It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to instal dual boot win7+ubuntu on uefi?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 05:11 AM
link   
I have two hdd drives both 1tb size, one hdd have windows 7 on it and another hdd is bran new, also i have usb memory stick and my mainboard have UEFI bios system.

I am wondering can i instal ubuntu linux on the new hdd and have two hdd`s and operation systems to boot from?
Also can i use both hdd drives and share their files between two OS?

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Yes you can, just install to the clean hdd, you should be able to dual boot after installhelp.ubuntu.com...

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Thanks for confirmation, i will try it today but with wubi.exe i heard i do not need usb stick or burn dvds with that to instal ubuntu.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 07:10 AM
link   
a reply to: romilo
Turn UEFI off. Set the BIOS to legacy boot. Then it's like any other system.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 08:26 AM
link   
It's a one stop shop...you cant go back to uefi...at least ive never been able to; I get errors about not being bootable.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   
What do you know or think about that wubi.exe way of installing ubuntu along side win7?
I watched video and it seem fairly easy task and i would not need to mess with usb memory stick or dvds, i could start the install within my win7 and then it would reboot and finish instal the ubuntu.

As i sayd its my first go for linux or installing dual boot system.
Right now i am formatting my new hdd drive, where i would instal ubuntu, i am still bit wondering will my files (movies,music,pics) be shared between win7 & ubuntu?

LE: Would not want to mess with bios, if its not absolutely must.
edit on 29-4-2015 by romilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Forget wubi - it's no longer supported.
A viable alternative would be to install Ubuntu in a virtual machine. (Virtual Box will work).

For a hardware install I think that you will need to install both OSs in either legacy or UEFI mode.
For example if Win 7 was installed in UEFI Ubuntu will also have to be installed in UEFI.

Ubuntu will have no problem accessing files on the Win 7 HDD, the reverse is not the case though.
Personally, I would recommend a shared NTFS data partition for all your pictures, music etc which
both OSs will be able to access without problems.

If I recall correctly, Windows can be a tad funny about having its system partition written to by "foreign"
OSs - that's why I suggest a separate partition (or even HDD) for all your data.

Good luck.

edit on 29-4-2015 by EnochRoot because: additions

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Clover

top topics

join