It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bali nine duo executed by firing squad

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Executions of Chan and Sukumaran have taken place

Eight prisoners, including Bali nine organisers Myuran Sukumaran and Andrew Chan, have been executed in Indonesia.

The executions were carried out at 12.30am local time (3.30am AEST) on Nusakambangan prison island.

However the ninth condemned prisoner, Filipina maid Mary Jane Fiesta Veloso, was given a last-minute reprieve from the firing squad.

Attorney-General spokesman Tony Spontana said Veloso's execution had been postponed because of the Philippine president's request in connection with the human trafficking suspect surrendering herself in the Philippines.

Bali 9 Executions: Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran shot dead in Indonesia

Bali nine duo executed by firing squad - Live Updates

What an absolute disgrace. This was a politically driven execution, one designed only to bolster the Indonesian Presidents standing in his own political party and chances of re-election. If this execution were about justice then the condemneds remorse and rehabilitation would have been taken into account when deciding clemency, rather than a blanket rejection of everyone no matter the circumstance or subsequent rehabilitation.

I have heard, from a small minority of people, that they deserved to die, that we should be honoring Indonesia's sovereignty in this. How about NO. How about we grow some balls and stand up for what is right? Indonesia couldn't have given a damn about sovereignty when they invaded East Timor, why the hell should we care about theirs?

Their executions will do exactly NOTHING to stop the scourge of drugs in Indonesia, despite what unqualified and politically biased people may tell you. It has been proven time after time that the death penalty does not work.

What occurred an hour ago is a travesty of justice and I hope that the Australian, French, Brazilian and other governments whose people were executed make Indonesia pay dearly for this.

Indonesias treatment of the families this afternoon, when they were trying to get to the execution island, was nothing short of ghastly. Police dogs snapping at their heels as police dragged them to the boat - what an absolute disgrace.

The only good thing to come from tonight was a reprieve for the poor Filipino girl who was clearly just a drug mule. They still dragged her out to the shooting ground and very nearly shot her though.

#istandformercy

R.I.P. (Australians) Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran, (Indonesian) Zainal Abidin, (Brazilian) Rodrigo Gularte, (Nigerians) Sylvester Obiekwe Nwolise, Raheem Agbaje Salami and Okwudili Oyatanze and (Ghanaian) Martin Anderson.

edit on 28/4/2015 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

edit on Tue Apr 28 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed long quotes IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Capital punishment is barbaric. Who would think in 2015 we were still instituting the death penalty.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Kryties

Meanwhile the Indonesian government pleads for clemency as their own citizens are facing the death penalty in other nations.

Hypocrisy at its best.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: PeachesNCream

Capital punishment is barbaric? How about all the people that have to live with the trauma of all the dumb pricks that choose to destroy lives. You look at these idiots as victims, there not. How many kids went hungry because there mom and dad was hooked to their crap, how many people were mugged so the addicts could get their fix, how many women were forced into prostitution to feed there addiction, how many children kidnapped and pushed into the slave trade. Screw these pricks, they got what they deserved and only wish the USA would put in an express lane to eliminate more of these pricks. They are not a part of society. They are the slime that destroys it.

Cheers,

Camain.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   
My memory's fuzzy at the details, but this group was a group of drug smugglers, correct?

Why do people applaud the executions of cartel members, deaths of dealers, but these smugglers were hailed as some kind of heroic group just because they were "only planning" to smuggle? They broke the law in a foreign country & paid for it big-time.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Let this be a lesson to those who plan on committing a crime in another country.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone
Let this be a lesson to those who plan on committing a crime in another country.

Especially one with a death penalty for said crime.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: camain

Capital punishment is barbaric? How about all the people that have to live with the trauma of all the dumb pricks that choose to destroy lives. You look at these idiots as victims, there not. How many kids went hungry because there mom and dad was hooked to their crap, how many people were mugged so the addicts could get their fix, how many women were forced into prostitution to feed there addiction, how many children kidnapped and pushed into the slave trade. Screw these pricks, they got what they deserved and only wish the USA would put in an express lane to eliminate more of these pricks. They are not a part of society. They are the slime that destroys it.

Cheers,

Camain.

Apparently remorse and proven rehabilitation mean absolutly nothing to you?

Apparently you have never done anything in your life that you regret and wish you could take back - just as Chan and Sukumaran were?

I was expecting some barbaric and backward thinking in this thread, congratulations on being the first.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Not saying I support the execution butt...

Think of the lives that could have been lost or ruined if the Heroin they were trying to smuggle got through?

It might be hard for you to fathem but until you have lost a love one to this drug ,maybe then you would understand.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   

IT WON'T.

Why are you ignoring the clear evidence that the death penalty does not work to deter crime? Are you willfully ignoring it, or just closing your eyes and blocking your ears and screaming "LALALALALA"?

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kapusta

Not saying I support the execution butt...

Think of the lives that could have been lost or ruined if the Heroin they were trying to smuggle got through?

It might be hard for you to fathem but until you have lost a love one to this drug ,maybe then you would understand.

Umm, you really think those addicts will stop taking heroin just because one shipment was stopped and one of millions of drug dealers caught?

Seriously?

Poor argument mate.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   

If you go to another country respect there laws simple.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Very rare I agree with you.....but I do on this.

There country there rules.

Don't break them.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   

As far as I'm concerned, it's not whether or not a foreign execution sentence is a deterrent, but whether or not some other country has the right to demand change to their laws. Does the US have the right to demand changes? Australia? Hell, for that matter, does any country have the right to demand YOU Aussies change YOUR system up to suit them & make them feel better? No, it does not. They have their laws, you have yours, as applicable as seen fit for each country. Dislike them all you want, it's still not your place to demand change as an angry foreigner.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
My memory's fuzzy at the details, but this group was a group of drug smugglers, correct?

Why do people applaud the executions of cartel members, deaths of dealers, but these smugglers were hailed as some kind of heroic group just because they were "only planning" to smuggle? They broke the law in a foreign country & paid for it big-time.

In the 10 years they were in prison they reformed and rehabilitated - this is a proven FACT endorsed by even the UN. This was completely ignored when their clemency request was rejected - the Indo. President even admitted he never looked at their cases, just signed their death warrants.

Why are people ignoring this? Does the thought of people getting executed excite people that much?

It disgusts me that there are people who walk this Earth who still agree with the barbarous and backward act of execution - to the point where they ignore extenuating circumstances to satisfy their desire for vicarious vengeance.

How disgraceful.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

If you go to another country respect there laws simple.

Tell that to Indonesia when they invaded East Timor. Don't give me the "sovereign country" crap when the country you are talking about ignored it themselves.

edit on 28/4/2015 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: camain

Yes, it is barbaric and does nothing at all to quell the misery you find horrible... in theory.

Your scenario is limited in scope ... your picture justifying death by (nearly all) government is lacking the bigger picture.

The crimes themselves are caused by economic bottlenecks and the misery of day to day economic slavery and drudgery... a miserable existence alleviated for a moment by a grubby, addicting chemical, for example, is understandable... and the criminal environment that generated these 'crimes' is produced by the very elite committing the executions in the first place... to gain more time in power and luxury... a closed circle of tyranny, elitism and misery.

In truth, economic freedom and education would alleviate this whole cycle of nihilism, abject poverty, dehumanization and tyranny.

Like killing termites... it's senseless while the queen continues laying eggs.

I think executions are (somewhat) warranted, but they are nearly always committed upon the wrong culprits.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   

No need to be upset with me I'm not the one who broke their laws.

Like the saying goes if you don't want to do the time don't do the crime.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kryties

Why are people ignoring this? Does the thought of people getting executed excite people that much?

Because its now our country.

It not our country so its none of our business.

I might not agree with there laws and punishment but its not my place to change them. My surnames not Bush I dont want to stomp round the world forcing my opinions and values on others.
edit on 28-4-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: camain

Cheers,

Camain.

Yeah...Those drugs were forced down those addicts throats, no doubt about it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join