It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Watch Darpa's Magic Bullets Change Course to Hit Moving Targets

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Darpa has created a bullet which follows its target(s) and hits them known as Extreme Accuracy Tasked Ordnance — shortened to EXACTO rounds. I did another thread on this same topic a while back. These magic bullets which follow moving targets are something to see. As I said before, it reminds me of the old Tom Selleck movie from the 80's titled Runaway.

What does ATS think? Somersetting timely and necessary or just another way to kill?

www.theverge.com...
edit on 29-4-2015 by lostbook because: word add

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 06:08 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

yeeeeeeee...hoorah.

A credit to human race. More lethal ways to kill each other. I'm absolutely thrilled.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 06:31 AM
link   
a reply to: MarioOnTheFly

Pity that same effort and funding isn't put into cancer cures and things that actually improve human life.

People who make profit from this kind of destruction need to get their brains tested, because markets made up of happy people with cash to spend, would be far more lucrative. If you kill off people they can't buy your goods. There's only so many humans to provide bullets for.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Hopefully this tech will save our soldiers lives if ever fielded. Instead of spray and pray collateral damage can be much reduced with something like this..

If the tech continues on it's current pace someday future wars will have to be fought via robotics... for the battlefield will be to deadly for soft bodied humans.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 06:36 AM
link   

This ordnance is predictive but limited in its ability to compensate for a dodging target.
The exact same human sense system that a bird hunter or trap shooter attempts to use against a moving target.
But isn't this system, being predictive, less effective than a missile that simply tracks the target as it moves or flies?

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 06:50 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

And you think the industry cares who's blood is spilled.

Our soldiers may not be the ones shooting.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Pity that same effort and funding isn't put into cancer cures and things that actually improve human life.
a reply to: Shiloh7

Sure, because if the world was cancer free, that would mean the Russians won't be knocking down your door anytime soon, right? Unfortunately, defense has to be covered as well, especially these days.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Yep.

Saw it on skynews!

Looks great on Film and kinda reminds me of 'The Matrix'.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

I would argue that tech like this makes it less deadly--at least in total number of casualties.

Take a look at the death tolls for past wars compared to now. As tech and ammunition gets better (which leads to better tactics), death totals fall. This may not be a hard and true fact, but compare the civil war to the vietnam war to the modern war, and you'll get what I mean.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Does it have "replay" feature? Seen here:

Zorg Presents the ZF1

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shiloh7
a reply to: MarioOnTheFly

Ah yes, and how many Cures for Cancer topics have we seen go through ATS? A university near me has found a cure for all cancers, multiple times. It was even mentioned in the newspaper (somewhere in the middle, with a very small mention).

Medical treatment is too much of a good business to simply cure everything. I'm all for improving human life. But even that has it's drawbacks with the current human population being so massive.

Honestly, if we aren't allowed to cure massive debilitating diseases and conditions, and we aren't allowed to improve human life, then we should probably just focus on overpopulating another planet.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I would think this round wouldn't be something you'd want the enemy getting their hands on to reverse engineer. So if you had to go find the body and retrieve the fired round, wouldn't that be the exact opposite of what a sniper normally does?

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Absolutely cool.

The demo was with a sniper. But I guess, these could be used for high-speed machine guns - for ground attack planes/copters/drones.

Think about it. Apache or A-10 gatlin shooting rounds of these. Well, one might not necessarily need so many rounds either.

Or cCan they make the same thing with a 50 mm gun shell? F/A-xx with a darn thing would be spectacular. Think those dog-fights, where these shots would trace really hard the target. Pheehh... cool cool cool

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: deckdel

Absolutely cool.

The demo was with a sniper. But I guess, these could be used for high-speed machine guns - for ground attack planes/copters/drones.

Think about it. Apache or A-10 gatlin shooting rounds of these. Well, one might not necessarily need so many rounds either.

Or cCan they make the same thing with a 50 mm gun shell? F/A-xx with a darn thing would be spectacular. Think those dog-fights, where these shots would trace really hard the target. Pheehh... cool cool cool

I already posted something about this 6 months ago. Using standard 50 BALL they took these and moded them to be able to change course in flight. you can fire it off center and it self corrects to hit the target.

top topics

join