It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The NEO Constitution of the United States of America

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2015 @ 02:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: WarminIndy

While Cinco de Mayo can be considered cultural, it is also their day of Independence. We don't go to Mexico on July 4 and expect them to set of fireworks and eat BBQ. Do away with Cinco de Mayo or recognize all days of independence.

Then I would say that every month a different ethnic group celebrates their culture. We have Oktoberfest for Germans, so every year have a pow wow for Native Americans.

I say do away with recognizing the political holiday of Cinco de Mayo, have a different cultural day for Mexicans. And then as we have several territories, recognize their cultures as well. Why is it that we hear little from Guam and American Samoa, but we know more about Cinco de Mayo?

That's the problem I have with that day, it is not really cultural, it is political. Save the celebration for Mexico's independence to Mexico, unless we also celebrate Bastille Day.

Cinco de May is an American holiday that is pushed by certain industries. It is NOT the Mexican Independence day that is a myth that has been repeated enough that many believe. In other words the 5th of May is just an American drinking holiday.

If we just follow the Preamble of the US Constitution, then maybe we can have a free and just society that cherishes liberty.

edit on 8-5-2015 by jrod because: add

new topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join