It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Africa set to overtake the world in renewable energy *A follow up to the impending...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 05:26 AM
link   
...National power grid collapse*

Independent Power Producers praised the energy department’s announcement on Thursday that it would be opening the door to a host of new possibilities for the private sector.

mybroadband.co.za...

Independent Power Producers (IPPs) praised the energy department’s announcement on Thursday that it would be opening the door to a host of new possibilities for the private sector to contribute to the production of power in South Africa.

The Department of Energy approved 13 new renewable IPP bids, which means there will now be 79 IPP projects with 5 243MW being added to a national grid desperately in need of power.

This is some good news! Just like we Nelson Mandela did, we can turn this country around again.

I'm not counting my chickens yet.

Give us a full year without load shedding then we can talk.
edit on 4/30/2015 by HD3DSURROUNDSOUND because: (no reason given)

edit on 4/30/2015 by HD3DSURROUNDSOUND because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 05:47 AM
link   
a reply to: HD3DSURROUNDSOUND

Nice! I just hope that your alternative electricity is not as costly as ours in Quebec. Sure, our electricity is clean, but they make us pay the price for it...

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Are these new producers using wind or solar .

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 06:15 AM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

Hi Hutch.

Its solar and wind. Very exciting!

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 06:18 AM
link   
a reply to: swanne

Hi Swanne

Oh are you from Quebec? Cool. Anyways I'd rather pay a bit more than sit with rolling blackouts for up to six hours a day.

But not too much more. Prices are already steep as it is

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Fair point indeed.

Plus, clean is always better anyway. For the environment, I mean.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: swanne

Nice! I just hope that your alternative electricity is not as costly as ours in Quebec. Sure, our electricity is clean, but they make us pay the price for it...

I just looked up your per/KWH there and you guys pay about half of what I pay in Florida with energy from coal and our cost is below average for the country.

I wish we had your electrical costs.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

Holy cow!

But you have to understand we also have big-time taxes. Ours is at 15%. I believe this is almost thrice your taxes in Florida.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: swanne

Yeah we only pay 6% federal sales tax, but they make up for it with toll roads, property taxes, and higher fuel tax. I don't mind the toll roads I pay for what I use.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 03:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

Dude I dont mind the tolls either, but for damn hell you cannot even pay cash at some of them anymore. Toll by plate they say. Except if I only used it once a month I still have to pay like a $3 administrative fee. What a load of bullsnap. What exact dollar figures are you using? I pay 80-100$ a month for a family of six living in a 3 bedroom apartment.

What is the dollar amount in Quebec and where you are Grimpachi?? I always though this was a middle price of sorts.

Oh and I forgot, HD3DSURROUNDSOUND good to see your still doing well amid that energy grid crisis your country was having. Maybe the load shedding will ease up once a few projects get going.

top topics

join