It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Ebner effect and it's ramifications on the theory of evolution

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2015 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Ziplock, I think you have missed the point. Yes DNA can be changed very quickly due to it being damaged by external forces, but this wouldn't be passed on to the next generation, would it? And the Ebner effect doesn't supposedly change the DNA anyway, just expression of the genes.

Any further thoughts ATS?

I'm really interested to hear from some proponents of standard evolutionary theory. Say, for arguments sake, in the past the ESF of the Earth was very different to what it is now. Could a drastic change in ESF account for the vast changes in morphology, the "explosions" of new forms etc. And what would that mean for evolution? Would it infer that selection isn't the driving force of changes in morphology, but actually external factors are? Could an embryo be somewhat of a "blank slate" that can pick up external cues to know in which direction to grow to become the most suited organism for that future environment?

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Dem0nc1eaner

With that in mind, I think we are wrong about evolution. I don't think genes are selected due to environmental factors. I think genes are expressed due to environmental factors.
I'm of a similar mind. Darwin had an amazing discovery in Micro evolution, but (as humans are prone to do) kept on postulating past the need to. Macro evolution can be explained by micro. Just as humans who went north developed white skin and those who went south developed white skin, so too will animals placed in two vastly differing climes will change drastically (the difference being, animals adapt directly to their environment, changing their bodies as needed, whereas humans change their mindset and solve the problem(too cold? Insulated houses! Too hot? Fans, and later, Air conditioning!) But that's a whole other topic). Change over time(due to circumstances) is absolutely necessary to any form if life. As for the expressing of genes, I think you are right on the money. DNA is absolutely amazing for many reasons, one of them being its infinite adaptability. This theory would also explain Darwins missing fossil record. If animals adapt only as needed(maximum efficiency?) then there would be no animals that got left out of 'natural selection' due to an unsuccesful mutation.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join