It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judith Miller ripped appart over Iraq reporting: You Pushed Us Into 'Devastating' Mistake

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Firstly, let's cover who is Judith Miller, if you don't already know. Here is wiki page...

Judith Miller (born January 2, 1948) is an American journalist and writer. She is formerly of the New York Times Washington bureau, where she became embroiled in controversy after her coverage of Iraq's Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD) program both before and after the 2003 invasion was discovered to have been based on faulty information, particularly those stories that were based on sourcing from the now-disgraced Ahmed Chalabi.[1][2] The New York Times later determined that a number of stories she had written for the paper were inaccurate.[3] According to commentator Ken Silverstein, Miller's Iraq reporting "effectively ended her career as a respectable journalist."[4] Miller acknowledged in The Wall Street Journal on April 4, 2015 that some of her Times coverage was inaccurate, although she had relied on sources she had used numerous times in the past, including those who supplied information for her reporting that had previously won a Pulitzer Prize. She further stated that policymakers and intelligence analysts had relied on the same source as hers, and that at the time there was broad consensus that Iraq had stockpiles of WMD.[5

Source: Wiki

In short, she was used by Bush's administration to propagate and validate war in Iraq.

She wrote a book where she tries to justify her journalist skills, or for better and correct statement, lack of journalist skills and professionalism, 'The Story: A Reporter's Journey' and made bit of mistake to accept to get to Daily Show with Jon Stewart, where she got drilled over all inaccuracies, unprofessional work and mistakes, many of them.

Here are 2 parts of interview, really worth watching...

(Full extended interview available from links bellow, but works only in USA)

thedailyshow.cc.com...

thedailyshow.cc.com...

It is very clear that she was fed information required to get us into war, and even now, years later no one is accepting responsibility. What's even worst, as they conclude interview, the same intelligence that did everything to get us into the war is still there, and it is clear that we might see the same scenario again, all it is required is just someone willing to take risk in white house.

All
for great interview and grilling! Will really miss his show when he is done... and this is example of great interviewing skills. You have to love when he said - that is actually not what makes journalism.

edit on 30-4-2015 by SuperFrog because: Added youtube video for folks out of USA

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Can not watch the vids, they can only be watched in America. im in UK and the interviews are blocked here.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Hope this works....

Not surprisingly, this got big coverage on medias today...

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Miller: It took persuading, and they persuaded a lot of Democrats -- Hillary Clinton, John Kerry. The intelligence was what it was.

Stewart: Turns out, idiocy is bipartisan, but that’s not exculpatory that it captured Democrats and Republicans.

Miller: The intelligence was what it was. People like me didn’t make it up.

Stewart: No but the intelligence was not what it was and not everyone got it wrong

Miller: Almost everybody did …

Stewart: Somebody pointed the light at Iraq and that somebody is the White House and the Defense Department and [Donald] Rumsfeld. He said, right after 9/11, “find me a pretext to go to war with Iraq.”

It is really sad that no one will see any jail time for mistakes and misleading country to war, especially those on the top.
edit on 30-4-2015 by SuperFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 08:50 AM
link   
WOW! Jon Stewart has always been a good interviewer, but since the announcement of his retirement, he has been fearless!

The second video is priceless.. Although I will never get the satisfaction of someone going to jail for lying us into Iraq, it was a small consolation to watch her squirm while being exposed as a fraud.

S&F

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Ahmed Chalabi was already a disgrace with his association with Rafid Ahmed Alwan al-Janabi. The Germans knew it and told the Americans so, MI5 almost certainly knew it too, but it's not clear if they also told the Americans.
Judith Miller should have spread her wings to gather information, and not hang around government departments.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   
"How Fake Intelligence on Iraqi WMD Contributed to Triggering the Invasion, The Insiduous Role of Israel"
source: www.globalresearch.ca...

"Iraq War Costs U.S. more than $2 Trillion"
source: www.reuters.com...

The facts, speak for themselves.

edit on 30-4-2015 by seasoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Didn't they find barrels of Sarin gas in a bunker somewhere in Iraq? The fear was that these could be loaded onto SCUD missiles and fired towards Europe.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Then there was the Iraq supercannon:

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

Syria: False U.S. Intelligence on Sarin Gas – The Mistaken Guns of Last August

NYT Backs Off Its Syria-Sarin Analysis

Just as false assumptions about Iraq’s WMD set off a stampede over that cliff in 2003, a similar rush to judgment regarding Syria brought the U.S. government to the edge of another precipice of war in 2013.

edit on 30-4-2015 by seasoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Its going to be such an awful day when Jon Stewart is no longer on the daily show.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   

All that has been found there is the left over stuff we supplied them during the first war over there.

It was a great interview, I like when John gets some one on that is there to just to smoke and joke but get down to business.

I did think he bullied her a bit, as in talked over and interrupted her, but was a still a good interview.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ezappa
Can not watch the vids, they can only be watched in America. im in UK and the interviews are blocked here.

Glad to see that the UK and the US are not like China and Iran where the gov't controls what you get to see on the internet.

Things that should make you raise an eyebrow:

1. Gov't starts to block information that you get to access.
2. Satire/comedians are the best news sources for the masses.

I have mixed emotions about JS with his brother, more left leaning bias and needs to please the sponsors, but he truly is a better source of information than any MSM media.

BTW you could use VPN to get around the regional issues, but there are big efforts to ban or restrict VPN use in numerous countries . Not sure if the UK is one?

edit on 28430America/ChicagoThu, 30 Apr 2015 13:28:37 -0500000000p3042 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Malynn
Its going to be such an awful day when Jon Stewart is no longer on the daily show.

Watch last week tonight with John Oliver . I actually like the format better because they don't have to worry about advertisers. He even makes fun of the corporate ads run.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   
The full show part 1 and 2 should be available here, for anyone in the UK.

www.comedycentral.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Attention ATS: Judith Miller is a grade A example of a shill. Now you know what one looks like.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I saw this last night, it was like watching a train crash in slow motion. It was horrifically painful for that woman, and Stewart really didn't back down. He went right to the meat and potatoes. I had to pause and rewind because I haven't seen Stewart get like that in a long time.

I mean, he really tore Judith Miller apart!

So, the war in Iraq was based on a bunch of lies/propaganda from the White House...over 5,000 American servicemen are dead and it's cost us how many hundreds of billions of dollars? No one's had to testify to this? No inquiry has been formed?

Yet, "Benghazi!!!!" is being screeched from the roof tops in every comment section dealing with politics, relevant or not.

We really need to investigate this Iraq war nonsense and get to the bottom of who lied to who, and who benefited the most. To many families are missing their sons, husbands, and brothers because of the lies.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Yes, 5K service men and billions of dollars, but that is if we don't start getting into losses on Iraq side, destroyed infrastructure, destabilizing whole region as well Blackwater and similar massacres of civilians. In the end, whole country is actually in its worst position that I am sure some really wish Saddam is still on power.

Just to think how many families are destroyed on both side, and this lady did not have in her to say - I screw up, I am sorry. Nah, it's what makes journalism, right??

I wish Rumsfeld gets to meet Stewart before 8/6 (Stewart's last day), as I am sure it would be much different interview then first one. Other day I read that Stewart acknowledged that he went too easy on him.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   

10th special forces found some ,there were warheads that were blown up during Desert Storm.
We gave it to them.
edit on 30-4-2015 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell
Didn't they find barrels of Sarin gas in a bunker somewhere in Iraq? The fear was that these could be loaded onto SCUD missiles and fired towards Europe.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Then there was the Iraq supercannon:

www.nytimes.com...

All they found were old decomissed chemical weapons in a sealed up bunker from 1991.

They would be all but useless.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

What is really stupid in all of this is the assumption that Sadam would just sit on his nuke material after knowing well in advance that the US was coming and with the intention of finding it. Considering that he would have had to have all sorts of help manufacturing in the first place, if it wasn't indeed just given to him, his little helpers are not going to be sloppy enough to leave fingerprints just laying around to implicate them. The stuff was long gone as it was hoped it would be.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 07:29 PM
link   
You could see Miller was just wanting to push her book, but boy did she walk into a trap. Not only that, but I loved how briefly Jon held up the book at the end, it was the absolute bare minimum while he said the title, and slammed it back down out of view as soon as he possibly could. He was certainly out for blood. Loved it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join