It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ISIS overpowers Iraqi Forces at Baiji refinery - Largest refinery in Iraq....

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

originally posted by: DelMarvel

What happened to ISIS being so small nobody needed to worry?

I haven't read of anyone in the media or government(s) saying anything remotely like this; at least not for a very long time.

The U.S. media, of course, quickly loses interest and moves on to the next news du jour. Baltimore right now.

A while back it was very common for them to be portrayed as no threat and a small faction In the news. Even on ATS plenty stated nothing to worry about....seems they were wrong.

I remember this a lot, and it was less than a year ago that this was happening....

Many here literally laughed it off...

Meanwhile those of us who warned them and told them they were heavily funded and were not to be downplayed, watched as they grew in strength and number...

And now whole swaths of people are being murdered and killed wholesale

Yep...I could dig back through all my old posts and link them but that would be exhaustive with all the posts about them being nothing To worry about.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: haman10

I appreciate the info, and yes I am very interested in the issues in the middle east. I will read up on the PMF. Nothing is ever how it's reported in the news which is why I rely on knowledge from people on the ground for a lot of reports. Some are not very reliable, but when a story pops up that seems to have some truth I tend to read about it and research it as much as possible.

Thanks for the contribution to the thread!

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   

I appreciate the info, and yes I am very interested in the issues in the middle east. I will read up on the PMF. Nothing is ever how it's reported in the news which is why I rely on knowledge from people on the ground for a lot of reports. Some are not very reliable, but when a story pops up that seems to have some truth I tend to read about it and research it as much as possible.

My friend , here is some info regarding PMF forces by wikipedia :

PMF forces

Wikipedia can be edited by everyone thats why its not always the best source to follow things . its not the worst either .

You're doing the right thing BTW , keep up the good job

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: haman10

PMF forces

Wikipedia can be edited by everyone thats why its not always the best source to follow things . its not the worst either .

Much appreciated!

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   

PMF forces

Is there any worry of PMF becoming an extremist faction there? Who is their allegiance to and why do they fight? Also, how well are they trained?

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 08:25 PM
link   
hmm, most of the Western media has been promoting the narrative of Iraq taking stuff back from Isis.

somebody mentioned whether Isis would destroy the facility. If they are serious about being/having a 'State' they will want it intact for economic reasons. if they blow it all up they will be going down the anarchy route.

we live in interesting times...

thx for the news/thread

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 11:44 PM
link   

The irony of the PMF is that the U.S. is now providing air support and other aid to Shiite militias that were previously insurgents against the U.S. military during the occupation. Not to mention these guys are also being directly supported by Iran. The whole situation is fubar.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 11:52 PM
link   

PMF forces

Is there any worry of PMF becoming an extremist faction there? Who is their allegiance to and why do they fight? Also, how well are they trained?
well no. They're not extremists but normal citizens who took guns to protect their country when Iraqi army could not.

Their allegiance is Iraqi government and they enjoy air support from the coalition (including US) and IRIAF separately.

They are trained and armed by iraqi government and Iranian army.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 01:35 AM
link   

PMF forces

well no. They're not extremists but normal citizens who took guns to protect their country when Iraqi army could not.

Their allegiance is Iraqi government and they enjoy air support from the coalition (including US) and IRIAF separately.

Do you follow the Kurdish situation? How's the YPG doing? Going by what the media in English says they and the Peshmerga are having success. Is that the case to your knowledge?
edit on 2-5-2015 by DelMarvel because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 03:48 AM
link   

PMF forces

Do you follow the Kurdish situation? How's the YPG doing? Going by what the media in English says they and the Peshmerga are having success. Is that the case to your knowledge?
Yep , i'm an Iranian kurd myself .

YPG is doing ok . not very good not very bad . the pressure is off kurdish forces since the liberation of Kobane .

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 03:54 AM
link   

PMF forces

YPG is doing ok . not very good not very bad . the pressure is off kurdish forces since the liberation of Kobane .

Wow. Where are you? Are you allowed to say?

How about the U.S. weapons that the government in Baghdad wasn't sending to the Peshmerga? Has that gotten any better?

The Kurds are great people and the best friends America has in that region. It's a crime we're not helping Iraqi Kurdistan the way we should be.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 04:00 AM
link   

PMF forces

How about the U.S. weapons that the government in Baghdad wasn't sending to the Peshmerga? Has that gotten any better?

The Kurds are great people and the best friends of America in that region. It's a crime we're not helping Iraqi Kurdistan the way we should be.

Israel was reported as supplying the Iraqi Kurds around a decade ago with training and equipment. Not sure if it's still happening but there has always been links between Tel Aviv and Kurdistan, maybe USA iss supplying still through this channel?
edit on 2-5-2015 by ufoorbhunter because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Bunch of Aussie SAS over there at the moment . Wonder how close they are .

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 04:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: ufoorbhunter

PMF forces

The Kurds are great people and the best friends of America in that region. It's a crime we're not helping Iraqi Kurdistan the way we should be.

Israel was reported as supplying the Iraqi Kurds around a decade ago with training and equipment. Not sure if it's still happening but there has always been links between Tel Aviv and Kurdistan, maybe USA iss supplying still through this channel?

I don't follow this as close as I did some months ago but at that point the Peshmerga from Iraqi Kurdistan claimed they were not getting U.S. weapons and supplies from the Baghdad government that were earmarked for the Kurds and that they were very poorly equipped compared to DAISH. Same with the YPG who were holding off Daish in Kobani with mostly small arms for a long time.

Kurdistan was supposed to be receiving a percentage of the U.S. military aid to Iraq but the al-Malaki government never gave them any. This was going on long before the current crisis.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 04:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: hutch622
Bunch of Aussie SAS over there at the moment . Wonder how close they are .

They're on the ground? I hadn't heard about that. But as I said, unfortunately, I kind of tuned out after Kobani.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 04:16 AM
link   
a reply to: DelMarvel

They are there for "training " purposes .

www.smh.com.au...
edit on 2-5-2015 by hutch622 because: to add link

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 04:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: hutch622
a reply to: DelMarvel

They are there for "training " purposes .

www.smh.com.au...

Looks like the Canadians are there, too. And U.S. special forces as well, but I don't think that was much of a secret.

www.theglobeandmail.com...

A report into the death of a Canadian soldier in Iraq, prepared by U.S.-led special forces, is now complete but won’t be made public, the Department of National Defence says.

Instead, the findings are being fed into two Canadian military investigations looking at the circumstances behind Sergeant Andrew Doiron’s death March 6 in northern Iraq. He was killed by Kurdish fighters in what the Canadian Armed Forces says was a “friendly fire” incident.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 04:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

odd this is not all over the news yet....

Isn't it just...

And really, it's quite strange too that a strategic target like the largest refinery in Iraq is so easily taken and wasn't bolstered with cast iron protection..it's almost as if somebody wanted them to gain control of this very important facility.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 04:40 AM
link   

PMF forces

The Kurds are great people and the best friends America has in that region. It's a crime we're not helping Iraqi Kurdistan the way we should be.
Yes lol . i live in kermanshah province of Iran . the only places in the world were kurds are actually free and secure is here . we have 3 provinces with kurd majority : Iranian kurdistan , kermanshah and Ilam .

Kurds are armed well . They are armed with Iranian made ATGMs and artillery rockets + American Small arms :

english.alarabiya.net...

www.breitbart.com...

www.al-monitor.com...#

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

You mentioned in the opener that "This is not good" then went on to explain what is happening. You did not go into detail as to how this is not good, nor to whom.

To the Iraqi's? I suppose it isn't good. But I have a question Two actually. Do we get a good amount of oil from Iraq, of which we use to produce usable gasoline? If not, why should we care about an oil refinery in Iraq? If we do get oil from there, remember that we are drilling more oil than ever in North America than we ever have before. So if ISIS really is taking over the refinery, all we have to do is find another gear for our own drilling and refinery operations over here, so what happens over there doesn't affect us economically.

The military and the CIA will always have their fingers in someone else's pie. That's what they do to get their kicks. I say f**k 'em and forget 'em and get on with our own lives over here. I guess I should appreciate the fact that people care about others' misfortunes overseas, but I can't help but wonder how much better our own country of America would be if we channeled all that caring back home and focused on our own problems more.

If one region of the world can't fix their own problems (which I have a VERY hard time believing is the case over there) then they deserve to live in a perpetual state of confusion, chaos and war. Why drag other people into their quagmire of ineffective living? That's called being a burden to society as a whole and I really don't know why it is acceptable behavior to encourage that by enabling them through monetary gifts and military surplus.

Flame away. You know I'm right, but you're afraid to live the truth.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join