It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Engineered Drought/Earthquake?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Viewing sites like this sometimes has me clicking for the next post and ignoring that which I can not place a reasonable angle on. Like the drought out West which is supposed to be engineered by evil Man. And then all of a sudden we start getting warnings about the chance of a huge quake in California has risen to an extremely high level without explanation. But then something struck me this morning. It is not too hard to understand how quakes start when the fault line plates under pressure move a little. I would imagine the types of pressure that might effectuate such a calamity are many. But, what about the simple weight of water? They tell us now the drought region around CA has lost 63 trillion gallons of water. One gallon of water weights 8.34 pounds. That means about 525 trillion pounds of pressure from lost water has been lifted from the fault line plates running through California. Now that is scary. If I lived in CA I'd be packing up the U-Haul and heading East. Whether the drought is engineered or not is irrelevant. I think the doom-sayers might be right about an upcoming biggie quake if the drought doesn't correct itself. Have a nice day.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Longshots

Nice post - i like how you put 2 and 2 together, connecting water weight/loss of so much water and the potential for earthquakes in that same region.

I'd love to hear from experts in the field but I definitely think you make a great point. Thanks for sharing

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 12:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Longshots

But, what about the simple weight of water?

I share your concerns, I touched on the subject in this thread last June.California's Central Valley Earthquakes, Ground Water Depletion, and The Big One

From the OP
Depletion of Central Valley's groundwater may be causing earthquakes

Groundwater is very heavy, and its weight depresses the Earth's upper crust. Remove the weight, and the crust springs upward — and that change in pressure can trigger more small earthquakes, the researchers said "It reduces the forces that are keeping the fault clamped together — leading to more small earthquakes during dry periods of time," said Colin B. Amos, assistant professor of geology at Western Washington University, the study's lead author.

edit on 1-5-2015 by Observationalist because: Clarity

new topics

join