It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I've got to buy a new phone.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Because my old phone just "bought it." It just won't accept a charge now. Most people look forward to a new phone like some look forward to a new car. Not me. I don't like change and this one has been good for 4.5 years. Not looking forward to a new device.

edit on 3-5-2015 by intrepid because: Becauase buying and buting are different things.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Well if you make the leap to the smartphone, get a Samsung IMO.
Shoot I think they make a pretty good phone in general.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

The one that just died was a Samsung. 4.5 years? That's pretty damn good.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

I assumed you still had a Nokia flip phone lol.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   

I had a phone like that once... one that I loved.

When it died I found that you can usually buy a new one of the same model on Amazon or eBay. Depending on which carrier you use, you may be able to purchase the same phone from one of those places and have it activated and keep on keeping on.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Well then, guess you don't need much of a sell on them!

Think you need to buy not but a phone btw

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Im going to be in the same unenvious situation before long. I have no idea what im going to get next, while i intent to use the one i have till it no longer connects to the newer phone network technology or simply breaks, i know nothing lasts for ever, especially electronic gadgets.

I am using a HTC desire-z (called the g2 in USA i think) which is a smartphone running an early version of android, reasonably straight forward to use operational wise, but the main reason i like it, while it has a full touch screen it also has a flip out proper qwerty keyboard with ACTUAL buttons. Touch screens are ok for navigating menus but thyey drive me crazy writing texts and emails etc. Just much prefer the feel of a good old tactile clicky botton.

Sadly all new phones currently in the market all have touch screens only, so my next upgrade will be a sad one, almost certinly.

I share you pain here, after nearly 5 years myself with my pocket buddy ive had it longer than my glasses or wallet. Sure there are many like it, but this phone is mine.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   

How about going for one that Does exactly what a phone was intended for?

Call & receive calls.

Everything else? Bells/whistles/icing/marketing. Never thought I'd see the time when phones were fashion/status accessories.

But wait! What about the ability to be tracked/traced/recorded/monitored...can't give that all that up right? Get the latest fashion and all you have to give up is your privacy.

And all anyone has to do is pay the corporations for the privilege of being spied on.

Guess who's winning?

Jude

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I have never had had an LG phone give me any problems at all... My Samsung now I HATE it is a P.O.S. thru and thru.. it is ok at everything but being a phone... total crap shoot if it will make or accept a phone call. I still have an old LG OptimusM the 1st android at Metro PCS in my area, and that thing got passed down to both of my rowdy boys, from when they were destructive little demons and the phone still functions as new today... That is my advice

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Because my old phone just "bought it." It just won't accept a charge now. Most people look forward to a new phone like some look forward to a new car. Not me. I don't like change and this one has been good for 4.5 years. Not looking forward to a new device.

Is this some kind of fetish? if so, why not but the old phone instead!

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Can you not just get a new battery from ebay or some electronics store?

I used and old nokia for years that liked for it's simplicity and the stares it drew from folk with the latest kit, i do sympathise

I was gutted when i lost it, but was the wife gave me her old Blackberry which still gets stares of incredulity and is regarded by some as something of a relic, so i'm still being at least a little contrary.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Look at ther battery connections, there's three of them, clean them with something mildly abrasive. If the phone gives a message when the charge lead is connected then its likely the middle connection that needs a clean.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   

If you are not used to smartphones, go for an iPhone... it's pretty easy to use, pretty stable and very reliable.

Don't know why nobody mentioned an iPhone, but it's fairly a good choice.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Lucky for you I work in the industry, U2U me and I'll give you any Information on phones you want the best choice for you, and anything you want to compare or know.

Change is not always fun to cope with but is necessary.

Don't be shy, take care

edit on 2-5-2015 by Elementalist because: typo on my phone

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Please please please PLEASE, by all means.....encrypt the hard drive of your new phone before you begin using it.

edit on 2-5-2015 by CIAGypsy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Our Land line phone is over 20 years old and we don't even have to charge it for it to work:-)
Now That's Really damn good! Plus we expect another 20 years service out of it yet.
Sorry I just had to post that.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Not looking forward to a new device.

Careful what you choose . Some phones carry cellphoneitis a nasty disease that requires you to check your facebook status at stoplights and text while driving . Although the young are more likely to catch this studies have shown that it can infect older people as well . Crashing ones car or getting ticketed have been known to cure this insidious disease but as of now there is no cure that is 100% effective .
edit on 2-5-2015 by hutch622 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I'm in the same boat... have an old blackberry that is losing its juice. Loved it because of the keyboard and virtual indestructability. Keep going into the phone store and leaving empty handed. Let us know what you pick in the end, eh?

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 09:57 PM
link   
a reply to: igloo

I had a sunset orange blackberry curve back in the day that I loved like no other phone. I still have it in a drawer even though I know it's broken. If I could get my carrier to activate one just like it and I could find a new one online I would have another one of those tomorrow.

I loved it. Better than any android or iPhone I've ever had since.

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Well I settled on:

It's going to take me weeks to figure out how to work it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join