It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teen faces life in prison for 1 charge of rioting

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   
That is the shocking truth. He turned himself in. Urged by his parents. It is truly heartbreaking to see generational aprtheid right before my eyes.

source

“As parents, we wanted Allen to do the right thing,” Bullock’s mother, Bobbi Smallwood, said. “He was dead wrong, and he does need to be punished. But he wasn’t leading this riot. He hasn’t got that much power.”

These parents have been listening to guys like Allen West and Ben Carson too much.

Hawkins noted that the proposed amount is higher than that placed on some accused murderers in the city. “Who could afford to pay that?” the stepfather asked.

Too bad his mom doesn't realize this is a legal lynching. That is sad. She would send the kid right back to the wolves.

“If they let him go, he could at least save some money and pay them back for the damage he did,” his mother agreed.

edit on 30-4-2015 by InverseLookingGlass because: got to be fast.

edit on 30-4-2015 by InverseLookingGlass because: (no reason given)

edit on 30/4/15 by masqua because: fixed coding which messed up post

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: InverseLookingGlass

And the vicious cycle of poverty, jail time and more poverty never ends then people ask why people in Baltimore turned violent to begin with.

+24 more 
posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   

The guardian doesn't say life in prison so where did that come from?

Also 500 grand bail, further down his parents say realistically he could spend 4 to 8 years in jail

Your blog is currying for views and ratings .

Looks like the guardian was honest about it

Why sensationalize it?

Can't do the time 4-8 years and pay the bail don't destroy 10s of thousands of dollars of property

IMHO he's lucky he didn't get charged with felonies

Also your thread title says for ONE charge of rioting but the fact is he has at least 8 charges

Please be fair w your reporting next time you can't accuse the media of not reporting things or reporting things that aren't true and then come in here and do the same

edit on 30-4-2015 by Lgbtlivesmatter because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Looks to me like they want to make a martyr of this boy, give the people of Baltimore yet another reason to hate authority and start another round of protests/riots.

Even a year in prison might be excessive considering this is only property damage.
Once again we see evidence of agendas at play, stirring up yet more anger.
We can't have anyone turning themselves in and trying to do the right thing now can we?

Eta: Where in the article except the headline does it say anything about life in prison?
Where did that come from? More sensationalism?
edit on 30-4-2015 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Meh according to some he is a 'thug'..

And to marge.. Reaganomics is awesome isnt it.. The rich get mad ass rich and the poor get dirt poor.. and everyone wants to blame rioters for actions they choose to do because they are living the highlife...

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 07:59 PM
link   

I think the kid did the right thing in turning himself in and $500k bail is ridiculous. He should be severely punished, but is that bail money going to the property owners? He'll no! Reduce the bail, make him do 1 year and 5 years hhouse arrest. Make him restitute directly to those he damaged.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 08:00 PM
link   
The stupidity of every aspect of law in the world is astonishing. Life in prison for a riot? Yet child molesters, murderers, and rapists get less than life?

"He broke my window! Give him the electric chair!"

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   
The dem's example is the rioting

So listening to conservatives and their examples is far better

One thing and right is PEACEFUL protest. Willful destruction of innocents property is hoodlum mentality.

Having said that the greater blame falls on parents and the individuals participating. If Clinton hadn't signed two 20 year back to back trade agreements with China we just might have jobs for our people.
edit on 30-4-2015 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Title of the article and thread title are misleading.

The young man is not facing a "Life in prison" sentence.

He's being charged with eight misdemeanors. There is no life imprisonment for misdemeanors.

He's looking at a maximum of 8 years.

The actual article title reads:

Baltimore Teen Encouraged by Parents to Turn Himself in Is Held on $500,000 Bail, Faces Life in Prison

He's not facing 1 charge.

The article title should have read:

"Baltimore Teen Encouraged by Parents to Turn Himself in Is Held on $500,000 Bail, Faces A Life in Prison"

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Read the guardians link

It's not life. It's 4-8 years. And it's not 1 charge it's more like 8

The kid destroyed possibly 100 k worth of federal property.

Not only that he instigated more of it in doing so

Don't break the law if you don't want to do time.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Sorry it said he was charged with 8 misdemeanors. Under Maryland state law the maximum sentence on that misdemeanor is 18 months. The article also stated he was under juvenile probation for earlier offenses but they mentioned that the earlier offense was also a minor offense.

Now if he was charged with felony rioting this thread would actually mean something.
edit on 30-4-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Life in prison? Thats a little extreme, even by my standards. But on the other hand, he committed a crime and looked to be the center of attention. So let me play devils advocate for a second and ask what kind of crimes did his vandalism inspire? What did those people decide in their own mind was right after watching him go ape# on a car?

Life in prison, little extreme. $500,000 bail? agian, a little extreme. But he could of avoided it all if he just would of stayed at home and not added to an already dumb idea that rioting was going to solve anything and fix all their problems. But he didn't think a head, he wasn't going by a plan of action, he was acting off of feelings. Feeling he should of kept in check. If you have to riot to get other people to listen to your problems with govt, your not putting a lot of thought of into it... just my two cents.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Life in Prison !!

W-o-W

Talk about a picture being worth a million words !!

Get ready for the Nationalized Police. All crimes will become Federal.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Good, make examples of every one of those thugs who burn whole neighborhoods down. Arsonists get the same treatment for burning one home. Rioting isn't so cool now is it.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 08:10 PM
link   

“Teenagers follow one another,” Hawkins said. “That’s just what they do.”

I have to agree with that statement. There's a lot of peer pressure with teens. I've seen respectable straight A students being dragged down by simple peer pressure or just hanging with the wrong crowd.

I have to side with the step father. The teen's face was clearly caught on video, so it would have just been a matter of time when police would come knocking on the door. I doubt life imprisonment would even be considered, and the bail is set pretty high. It's possibly set high just to make sure he doesn't join the current demonstrations again. It can always be reduced later.

I do think the police should have shown some kind of leniency since he was turning himself into police. I would definitely charge him for the damage done to the police cars and an additional fine for rioting. I would even have him do some community service. The charge doesn't fit the crime.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Did anyone bother to read the article?

Both the thread title and the article title are incorrect.

:face palm:

Article was most likely titled that way to get knee jerk reactions.....just like we're seeing here.

The young man is NOT facing a life sentence.

link   

originally posted by: Lgbtlivesmatter

The guardian doesn't say life in prison so where did that come from?

Also 500 grand bail, further down his parents say realistically he could spend 4 to 8 years in jail

Your blog is currying for views and ratings .

Looks like the guardian was honest about it

Why sensationalize it?

Can't do the time 4-8 years and pay the bail don't destroy 10s of thousands of dollars of property

IMHO he's lucky he didn't get charged with felonies

Also your thread title says for ONE charge of rioting but the fact is he has at least 8 charges

Please be fair w your reporting next time you can't accuse the media of not reporting things or reporting things that aren't true and then come in here and do the same

In Maryland he can get life for rioting that is the maximum possible sentence. That may not be the most likely sentence, but it is a possible one. And i fully expect the judges and prosecutors pushing for maximum sentences in the wake of this. It isn't just the police departments that are broken, the entire justice system is. Judges are elected for "being tough on crime". The prosecutors job isn't to protect the public interest or good, it is to rack up the highest conviction rating possible so they can win reelection. The broken legal system is a pretty good mirror for "No child left behind". Everyone preparing for tests, and completely losing sight of why they are really there to begin with.

link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

Life in Prison !!

W-o-W

Talk about a picture being worth a million words !!

Get ready for the Nationalized Police. All crimes will become Federal.

He didn't get life in prison, stop and read the thread.

It is 4 - 8 years on 8 separate charges.

This sensationalism to keep the false rage going is a complete fail.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

It's clear they did not, nor did they check both sources

This kind of stuff is exactly what people on ATS accuse the media of doing

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: KeliOnyx

No it's not, because he's not being charged w a felony.....

No misdemeanors carry a life sentence

He was not charged w any felonies

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join