It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian spacecraft 'hurtling towards Earth

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Jbird

snip

It appears that there was an explosion as seperation occurred.

Russian space experts investigating how the Progress M-27M cargo craft went into its fatal tail spin said an explosion as the ship separated from its rocket could be to blame.
A cloud of space debris identified by the US airforce indicates some component of the vessel or its Soyuz carrier rocket exploded at the point of separation, damaging navigation equipment and knocking the craft off its intended orbit.

telegraph.co.uk

edit on 2-5-2015 by Meduzi because:

edit on Sat May 2 2015 by Jbird because: removed OT comment

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Re-Entry Predictions
Updated: May 1, 2015 - 10:00 UTC
Current Orbit: 182.7 x 247.3 Kilometers, 51.645°

Latest Re-Entry Predictions:
Spaceflight101: May 10, 2015 - 12:15 UTC +/-3 Days [Issued: May 1]
Satflare/Joseph Remis: May 10, 2015 - 17:05 UTC +/-52 Hours [Issued May 1]
USSTRATCOM: May 9, 2015 - 17:33 UTC +/-6 Days [Issued: April 29, 17:47]
Roscosmos: Initially: May 7-11, Revised: May 5-7 [Issued: April 29]
ESA: May 9, 2015 +/-2 Days [Issued: April 30]

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

+/-3 days? I wonder if William Hill are taking bets.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   

So...
It would be more accurate to say it is hurtling around Earth?
Because if it's been hurtling toward Earth all this time it's been missing the target.
edit on 5/2/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

So...
It would be more accurate to say it is hurtling around Earth?

Yeah pretty much until next week sometime

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 06:47 PM
link   
So is that V shaped artifact just a lens flare?
The video is really quite poor given the state of the art.
Reminds me of the early digital technology used back when US satellites were dropping film by parachute.

edit on 2-5-2015 by Cauliflower because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 04:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Cauliflower

This is quite typical for Russia, to keep using technology that works well. Change for the sake of change, isn't in the Russian psyche. It's the American corporations that deliberately kill perfectly good technology, which forces people to spend money on things that they already have. (iPhones!)

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 04:58 AM
link   

I hope this craft doesn't land on my house

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 04:59 AM
link   

There is a good chance it was damaged as they think there was a explosion in a stage seperation.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Meduzi

This is quite typical for Russia, to keep using technology that works well. Change for the sake of change, isn't in the Russian psyche. It's the American corporations that deliberately kill perfectly good technology, which forces people to spend money on things that they already have. (iPhones!)

Yes...I hate it when the guys from apple turn up at my house with guns and force me to buy a new iPhone.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 07:41 PM
link   
The perigee altitude is down to 109.44 miles.
The descent is not linear since the drag steadily increases with these lower altitude perigees.

The Russians built their space vehicles to last but there is no smoking gun that suggests this is actually a declassified bird being taken down using the ISS supply ship cover story.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cauliflower
The perigee altitude is down to 109.44 miles.
The descent is not linear since the drag steadily increases with these lower altitude perigees.

The Russians built their space vehicles to last but there is no smoking gun that suggests this is actually a declassified bird being taken down using the ISS supply ship cover story.

Bollocks

They cant just claim its a ISS when its not. If they did NASA, ESA ans JAXA would call them out.

All resupply missions are booked and secuduled well in advance.
You dont just launch a rocket on the day and just turn up.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: 3danimator2014

They don't need to. All they need do is to refuse your two year old iPhone an OS upgrade, and you're back camping outside the Apple store shouting "TAKE MY MONEY!" because Candy Crush and Skype stopped working.

Back to the topic...

Did I miss something? Has the failure become the latest conspiracy?

edit on 5-5-2015 by Meduzi because:

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Meduzi

This is ATS a conspiracy site so a story about a robotic Russian supply capsule getting lost immediately falls into the conspiracy category

There is so much junk flying around in orbit I'm not sure the public has access to accurate information about all of it.
Even the earliest Russian Zenit 2 spy satellites don't seem to have a universally accessible deorbit history.
Read an engineering site that said the Zenit 2 did not even have a retrorocket to deorbit?

Space junk deorbits all the time so someone wanted special media spotlight on this event for some reason.
It would be a great UFO if it hadn't been explained to everyone but the conspiracy theorists satisfaction.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Oh yes, of course. Silly me. Well, being Russian, it's obviously laying chemtrails over Capitol Hill as it passes over.

It's going to become impossible to leave the bleedin' planet one day. We're inadvertently building a planetary Dyson sphere, out of junk, and it's almost complete.

edit on 6-5-2015 by Meduzi because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Meduzi

It's the American corporations that deliberately kill perfectly good technology, which forces people to spend money on things that they already have. (iPhones!)

iphones?
Back when I was 6 or 7 years old they hadn't even invented Beige toasters!
Grandpa installed custom springs in the chrome toaster so he could catch the toast in a dish without burning his fingers.
Reduced the risk of electrocution trying to dig the toast out of the deep slots with a fork.
Grandma put fruit marmalade preserves up in ball jars that she stored in the basement.
Even though PC's were distant future technology we built some pretty interesting ham gear though.

<< 2  3  4   >>

join