It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Three Murderous Pitbulls

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 10:50 PM
link   
This story hits close to the heart for me. The only scars I bear are from pitbulls.

Three pit bulls go on rampage in Rocky

Two women — one an 86-year-old senior, the other a 27-year-old jogger — fought desperately with everything they had to save their dogs from separate vicious pit bull attacks along a walking path in Rocky Mountain House on Monday.

“I looked around and found a stick and was hitting one of the dogs that had Dakota around the neck. “The stick was like breaking on (the attacking dog’s) back. So I had no stick left so I start kicking them cause I’m thinking they’re going to kill her. There’s three of them. “I kicked so much that I could hardly even kick anymore because I was so exhausted. “They weren’t letting go. ... It was like I was a fly or something, so I’m just screaming as loud as I possible can.”

Fortunately two of the three pitbulls have been captured which will hopefully lead to the owner taking responsibility.

My thoughts are with the dogs who have to recover physically and psychologically from these incidents.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 11:04 PM
link   
How about you don't take out your emotional scars on a breed. There are plenty of good pitbulls and owners who can train them properly. Knee-jerk responses to certain breed are responsible for potentially hundreds of thousands of actual deaths.

I still have a scar on my face from and attack as a kid, it was a labrador retriever.

Get over it. You sound like a dog racist, congratulations.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 11:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7
How about you don't take out your emotional scars on a breed. There are plenty of good pitbulls and owners who can train them properly. Knee-jerk responses to certain breed are responsible for potentially hundreds of thousands of actual deaths.

I still have a scar on my face from and attack as a kid, it was a labrador retriever.

American Veterinary Medical Association twenty year study on the Top 10 Most Dangerous Dog Breeds Based on Bite Fatalities
Who do you think ended up as number one...by a large margin?

(post by BaltimoreRioter removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 11:34 PM
link   
My mom has a pitbull, one of the most loyal loving dogs I have ever met. Rambunctious, sure but she would never hurt anyone on purpose. It is all about the owners/trainers.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 11:57 PM
link   
It is because there is a large amount of kids that get them that don't understand how to train a dog or make a commitment to it.

The numbers will correlate with the popularity as well. They are one of the top owned breeds out there.
They in no way are predominantly aggressive.

You do realize that labs have the top bite numbers don't you?

This is because they are the top in popularity.

Dogs that don't receive training are the problem. I own and train Rottweilers and it's always hilarious watching ignorant people at the dog beach shocked that he is the best behaved in the pack.

Why don't you put the energy that you put into fear and hate into the importance of proper training?

You generally don't have bad dogs, you have bad trainers that don't show dogs the proper way to behave and they revert to the animal side vs the domesticated side.

Shelters are killing them by the thousands because of this unwarranted fear.

Up to 100 people a year are killed by horses. Per capita, pitbulls have nothing on them.

Where is your fear for horses?

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 12:15 AM
link   
a reply to: CraftBuilder

It's cause they are the trendy dogs to get and train to be the vicious dog.

Dogs are generally the product of their environment and sadly pits get put in some bad ones

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Sorry to hear. I have dog bite scars as many people do. however, I'm really against Breed Specific Legislation. On the other side, of course, I am against bad owners and fighting dog breeders who contribute to ruining a once loved American breed. Though, BSL doesn't help that either. One of my friends couldn't relocate because the town they wanted to move to does not allow their APBT. Most people wouldn't take their in their dog for the same reasons(housing discrimination that is legal), the proposed solution was euthanasia by a shelter. Is that end plan here just wipe out the whole breed? How about instead of BSL to hurt owners that are responsible and responsibly bred dogs to help stop dog fighting, backyard breeding, and more?

Are Breed-Specific Laws Effective? There is no evidence that breed-specific laws—which are costly and difficult to enforce—make communities safer for people or companion animals. For example, Prince George’s County, MD, spends more than $250,000 annually to enforce its ban on Pit Bulls. In 2003, a study conducted by the county on the ban’s effectiveness noted that “public safety is not improved as a result of [the ban],” and that “there is no transgression committed by owner or animal that is not covered by another, non-breed specific portion of the Animal Control Code (i.e., vicious animal, nuisance animal, leash laws).”

Source

edit on 29-4-2015 by dreamingawake because: laws).”

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I used to be a meter reader.
The only scars I have, 2, from dogs, are from cocker spaniels.
I really didn't have any trouble from pits.
I have owned a pit and she was as sweet natured as any dog I have ever owned.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 01:16 AM
link   
It doesn't show a picture of the attacking dogs, and a DNA test is cheap and easy now.

By the way the article reads, she walked into a situation between the 3 dogs and some other dog (?). There had to have been plenty of warning, and if she continued toward the sounds- well...

Also, who knows what her dog was doing? One of my dogs used to be an asshole while on a leash.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 03:33 AM
link   
It's always the owners to blame for bad dogs. However,a pitbull has the potential to do a lot more damage than most other dogs and are near impossible to get off. It's one of my biggest fears when walking my springer that we might walk bump into a chav with a pitbull.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Again, those statistics are buffed by the fact that HUMANS have bred dogs for fighting, and as weapons, which will have increased the likelihood of fatality caused by that breed. The idea of Pitbulls being more dangerous than any other dog inherently, without having been trained either by neglect or by deliberate conditioning to be so, is BUNKUM! Poppycock, nonsense, tripe.

Dangerous dogs are not born, they are made. No matter what breed of domestic dog you care to name, it is the way they have been bought up, the way they have been trained and conditioned, which dictates how likely they are to be involved in a fatality, and that is the ONLY relevant metric to consider. A dog which is truly loved, and properly bought up, without violence, without mistreatment, of any breed, will be by and large, loving and affectionate toward people.

Human folly is what causes dogs of any breed to become violent, and no other statistically relevant factor. I have met Pitbulls who were so soppy, so friendly, that the only danger they would pose to any other dog, or a human being, is from being licked to death. I have met West Highland Terriers which were berserk and bit everything other than their owners. The reality is, that when a domestic dog of any breed is involved with a terrible incident, you can bet your bottom dollar that at the root of the event, a human being is responsible.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Actually many of these attacks are being attributed to Pit Bulls when they are in fact NOT Pit Bulls at all but mutts that resemble pit bulls so these numbers are skewed . Hell , I have heard my own Vet make the claim that a dog was a Pit Bull and I had to correct him .

I have seen to many Homies and rednecks walking their "Pit Bulls" down my street on their logging chains as a show of "look what I have" when they are not Pit Bulls at all . I have seen very few (actually only one and he was a big baby) that come close to resembling a true Pit . but these guys go to a "breeder" who says these puppies are APBT , they give him cash and they come home with mutts .

I carry scars from dog bites myself , all from little yappy breeds that can fit in a woman's purse . Now I am not saying Pit Bull attacks do not happen , but any dog that is not well trained and well socialized can and will turn mean . When I still lived on my farm we had to go out and hunt down a feral pack of dogs that were attacking livestock and people . It was made up of mutts and hunting/sporting dogs . When city folk tire of their dogs or no longer want to care for them , they like to take a drive into the country and turn them loose and we had to deal with them .
edit on 29-4-2015 by Stonecutter45 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 05:57 AM
link   

What single breed of dog contributes to 66% of dog bites in the US?
What single breed of dog, as a family pet, has most frequently attacked and killed small children in the US?
There is no redemption for dog breeds that were created basically to be mean. None. And that goes for their owners also. Insurance companies have the actuary tables to show how much "trouble" pit bulls cause them.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Up to 100 people a year are killed by horses. Per capita, pitbulls have nothing on them.

Where is your fear for horses?

This is most ridiculous statement I've read this morning, even I first visited Origin and Religion sub-forums.

You don't see people keeping horses in suburbs and apartments, do you?

Trying to deny danger of this breed and call anyone who questions validity of your claims 'dog racist' is just wrong.

What I would like to see in statistics is not just number of cases, but how they compare with number of dogs for given race. This would better paint real picture and give us more insights into each race, imho.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun
What single breed of dog contributes to 66% of dog bites in the US? What single breed of dog, as a family pet, has most frequently attacked and killed small children in the US?

Pitbull is not a breed. This lady "described" them as pitbulls.

BSL doesn't help anything. Can You Identify the Pit Bull?

I do feel for the dog who was injured and glad he'll be OK.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

originally posted by: Aliensun
What single breed of dog contributes to 66% of dog bites in the US? What single breed of dog, as a family pet, has most frequently attacked and killed small children in the US?

Pitbull is not a breed. This lady "described" them as pitbulls.

BSL doesn't help anything. Can You Identify the Pit Bull?

I do feel for the dog who was injured and glad he'll be OK.

A few factual mistakes in your short statement that question the veracity of what you might say.

1) The victimized dogs were female not male.
2) There were two dogs attacked, not one.
3) The article did not state whether or not the dogs will be ok.

Did you even read the article?
edit on 29-4-2015 by CraftBuilder because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   

How about you don't take out your emotional scars on a breed. There are plenty of good pitbulls and owners who can train them properly.

The why do some countries -- and all airplane live animal cargo -- ban pit bulls, among other naturally aggressive breeds?

I've seen, personally, more than one "nice family" pit bull dog suddenly shift from dog to monster. With all dogs, the breed defines the personality tendencies first, training second, ongoing-ownership third. But the breed predisposition dominates -- it's hard to train a golden retriever to be an aggressive attack dog.

In addition to the incidents I've seen, while living in NYC, we kew three people who lost their dogs to sudden pit bull attacks.

Sorry, not buying the propaganda.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

Calling it propaganda is laughable at best.

Ignorance regarding canines is massive..

Talk to anyone who has actually worked with dogs in a professional capacity and their (our) narrative vastly differs from the media.

There are so many factors that play into this, pointing to the breed itself is highly disingenuous. There IS a problem, and there are solutions, but there are very few who are willing to listen to people with extensive personal experience. It's much easier to confirm bias anecdotally.

The solutions are not breed specific, but focus on education and limiting ignorance. Meaning, it will probably never happen..

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I debated even posting on this, but feel I need to do so. I love animals, and that includes dogs. we owned one dog, half-Rottie, that was the sweetest, gentlest, best dog I have ever seen, hands down. So, I am not someone that is going to condemn a breed for no good reason. For many dogs that can be a problem, it really is a matter of how they are raised and treated. A doberman, for example, is by nature a goofy dog, but they can train very easily and become highly aggressive. Since a lot of people intentionally get a dog they want to be mean, they rise in the bite stats. Rotties - I have never, EVER, seen a mean one. Seen some big ones, too, and protective, but nothing close to mean. I had a vet I once worked for tell me the one he worried about biting most was a cocker spaniel. Not because they are aggressive, but because they tend to like ONE family.

All that said, pit bulls are different. I have heard so many stories about pet pits that were said to be gentle, yet turned, with no warning, and mauled someone, sometimes fatally. Dogs that were never mistreated, whose nature, bred in, took over. They were MADE to fight, and that does make a difference. Dogs that guard and bite get int he stats, and are considered dangerous, but most pit bulls that do so aren't guarding anything. They simply give in to the way they were bred; to fight and to kill. I don't tend to support breed restrictions myself, but in this case, I make an exception. The best solution might be to allow the breed to die out.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join