance and have foodstock relocate.
Bummer story.
edit on 6-5-2015 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-5-2015 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 01:50 AM
link   
I'm no marine biologist, but I bet someone will organize am autopsy or at least take samples. Since it's the second whale in a month i think they'll report some of their findings. Don't know how thorough it'll be.

My speculative thoughts are the whale died from bioaccumulation of toxins- similar to what's killing the orca pods in Puget Sound.

Or, since sea creatures live through sound, the seismic wave from the earthquakes and undersea volcanic eruption off of Oregon was too much for this young creature.

posted on May, 7 2015 @ 02:01 AM
link   
a reply to: HUMBLEONE

YUP! Beat me to it... There was a thread about the 2nd Anniversary of Fukushima and how it appears to wreaking untold havoc throughout the Pacific up and down food chains and concerning population replacement. Ban on sardines in effect I believe...

top topics

join