It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brain scans reveal out-of-body illusion

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 04:36 AM
link   
This reminds me of some guy called Donald Marshall, who talked about that "They" pulled his consciousness/soul out of his body and put it in a clone of a clonefarm. There the secret high society cult (including celebrities, queen of england and others) arrange gladiator fights etc. until the death of the clone, and also some other... uhm... things. Aliens included.

I thought he is permanently on drugs, an attention whore, claiming b.s. all the time, but now not sure anymore when reading THAT article. So what if they guys in the article really pulled out the consciousness... is it all true then? Naaaw, come on... that would be crazy.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 05:42 AM
link   
That why i say they should use stronger magnet. Strongest possible and then probably person which signed for this experience will die or maybe no?

Thats what they should do. ok it would not be ethic if a guy dies, but how can we know?

Claiming that they place some electrodes on his head and then watched brain activity is boring. It reminds of when they say earth was flat because you cant see the end of it. And they call it illusion. Who are they to say what is illusion and what is real?

I wonder wen we have ability to travel inside black hole, will they say it is illusion or will they say really what it is?

Word illusion is:
something that deceives by producing a false or misleading impression of reality.
the state or condition of being deceived; misapprehension.
an instance of being deceived.
Psychology. a perception, as of visual stimuli (optical illusion) that represents what is perceived in a way different from the way it is in reality.
a very thin, delicate tulle of silk or nylon having a cobwebbed appearance, for trimmings, veilings, and the like.
Obsolete. the act of deceiving; deception; delusion.

When a magician do a trick, that is illusion, but boldly going in uncharted space is sure not illusion. Since nobody can say what is real and what is not.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 07:11 AM
link   
a reply to: CIAGypsy

It would be really ironic if the researches were actually causing consciousness to leave the body through magnetic waves.

I mean, why are they assuming that the sensation is "just an illusion"?

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 07:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
The location of self awareness, the "soul", has been discovered!

Soul is a very physical thing and located throughout the human body.
BTW op good thread.
But an actual obe where you can smell, touch and feel other sensations, is certainly no illusion.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 07:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Nochzwei
That the soul is physical, and OOBE's are actually out of body has always been assumed to be the case. There is no evidence that would indicate this is true, except personal experience.

If science can at least show the experiences can be duplicated, that goes a long way toward showing the perception of leaving our body during an OOBE may be incorrect. That does not necessarily negate a persons experiences during an OBE, or even an NDE. It simply challenges the assumptions that have been made for centuries.

I am not saying because science can duplicate an experience, that's the way it is. I'm saying it gives us a different perspective to view those experiences from. Our perception, and reality, are often at odds with one another.

edit on 5/4/2015 by Klassified because: clarity

edit on 5/4/2015 by Klassified because: grammar

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Can the strongest magnet on Earth pull the iron out of our blood? Honestly I would be less worried about losing my soul to a magnet of that power and more concerned with the flying projectiles that will be hurtling your direction from as far as 15 meters at a very high rate of force. Children have literally had their hands crushed to dust from handling super powered neodymium magnets and other have been impaled and killed from the ferrous object hurting at them with great force.

I wonder if that is what you meant by having your soul sucked out and die?

Only time I have ever been in an MRI machine was after a car accident. I like the sounds of the machine, they relaxed me. For the record, as long as we are standing in the middle of an open field with no ferrous objects on our persons or within thirty meters, I would like to volunteer to see if my soul gets sucked out by a magnet.

You are going to have to pay for the magnets though.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   
None of what they're studying proves anything, and findings are still related to their expectation of outcomes. Some of us would suggest that those who leave their bodies are still connected to their minds, and there would still be a function occurring in the brain.

But there is a whole other issue, in that some people feel that this is the other side of the mirror, and the inner journey is the literal way back home. Infinity within, and the universe is the workings of our soul body/orb, though tend to see it as a shared dvd that we all insert.

Its pretty hard to name the outcome when you can't name what you're in.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Everything is energy. This is no illusion. Stimulating the brain may cause the same effects as an OBE. Explain how people can look down on there bodies during an OBE. The eastern traditions all state that we are Atman (permanent souls) in a flesh container. Everyone needs to read the book Life After Life By Raymond Moody. It will totally change your view on "reality". This is the matrix.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: ThichHeaded

Except there has never been any credible evidence for this ever happening.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: ThichHeaded

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: saadad

Why are they calling it illusion? How can they know it is illusion? What if it is real OOBE? What if you can pull someone out with strong magnet?

Maybe you should read the article.
Nothing was done with a strong magnet. And the creation of the illusion is quite clearly explained.

I like how they call this an illusion and all but it still in some cases where NDE'd can see and recall things that happened after they were dead.. in different areas to where their carcass was laying..

So are they going to 'illusion' that also?

The definition of "dead" may need to be revised (especially if the person was later "alive" enough again to be able to describe the experience). Even when our newest technology seems to indicate brain death -- i.e., no detectable brain activity -- there still may be some brain activity that today's science has yet to be able to detect.

That brain activity could lead to the "dead" patient not really being dead after all, and just having dream-type experiences. I'm not going to call them dreams because they may be different, but that doesn't mean that the brain may not still be having some illusionary/dream-like activity deep deep down in the brain that is at some low-level that our equipment is not able to detect.

edit on 5/4/2015 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Thanks for posting this, CIAGypsy. I read about this study sometime last week and it really fascinated me. It’s one of the more interesting pieces of research I’ve read about lately, and it struck me as being somewhat profound. and revealing in it’s implications. Maybe I’m overstating it a bit, and just putting my admitted ignorance on display here, but to me that study made a bold statement about our questionable grip on “reality” and the role we play in it.

We humans have been struggling to understand and define the essence of consciousness, the mind and brain, sentience vs perception, our concept of self, etc., etc., etc. and how it all relates since we became aware beings. The greatest minds in all of history have debated it endlessly, attempted to quantify it, and come to grips with it in some understandable fashion. And yet, it’s as much a mystery now as it’s ever been. Well, maybe almost. I think in the last 20 or so years we’ve made a lot of progress, and we’re finally beginning to see a tiny glimmer at the end of the tunnel.

What impressed me most about the study this OP refers to was how quickly the brain took ownership over the perceived other body across the room in order to reconcile the illusory sensory data being fed into it. Maybe the sense of self is not on sacred ground, after all, and it’s just our adultrous, internal GPS lover, ready to cheat at the drop of a switch. Most notably for an AI developer, perhaps self-awareness will naturally emerge as the result of increasingly complex sensory processing.

This reminded me of another study done recently that tried to shed some light on how to model conscious states on various levels. I don’t recall where I read it, but one of the clues it seemed to reveal involved how our brain might form an overall conscious perception from all the sensory information continually bombarding it from the surrounding environment. They monitored the various functional areas within the brain where specific types of sensory information is processed. They were using some pretty complex imaging techniques to capture a comprehensive image of all these functional areas working in tandem. The result was really amazing. It revealed more brain/neural interconnectivity than was expected, but still pretty much followed a standard networking scheme. It showed that each specific functional brain component was physically connected to, and communicating with, all other functional areas simultaneously, even when they seemed unrelated. Being consciously aware involved integrating the (filtered) data from all the functional brain components to create the big picture. Sight alone, or sound alone, or any other sense alone isn’t adequate to produce full conscious awareness, but when combined the big puzzle (perception) emerges.

This thread brought of some poetic lyrics to mind written by a band called the Moody Blues. One of their songs started out with the words:

Cold-hearted Orb that rules the night,
Remove the colors from our sight.
Red is grey, and yellow white.
But we decide which is right,
And which is an illusion...

I thought the study mentioned by the OP was very revealing, and the point of it wasn’t to disprove OOBE's. The study was to help clarify/understand the concept of self and the nature of it’s functioning. They (MSM) could have, should have, explained the study without mentioning the OOBE phenomena, but figured it would be more sensational if they did. At least that’s my take on it...

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   
This could explain my clumsiness. Perhaps I am actually just about an inch or so further over to left than I think I am.

Interesting stuff, thanks OP

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   

I couldn't help but chuckle when I read this article. Neuroscientists have known for several decades that an individual's 'sense of presence' can be tricked through magnetic manipulation of the brain. Dr. Michael Persinger was quite famous for these studies. I have worked with Dr. Persinger's 'God Helmet' in relation to other types of neurological research.

But this experiment has nothing to do with Dr. Michael Persinger's work. no one was having anything zapped with magnetic fields. Did you understand what the experiment was trying to do?

edit on 4-5-2015 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Good to see you back CIAGypsy, been a while!

The "God Helmet" is a neat peace of gear, isn't it? It really makes you wonder...

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 07:11 PM
link   
This is what happened to me, and SPOILER ALERT if you want to see the old movie "Carrie".

I was at the film with two friends, sitting in the third or fourth row. As the film ended their was soft nice music, a really relaxing scene of one of the characters walking through a graveyard, and they made it so aesthetic I leaned over on the chair in front of me and put my head on my crossed arms, watching and listening to it. Suddenly Carrie's hand reaches up through the soil and grabs the person, with accompanying drastic-change-scary music. At that point I found "myself" in the back of the theater, looking at the screen as well as at the three of us in the seats, seeing myself with my head resting on my arms as I stretched over the seat in front. Realizing where I was I instantly popped right back into "my head", the entire event took less than a second. How is that explained by the research mentioned in the OP of this thread, or other physical explanation? Thanks.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 08:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

originally posted by: VoidHawk
I saw something quite a few years ago on the BBC's Horizon program, they messed with a guys head using magnets and he swore his legs were getting longer, much longer!

No need for L-S-D anymore, just go score some magnets

Okay Walter.

lol

One of my favorite shows

Rebel 5

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

I have had out of body experiences many times, by choice as well.

You should try focusing on doing it again lol.

And check out this thingy which I just tried which really shortens the length of time needed to activate ones "senses".

www.lucialightexperience.com...

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 10:50 PM
link   
a reply to: ParasuvO

I sent a request for a brochure. Unfortunately I get the feeling this thing may cost into the thousands of dollars if they make you request a brochure without a price online.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 01:23 AM
link   

I agree. Magnetic field stimulation is extremely dangerous to your health. I know this for a fact. (Not on myself).

Somwhere between 15 and 20 years ago I did some IT work for a doctor that had a whole lab setup based on magnetic field stimulation that was used to show how it could influence the body to heal and repair itself. Long story short, his best example of treatment produced a stroke in someone I knew. I cant say that the MFS caused it, but I can say that I never saw any positive documented results As a result of it.

Needless to say that I was offered free services, but I politely declined every time.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 01:47 AM
link   
a reply to: smirkley

Yeah...that would be one of those times you'd smile and just tip-toe away.

I like my eggs, not my brain scrambled.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join