It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama could have used himself as a great example

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Instead of fueling racial division Obama could have used his life marriage and responsible parenthood as an example for African Americans to follow, by simply telling them not to run from police, take care of the children you have and be a responsible working citizen.

This happens by staying in school and getting a good education and passing that on to your children. If African Americans had been doing that the last 60 years imagine the difference they would have made for the better of our society today.

I blame the political system that only cares for votes in order to fill their own pockets instead of the system that cares for the people they represent.

edit on 30-4-2015 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 11:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn

This happens by staying in school and getting a good education and passing that on to your children. If African Americans had been doing that the last 60 years imagine the difference they would have made for the better of our society today.

Ya, that's exactly what TPTB want.
/sarcasm

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 12:11 AM
link   
a reply to: FaceMyBook
I am serious if the African American families would have embraced good education and not allowed themselves to have been used for political purposes they would make great responsible citizens.

I Have a neighbor who is African American he has the best yard on the block, he is a responsible parent and a great citizen and person. Eyes closed you could not see a racial difference because he is a upright responsible person who cares for himself and his family.

The US needs more African Americans like him.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 12:28 AM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

Are you saying he has never said that?

Or that he just needs to say it over and over again in every circumstance.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 12:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Are you saying he has said it?

Remember the more it is said the more it is implanted into societal psychi
edit on 1-5-2015 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 12:46 AM
link   
it is a little deeper than than Chester. And considering you like to lump all African Americans into this hive mentality culture, as if they are all in unison together in a single drone mind army, I doubt you will care to listen to this anyways, but I will give it a shot.

Dark skinned communities were doing great during the segregation days ( you know, except for the lack of civil rights and all). But as a family unit, the average family even in an urban environment was well off. They were church goers, enjoyed their own music clubs and had some good times. After civil rights was won, the Federal government did something funny. They began to flood these communities with drugs and alcohol at a time when TV and the propaganda it washes everyone brains with also was working against their minds. Up until this time, even the majority of urban black communities were thriving culturally and had very coherent family units.

Then in the seventies, not too long after the civil rights were earned finally, the communities suddenly had a rash influx of drugs. This may have had a connection to the Vietnam war, as ironically heroin use and supply began to increase heavily, kind of like today after the Afghan war, it is probably easier now than any other point except the seventies to source some quality smack.

Once the drugs get into your communities and you pile it on top with a racists police system that would assign less urgency to these communities, the trap was set. The police then were not arresting drug dealers not because of no snitching culture (boy how the local civic leaders would snitch to their hearts desire), but because they had no desire to police these urban black communities.
It was all part of a plan to dehumanize and subjugate the black community once again.

Now that generations of these urban communities have devolved within this trap, it is going to be very difficult to reverse. Progress has been made in some municipalities, less in others.

This has not been the case so much however in suburban and rural black communities. Mainly because the smaller homely Sheriffs and police in those communities are not the ones supplying half the dope in the city like in places as Miami, NYC, Chicago, Baltimore, Philly, D.C., L.A. and so on.

I have trecked with the people on the opposite side of the law in the past, and there is one thing most people who have known a person that could clear $2k+ a week in coc aine will tell you, is that they have dealt with law enforcement at least indirectly when it came to getting their supply. The supplier usually has at least one detective on speed dial, and if you are clearing 10k a month, it is very likely you have a personal contact within the local PD.

The moment I saw a uniformed officer walk in to buy a gram though (just a beat cop likely) , i was like # this I am not hanging with the right people I am going to get killed if I keep associating with them. I mean wtf???You know damn well if a uniform entered this house under whatever pretense he had, and came out with some powder up his nose, there is a detective down the line covering everyones ass.

Its like an open secret in many of these urban communities. Even in this medium sized Florida city I am in I witnessed it.

So Chester, it is not all 'Black and white' (no pun intended) when it comes to this issues, because the destruction of the culture in these urban communities was planned long ago, probably even in anticipation of the civil rights movement winning.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 12:52 AM
link   

In those exact words maybe not, but more or less yes I think he has made that message before.

I do agree with your last sentence in your OP.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 05:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: FaceMyBook

Ya, that's exactly what TPTB want.
/sarcasm

It's always somebody else right ??? It's "TPTB" holding people down.... it's divide-and-conquer, it's unfair DA's, or not enough handouts, or poor education..... it's this here, or next week it's that over there....

But it's NEVER EVER a matter of PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY is it !?!?!?!?

Strange how that works......

I grew up on a dirt road, and lhen moved into the city before highschool. Went to a very diverse high school, and the funny thing is this: Even though I had the same teachers as other students, I managed a 3.6 GPA while others got in fights, dropped out, or barely graduated. And then some kids had 4.0+ GPA's....

You know what the difference was ??? THE PERSON. The parents. The mentality.

The point is that while so many people admire Obama for his achievements, many seem to not acknowledge that it was his life choices and determination that got him there. Instead of giving people more excuses, he should encourage others to follow his path of success. It's a similar path to Colin Powell, Neil deGrasse-Tyson, Loretta Lynch, or a million other black Americans. It's a pretty simple formula: work for it, take advantage of every opportunity afforded to you, set realistic goals, never settle until you reach your goals, and DONT GET YOUR HEAD CAUGHT UP IN A VICTIMHOOD/RACIST MENTALITY.

edit on 1-5-2015 by 8675309jenny because: typos

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 07:09 AM
link   

I am serious if the African American families would have embraced good education and not allowed themselves to have been used for political purposes they would make great responsible citizens.

I Have a neighbor who is African American he has the best yard on the block, he is a responsible parent and a great citizen and person. Eyes closed you could not see a racial difference because he is a upright responsible person who cares for himself and his family.

Education can't save you when you can be executed by 'fearful' cops for the crime of being black. Education won't help when you live in a society that thinks the only jobs you are fit for involve "work boots'. And further, you are assuming by your statement that black folks are not responsible citizens. Deny ignorance, friend..starting with this Bravo Sierra.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 07:12 AM
link   
a reply to: 8675309jenny

Well said. The world needs more personal responsibility. We are too fixated on the blame game instead of actually fixing problems.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Obama, an example? LMFAO!

Hell! He helped engineer our current situation.

An example...............Sheeesh!

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 07:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ironhawke

Education can't save you when you can be executed by 'fearful' cops for the crime of being black. Education won't help when you live in a society that thinks the only jobs you are fit for involve "work boots'. And further, you are assuming by your statement that black folks are not responsible citizens. Deny ignorance, friend..starting with this Bravo Sierra.

OK, to be very blunt here, the only BS here is yours.

Just go to the Posse Comitatus forum to see how many people of ALL races are shot dead by cops. Black people do not have a monopoly on police brutality!

And society thinks black people are only fit for 'work boots' ??? Are you joking??? I guess we all missed the memo and by some freak accident THESE PEOPLE got rich when the society that hates them bought their products. Really man? Is that how your imagine it???

And what if 'society' does feel that way? You think Oprah gives a damn what nay-sayers think? She's a BILLIONAIRE mate!! Successful people laugh in the face of obstacles and critics.

You know what is probably the hardest thing for black people to overcome?? Attitudes like yours.

edit on 1-5-2015 by 8675309jenny because: reformatted @ 8:38am EST

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 07:46 AM
link   

a reply to: Sremmos80

Are you saying he has said it?

Remember the more it is said the more it is implanted into societal psychi

Hell, that's all Obama has ever said about how to be Black in America. Where have you been? On FOXNews?

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

that seems to be true. Seeing I have not heard him use his life as an example to African Americans let alone any American families.

Instead of using his life as an example to lead many towards personal responsibility he used phrases like "he could have been my son" or "they acted stupidly"

Yes I agree he has done more to divide than united while promoting himself as a uniter he was actually a fracturer. fracturing American Society more than helping it.

edit on 1-5-2015 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: NorEaster

try linking to one example of him using his life to guide blacks into responsible citizens.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   

a reply to: NorEaster

try linking to one example of him using his life to guide blacks into responsible citizens.

Trevor Coleman thinks it’s time for President Obama to get a new speech for black audiences. The personal responsibility finger-wagging, delivered most recently Sunday at Morehouse College’s commencement, is getting old.

During the speech, Obama admonished black men to take care of their families and their communities and told the graduates that despite the lingering legacies of slavery and discrimination, “we’ve got no time for excuses.” Obama also used the occasion to talk about his own life, touching on the fact that he was raised by a single mother and that growing up he sometimes blamed some of his bad choices on “the world trying to keep a black man down.”

Source

Ask and you shall receive.

Perhaps it would be wiser if we were to do a little research before we accuse the man of having never done or said something, and accuse him of fueling racism.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ironhawke

Yes, African-Americans are being killed. By themselves. Literally. Feel free to research homicide statistics. I am not for police brutality against anyone. This case is slightly different since the person was in police custody already. No excuses for that, the officers who are guilty should be charged accordingly. In the Ferguson case though the criminal was not in custody so it's a different scenario altogether.

To me it looks petty and off target to riot when a criminal person with a long rap sheet and multiple encounters with police is hurt/killed -- but when other black criminals are murdering innocent black people by the THOUSANDS each year they do nothing. If the Baltimore police (or Ferguson) are that racist and awful just stop calling them!! Clean up your own streets. Raise your own kids to be police officers. Vote into power different people.

www.washingtonpost.com...

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Nice fantasy rag on Obama... And typical ignorance...

Read this. Obama's Father's Day Speech to Black Fathers

But if we are honest with ourselves, we'll admit that what too many fathers also are is missing - missing from too many lives and too many homes. They have abandoned their responsibilities, acting like boys instead of men. And the foundations of our families are weaker because of it.
But we also need families to raise our children. We need fathers to realize that responsibility does not end at conception. We need them to realize that what makes you a man is not the ability to have a child - it's the courage to raise one.
It's up to us - as fathers and parents - to instill this ethic of excellence in our children. It's up to us to say to our daughters, don't ever let images on TV tell you what you are worth, because I expect you to dream without limit and reach for those goals. It's up to us to tell our sons, those songs on the radio may glorify violence, but in my house we live glory to achievement, self respect, and hard work. It's up to us to set these high expectations. And that means meeting those expectations ourselves. That means setting examples of excellence in our own lives.

I'll let you read (or ignore) the rest. It's a pretty great speech.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

didn't use himself as an example

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

again didn't use himself as the example to follow.

he always speaks in generalities.

I am so glad you are happy with his presidential performance the past 7 years.

I am not he only got one of my votes.

first time shame on me second time . . er well there wasn't a second time for me. But you?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join