It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Linux ruined my Windows experience

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I originally got interested in Linux a few years ago when my new computer shipped with Vista.

I tried several Linux distributions and liked OpenSuse the best because I found it most familiar to what I am already use to.

Unfortunately I spent tens of hours trying to get my hardware to work and gave up. I went back to Vista.

That was OpenSuse version 9 and I've been keeping a watchful eye on it since. I tried every OpenSuse distribution since and found it wasn't quite ready yet.

Then I bought a new HP i7/12gig notebook PC a while back. It shipped with Windows 8 and I immediately HATED the GUI.
But as it is with Microsoft, there is no choice so I suck it up to put up with it.

Then MS began to offer 8.1 for free so I installed it. My i7 became noticibly slower so I brought it back to Win 8 using my restore disks.
Then Microsoft changed the 8.1 from an offer to a demand.

I had to accept a slower i7 notebook with a new GUI I hated even more.

Had to accept it? Really?

I installed the latest version of OpenSuse (13.2) alongside Win 8.1 in a dual boot system. It was a real pain to set up the dual boot for the new BIOS computers lock for Microsoft (for our own good, of course).

(continued )

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Mint, like windows but better.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

It's more like Windows ruined your Windows experience. Weird that you noticed a slow down from 8 to 8.1. For the vast majority, it actually improves performance / boot time.
edit on 1-5-2015 by MrMaybeNot because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I began searching for and using Linux-native versions of programs I use in Windows. Cinelerra for video editing, OpenOffice (Libre) instead of Microsoft Office, Ardour for Cubase etc.

There were also a few Windows based programs I needed that run good in WINE. WINE is not an emulator but provides the libraries etc for some Windows programs to run in Linux.

Hating Microsoft in general, the choices it makes and its draconian EULA is not a good reason alone to switch operating systems.
Any new operating system must be definitely better along with the applications.

I spent the next 6 months using both but favoring OpenSuse. I fully expected to find OpenSuse to be a compromise.

I was wrong.

In the end I made a list of my findings to decide if I wanted OpenSuse to replace Windows.

Windows:
Install: Very easy using the 6 DVD disks but takes 1 hour to complete the disks, 4 hours to download and install updates, another 4 hours of updates after reboot and another hour to uninstall bloat ware and install anti-virus.
Setting up dual boot is difficult.

Applications:Most applications run (as we know) except those not compiled for Windows.

Stability: Very stable.

Ease of use:Frustrating to initially learn from an XP or Win 7 computer. Continues to be frustrating at times.
Requires anti-virus software with regular updates, often very slow boot and shutdown due to downloading/installing Windows updates.

Opensuse:
Install: Very easy in less than an hour with one DVD. About 20 minutes of updates then good to go. No bloatware or Antivirus.

Applications: I find generally Linux programs that do the same functions as Windows programs are less eye candy but more usable. For instance I find the experience using Libre (OpenOffice) better than MS Office. Some instances Windows ran with WINE are better.
There are exceptions. For example I use a high end 3D program (Lightwave 3D) which will not license in Linux. I am a SkyRim player and it won't work.

Stability: Very stable

Ease of use: I found it a bit frustrating at first, just as a PC person switching to Mac would be. I was very surprised though to find a level of easy custom configurations not available to Windows users.

Never any anti-virus to update. The PC boots right up and shuts right down when turned off. Never any "wait configuring updates" messages.

(Continued)

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Thanks for the comments as I continue...

So Opensuse was the clear winner based on my list above.

I kicked Microsoft to the curb and installed an exclusive system. I used an old Vista machine for my 3D program but SkyRim wouldn't run on that system.

I had to (regrettably) go back to dual-boot Windows 8.1 for those two programs. Windows is a necessary waste of space.

Coming from a person who is NOT a techie... but knows a bit (really, just a bit) I find the OpenSuse a lot more pleasurable and easier to use than Windows.

Someone here mentioned Linux Mint.
That's another great distribution and let me share a personal experience.

About 10 years ago I gave my mother her first computer, a 486 with Windows XP. She was in her mid 70's and her mind was getting noticibly dull. That PC really helped her sharpen her mind as she studied how to use it.
She's upgraded her PC periodically over the years.

Then I noticed communication from her and my father stopped.
I found they got a new PC with Windows 8, got disgusted and stopped using it.
I loaded Linux Mint and they are so happy with it.

I like to share that for those who think Linux is too difficult to learn.
My parents, almost 90 years old use and love it.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: FormerlyConfused

Great thing about op-systems is you can modify them to your liking.
The bad thing about op-systems is you can modify them to your liking...

Doesn't mean they'll WORK correctly once you do. After all...they were made to work with their own parts. We buy them, start changing this, adding that, partitioning off those, change over this...then wonder why its not doing what you want it to. Why did you buy it in the 1st place if 1/2 of it wasn't how you wanted it?

Im all for modifications (a rock guitar player-I always started tearing apart brand new ones the second I got them home, so I do get it)...but I wouldn't buy a new Ford Mustang with the intent to put in a Corvette engine and Lamborgini wing doors, then wonder why the damn engine doesn't fit, and that the doors wont fully close.

Just sayin...I edit a newsletter, write music, novels, process video and music...and don't know or have barely HEARD of half the things you mentioned. I have a simple HP Pavilion G Series laptop-Windows 7, use everything for everything...so don't quite....get all the changes others find "necessary".

I do get it though at the very least....but never have any issues with anything either operations, ease of use, speed, processing whatever....

Good luck though!

edit on 1-5-2015 by mysterioustranger because: "When the light is "ON"...it is!

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Please excuse any typos or strange wording in my last posts.... I am hurriedly pounding it out on my
Note 4 cell phone.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Hi Mysterioustranger.

I am not sure what your point is about modifying hardware or whatever you mean....

I am a typical computer user who wants my system to just work unmodified other than the OS regardless of what OS I choose.

The point I am making in this thread is I had expected that Linux in OpenSuse would be a compromise to Windows.

But rather I found Windows to be the compromise in almost all points.

As everyone else regardless of the OS, I initially set it up then forget it's even there as I do what I need to do in letter writing, watching videos etc.

Windows has a clear advantage when it comes to the number of software titles. But number does not necissarily equate to quality... which I guess that in itself is arbitrary.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 06:20 PM
link   
You said you didn't like the windows GUI, however with windows 8.1, you have the option to boot to desktop and never see the metro again. I also find it strange that you lost performance. Also, Linux user base is generally system admins and people who like to tinker. Trying to play games that use directx (Microsoft) should have been the very first thing you researched before switching to Linux as your main OS. Linux is not a gaming platform and probably never will be unless by some miracle OpenGL becomes the new graphics standard.

Like the other poster suggested, I believe Windows ruined your Windows experience.... or more specifically your lack of experience. It's no secret that Linux (Unix systems in general) is much more stable than windows, however it's not nearly as user-friendly. Linux is not plug and play whereas Windows is.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Hi Aedaeum.
You make some points but not all are valid.

Linux -used to be- for those who tinker. However some distributions make your statement less true as the OS has matured.

Steam, a major gaming distributor installs in native Linux and boasts several thousands of Linux compiled games.

Plug and play- Again the OS (Ubuntu, Mint,OpenSuse etc) have matured to make the issue of drivers and problems with installation less relevant.

Linux is not for everyone.

If we lived in a sea of shiny new Volkswagen beetles and that is all everyone was used to seeing... With outdated rumors how difficult something better is then..... well...

I hear they are coming out with a new shiny VW beetle version 10 soon...I hope the motor will start a bit faster and make it with better locks to keep out the riff raff.

At least it will keep the lock makers busy.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: FormerlyConfith

I do understand as I said...heck. I still go buy a guitar or something, and the salesman wants to plug it in for me...Ill tell them to forget it. I don't care if it works...Ill just tear it apart as soon as I get it home. (Used to drive my parent NUTZ in the sixties...brand new, ripping it apart).

To simplify my point, its too bad that comptrs aren't sold with all the options to MODIFY it with what we want to do...even if the parts and systems aren't the same companies.

We should be able to buy and request the things we want...no matter if the company is ticked off or not that we don't want the ones that come with them. Right?

I know you can to a degree...and it costs....

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: FormerlyConfith

I do understand as I said...heck. I still go buy a guitar or something, and the salesman wants to plug it in for me...Ill tell them to forget it. I don't care if it works...Ill just tear it apart as soon as I get it home. (Used to drive my parent NUTZ in the sixties...brand new, ripping it apart).

To simplify my point, its too bad that comptrs aren't sold with all the options to MODIFY it with what we want to do...even if the parts and systems aren't the same companies.

We should be able to buy and request the things we want...no matter if the company is ticked off or not that we don't want the ones that come with them. Right?

I know you can to a degree...and it costs....

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   

I hear they are coming out with a new shiny VW beetle version 10 soon...I hope the motor will start a bit faster and make it with better locks to keep out the riff raff.

I am using that shiny new 10, and so far, I'm not particularly impressed. As usual, Microsoft isn't really listening to those of us testing their new "best Windows ever". But they did kinda sorta get rid of Metro. Right now, they're so focused on the one OS fits all devices, they can't see the forest for the trees.

Like others, I am surprised 8.1 ran slower than 8 for you.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Linux ruined my Windows experience maybe 10 yrs ago. I think I used Mandrake or Slackware as my first Linux experience and besides having to used some ndiswrapper magic to get my NIC to work my Computer was almost twice as fast as it was using XP, which was a half decent Windows release.

Now, after using various distros over the years, I am using Lubuntu which keeps my 6 yr old Computer running and is secure.

I also used FreeBSD for a while and I think that OS is faster than both Linux and Windows.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I want all the green writing and black background and all the noises and beeps as each letter is typed on the screen. And when text is displayed, I want it to all stream like it's being typed, with sounds all beeping along the way.

And when I minimize a window, it goes, "Zeeeeoooohhhhmp!"

And when I restore it, it goes, "wwwoooooooozzzzzzit!"

And I want it to ask for my password at random times so that I can type it in and it goes beep beep beep beep, "ah ah ah, wrong password David - try again - ah ah ah" then I put the right one in and it's all "Access GRANTED!"

I will sacrifice usability.

Can linux do this for me?

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Funny thing is, linux is more secure than windows BUT saying that, in recent times I've rooted more linux boxes in the wild than windows due to the prevalence of bashbug/shellshock.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Linux really is nice if you are willing to take the plunge and learn a few things. For what most people do a chromebook or linux will cover about all of it. If you just want to watch movies, use the internet, download some songs....there is really no reason to not use linux or a chromebook.

I would do linux full time but with music hardware and other kinds of hardware linux is just too damn buggy. And with gaming WINE doesnt run everything perfectly. But I hate windows and its a resource hog and can often have as many errors and issues as linux. I've used Ubuntu and Kali...but im really wanting to try mint.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Thanks for the interest and replies in this thread, all is good.

Please don't think I am bashing Windows as a bad OS. Contrary it is an AWESOME OS that has come a long way. Heck many of us can remember when we had to boot to DOS and type "win" for Windows 3.1 to boot and manually add the configurations and drivers.

With that said...
I work for the phone company turning up new Juniper MX960's and T640's, then configure them to Cisco CRS backbone routers.
Juniper uses their own Unix-based OS in their systems called Junos and the Cisco CRS's are very similar.

Security, reliability and speed are among the top priority when it comes to facility backbone equipment.
A chain is only strong as its weakest link and I have yet to find any Internet device that uses Microsoft anything. ... except most home PC's and my terminal at work. Go figure.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: rockpaperhammock

Hi Roc....
GOTTA try Mint it's excellent. Amazing for how small it is. Fits easily on my old 2 gig thumb drive.

I have two identical Vista-era Compaq AMD desktop machines. One has Vista the other Mint. Speed of the two are not comparable at all.

The Vista is in a box in the back of a closet somewhere and I am running a local Minecraft server on the Mint for me and my 3 kids.

I also agree with the general statement that games run better on Windows. My Skyrim and a graphics package is the only reason I keep it around.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   

I've been messing around with Mint for a few years on a live USB thumb drive. But, until native gaming support comes to Linux, I'm still stuck with having to use Windows.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join