It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do people actually mean when they talk about "MY COUNTRY"

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I see and hear it more and more especially with major elections coming up but what do people actually mean by this?

"I don't want any more immigrants coming into MY COUNTRY"

"This is not how I want MY COUNRTY to be"

"I do not want this form of religion in MY COUNTRY"

Ect...

If this were say the Queen of England I could understand but what makes folks think it somehow belongs to us?

Are countries not simply predefined areas seperated by either water or imaginary lines on paper maps on what is in simple terms just a rock hurtling through space?

Maybe it's just me but I am not that disallousioned to think I have any real sense of ownership of the little bit I happen to have been born on.
edit on 4/5/2015 by nonspecific because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I call out for the invasion of nonspecific country...

ATS is being really thematic this days

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent
I call out for the invasion of nonspecific country...

ATS is being really thematic this days

Invade away, It's not mine.

Maybe things will improve with your dictatorship and I will be happy, if not I'll move somewhere else.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I suggest you go live in North Korea a little while and come back to ask us what defines a country.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrMaybeNot
I suggest you go live in North Korea a little while and come back to ask us what defines a country.

Could you expand on that a little please, Not sure I understand what you mean?

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   
National pride, it used to be something of substance, but now a fading light in the darkness of oblivion....

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: teslahowitzer
National pride, it used to be something of substance, but now a fading light in the darkness of oblivion....

So would you say that loss of national pride is a bad thing or that is the first step in the next phase of human evolution.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

I'm saying that what differentiates countries to me is the set of laws that governs it. Other than that it's just another place on our big rock in infinite space.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

I use the phrase but not in the context of ownership, rather, "The country in which I live". I would be more likely to say, "I want my country to be a land of many cultures", "I want freedom of religion in my country".

It's not that it belongs to us, but that it's where we live and have our being. "My husband" doesn't belong to me, yet I use that phrase.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrMaybeNot

I'm saying that what differentiates countries to me is the set of laws that governs it. Other than that it's just another place on our big rock in infinite space.

I understand what you are saying but I doubt the people of North Korea have any delusions regarding it being there country.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   
All of Earth is ours. Those who put a claim on a piece of land as being theirs alone are ignorant. The Earth was given to all of us freely, it is those who want to control you that want to claim it as theirs and theirs alone.

Countries and borders are there to divide what is already ours and consolidate it into as few hands as possible in the name of control and power.
edit on 5/4/2015 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I was born into the USA
I plan to serve the USA
I pay taxes to the USA

Etc...

The USA provides me with protection
The USA Harbours All of my Family
The USA gives me rights

Etc..

This is MY COUNTRY

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: frostie

Patriotism is a plague, it justifies war and genocide. It's a tool of division, I wish people could see this.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

originally posted by: nonspecific

I use the phrase but not in the context of ownership, rather, "The country in which I live". I would be more likely to say, "I want my country to be a land of many cultures", "I want freedom of religion in my country".

It's not that it belongs to us, but that it's where we live and have our being. "My husband" doesn't belong to me, yet I use that phrase.

So are you saying that although you use the term "MY" you do not fel that you have any sense of ownership simply because you happened to be born within it's borders?

Do you feel that any other human bean has less rights to occupy the same space as they were born outside of a line?

I'm not baiting by the way I really don't get the concept and think I may be in the minority so am genuinley curious.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: frostie
I was born into the USA
I plan to serve the USA
I pay taxes to the USA

Etc...

The USA provides me with protection
The USA Harbours All of my Family
The USA gives me rights

Etc..

This is MY COUNTRY

Any particular part or is all of it yours?

Maybe the part you may have borrowed money from the bank to be given the illusion of ownership is yours but not all of it surley?

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

I have no Desire to Kill or Harm.

I just have respect.

I wish people could see this.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Its a Shared Ownership. With around 350M people...

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Patriotism is a plague, it justifies war and genocide. It's a tool of division, I wish people could see this.

They are too caught up in who is the best, to understand this, nevermind seeing that!

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   

So do you actually think that you are an actual part owner of the USA?

I live in the UK so it may be different but I'm not sure that is the reality of the situation.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Some people actually remember the history of America prior to 9/11. And have great pride for what it was, they don't throw their hands up in the air and cry whine and attack it. Many people can also recognize the good it once stood for and could again after this blot on our history is over.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join