It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Evening in Small Town America

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Tonight was the beginning of the annual monthly festival in Marion, Indiana called First Friday, the first Friday from May to September. It is a time celebrated by the city and encourages vendors and citizens to enjoy the many services that Marion has to offer.

This evening was kicked off by Mayor Wayne Sebold giving a speech about the city's new proclamation of cultural acceptance and denouncing racism and prejudism. It seemed like a good speech, if someone else were giving it. The mayor stumbled over many words for certain ethnic groups, he actually said "the city opposes....anti-semimunitisum...." While I appreciate the city attempting to move foreward in addressing racism, I feel that it was a declaration that the city does not want rioting in Marion. Good idea, I don't want rioting here either. The problem, the very people he intended this message for was not even present in the location where he was speaking.

Yet, there were absolutely no hints of any type of racism or violence. Everyone in Marion felt safe while they were there, unfortunately it was held at the most patrolled part of town. Had this been elsewhere in Marion, the results might not have been the same. Marion suffers a very high violent crime rate and illicit drug trafficking. It might have been motivated purely by fears of violence in Marion and not really a proclamation made for the defense of minorities. I have lived in Marion for a little more than three years now. I have not witnessed any protesting of any kind.

I then perused the vendors and came across a booth for the Democratic party. They have five candidates running this year. The Republicans have as many. As I asked the lady there to tell me about the candidates, she didn't know their platforms, only that I should speak to the candidates when I see them. Good idea.I mention to her that I am in the Constitution Party and she then gives me a lecture on how the Republicans are the elitists and the Democrats have been the only side for the people. She seemed a little off put that I should say to her that I wanted to know the candidates before I chose to vote.

I wanted to meet the candidates, only two were there that evening. I managed to find one, a gentleman who had been mayor before and running again. I then asked him what his platform was, because he was so new to the race that I had only seen signs for him just this week.

This candidate advised me that I should go to his Facebook page and read about his plans. His achievement in office was getting the chirping traffic signals for the visually impaired. I should have reminded him that on his watch, Marion lost two factories that provided employment for the citizens of Marion, we lost GM and Thompson RCA, which Marion had spiraled down from a very middle class community to dependency on social services with many abandoned homes. I was not here for the glory of a working class Marion, older residents have told me it used to be nice and everyone had money. A Democrat lost the very means of middle class workers, and then his party wants me to consider that they are for the people. I could not even meet the other candidate, she was busy elsewhere.

Then as we passed another booth, a lonely man who was not politically affiliated with any party asked me if I had registered yet and I explained that I would like to, Marion has somehow lost the last three registrations that I have filled out. While we were talking, the younger neighbor of mine was listening and he asked her if she was interested in registering. She said no, because she didn't really know much about voting. So I told her that even if she registers, she doesn't have to vote. Even if she votes and her candidate doesn't win, at least she was freely allowed to exercise her rights as an American and she would be symbolically saying to those other countries where women can't vote or have rights, that she says to them "stick it to you other countries, I get to vote!" (trying to not use curse words).

Unfortunately this young lady didn't know about the eligibilty for public office and thought that to run for any office you have to be a college graduate. Somehow, the idea of being politically involved means that you have to have some type of degree to be eligible. I told her that she is eligible because she fits the requirements of age and nationality. She didn't even know about that.

Then as we were leaving we came across a man wearing a hat that said Desert Storm Veteran. He was sitting with his wife listening to the music. I went over to him and shook his hand and thanked him for my freedom.

This evening in small town America, a war veteran shook my hand, a Democratic mayorial candidate couldn't even tell me his platform, the Republican mayor couldn't even say anti-Semitic, and the ladies at the Democratic booth shoveled propaganda after I told them I am not interested in joining their party. And the lonely guy cared enough to ask us to register to vote for this political madness.

And no one thought to protest or riot.

edit on 5/1/2015 by WarminIndy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: WarminIndy

LOL ... should be an easy take-over for yourself if you'll just step-up and run for office.

If no one is thinking about protesting or rioting ... maybe, just maybe ... Marion isn't a bad place to be at all.

S&F for the outstanding perspective!!

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 10:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

LOL ... should be an easy take-over for yourself if you'll just step-up and run for office.

If no one is thinking about protesting or rioting ... maybe, just maybe ... Marion isn't a bad place to be at all.

S&F for the outstanding perspective!!

I would, but for family reasons I have to move to another state and won't be here much longer.

Everyone was walking around having a very good time. I can say that while there might be some racism, overall Marion seems not to have that problem now. They did at one time.

ETA: I have just joined The Justice Party this evening.

edit on 5/1/2015 by WarminIndy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Well then.
Tell us about the Justice Party.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 12:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

Well then.
Tell us about the Justice Party.

Justice Party USA

The Justice Party is committed to eliminate the systemic corruption in government caused by the undue influence of concentrated sources of wealth (both corporate and individual), which has led to many serious ills in our society, including widespread poverty, infant and maternal mortality, expensive and inaccessible healthcare, record incarceration rates, and environmental destruction.

VISION - What the Justice Party envisions A peaceful nation and world where social, economic, and environmental justice prevail: Social Justice: Every person's civil and human rights are protected; everyone has the opportunity to obtain an excellent education from early childhood through college or trade school; affordable and high-quality healthcare is available for everyone; government is not controlled by wealthy corporations and individuals, but is truly of the people, by the people, and for the people. Economic Justice: All people are provided with opportunities for prosperity; poverty is eliminated; the “middle class” is thriving; and our economy is appropriately regulated so that all members of society are treated fairly. Environmental Justice: The earth's inhabitants are safe from catastrophic, human-caused climate disruption; nature is protected and preserved through sustainable practices; and our air, water, and food supplies are clean and healthy.

I didn't intend to stump for them, but since you asked, here is the information.

I am opposed to Keystone and nuclear energy, also I am opposed to incarcerating people for less serious and non-violent crimes. I support equality. I support individual responsibility also.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I'd vote for you. At least you're #ing paying attention and you care.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Would I be the first ATS member to become a public officer?

I would be a sight in my electric wheelchair.

ETA: This was supposed to be a quote to KJ, for some reason I must have hit reply instead.
edit on 5/2/2015 by WarminIndy because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join