It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Super/Anti Hero Writer's Contest[May2015][Winners Announced]

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Hello ATS writers!

I've taken a little bit of hiatus from the writing forums and luckily BFFT took over and did a stellar job. That being said, I've decided to run a May contest.

The theme?

Superheroes.

Yeah I know. It's mostly because I'm so excited about the Avengers opening this weekend and I really want to read some stories about heroes.

But that would be too boring right? So here's a twist. You can choose to do classical hero, or an Anti-Hero.

In the same breath as The Punisher or Deadpool I wanna read about an unlikely hero.

A man or a woman or an alien or whatever you'd like, who just doesn't have a choice to save the girl or the world. He doesn't want to, but the circumstances lead him to the glory of becoming a known hero.

Original characters are a requirement.

Rules Of Entry

The contest will run from Tuesday 4/28/15 to Sunday 5/31/15 at Midnight. Any submissions after that date will be disqualified. A period of voting after the closing of the contest will also be provided.

6 days of voting.

All T&C's Apply

All entries MUST include [MAY2015] in the title.

All entries must be linked in this thread. You must include [writer] [non-writer] in your submission post within this thread.

There is no minimum or maximum character count.

1 Single Submission Per Member

There will be 3 winners among members who already have "Writer" status. They will be judged separately from all other entries based on stars and flags received.

1st Place -- 5 Applause, and selection of the next contest theme
2nd Place -- 3 Applause
3rd Place -- 1 Applause

There will also be 3 winners from the non-writer category who will receive the following:

1st Place -- 3 Applause & Writer Status
2nd Place -- 2 Applause & Writer Status
3rd Place -- 2 Applause

Scoring

Flags will be worth 2 points each.
Stars will be worth 1 point each.

*Stars for subsequent posts (ie. additions to the story) will be worth .5 stars.

So let's get to writing folks!

Official Entries:

Drop it!
Thunderstruck
To Death and Beyond
Some Powers Aren't Super
Invisible
The 4th of July
Darryl's Second Strange Adventure
Gabriel, Prince of Mermaids
The Iron Thief
And The Day Came
Never Make Promises Like
Reluctant Hero
Arco
Heroine
The Eternity Fox
Square Peg

edit on 5/1/2015 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

edit on 5/1/2015 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

edit on 5/2/2015 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

edit on 5/6/2015 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

edit on 5/7/2015 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

edit on 5/8/2015 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

edit on 5/12/2015 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

edit on 5/14/2015 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

edit on 6/12/2015 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 06:24 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Awesome. This time i might even think about it a bit longer than the last one.
Heroes, hm.... It doesn't matter what it is as long as it is original you say? Animals would be fine too? "Bark the super-dog", or something, would work?

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 06:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple

Awesome. This time i might even think about it a bit longer than the last one.
Heroes, hm.... It doesn't matter what it is as long as it is original you say? Animals would be fine too? "Bark the super-dog", or something, would work?

Bark the super dog would be sweet actually.

So yes, I can certainly go with any of that

Originality is key.

~Tenth

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Soo it's been brought to my attention that I messed up.

Since there was a winner the last time, they had chosen their own theme as is the standard practice. I hadn't noticed, of course I should have so that sucks.

Anyway, I'm willing to either run 2 contests, or scrap this one and do the other, or combine them and have you guys either write one or the other.

Thoughts?

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 09:22 AM
link   

No it's fine, carry on with this...

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Kantzveldt

You sure?

It's entirely your call, no harm no foul, I just jumped in with both feet this morning after watching an Avengers Trailer lol

~Tenth

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Yes sure, run with what i suggested next time if you like, but i really don't mind.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   
i am equally excited about the new avengers movie, and i think i may take a crack at this writing thing. i have a few ideas...which may or may not be marvel inspired. with a twist of me. shhh!

edit on 28-4-2015 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Ha! I'm totally fine, my story would work so far with both topics, first contact and heroes. Or it's an aim and miss for both, that depends...

Edit:
Here it is Drop it! and i can't express how awesome it is to say that [writer].
Still think it is a mistake though, i was only 3rd...

edit on 28-4-2015 by Peeple because: add

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

You sure?

It's entirely your call, no harm no foul, I just jumped in with both feet this morning after watching an Avengers Trailer lol

~Tenth

ive seen the movie, im totally with you on this lol

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Can we add our own intepretation and story and background to a character already in existence?

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: jessme2
Can we add our own intepretation and story and background to a character already in existence?

I struggle a little bit with that. If only for copyright issues lol

I think fan fiction is actually covered under DMCA but I'm not sure.

It would have to be wholly original.

I'm on the fence. Send me a tidbit via PM as to what your'e thinking and I'll get back to you.

~Tenth

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Woo - hoo. I'm all over this writing contest. I was 11, 12 years old when I started collecting comic books. The X-men and Wolverine were always my favorite group of superheros.

I'll have to chew on it for awhile. With the 100's of Hero's and Villain's in the Marvel Universe - not even to mention the DC Universe....creating an original will take some work.

Are we working within an alternate Universe (Marvel/DC)? Or are we as a collective, creating our own new alternate Universe of unique super hero's and villains?

CdT

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: CirqueDeTruth

There's a pretty large fan fiction arena for both DC and Marvel.

I would say that using the universe and characters is just fine but no ripping images from actual copyrighted stuff.

Originality is always better though. Who knows, if enough original characters get made we could make an ongoing collaborative story.

edit on 4/28/2015 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I don't know about using established characters. People might vote based on familiarity, over originality and good story telling. But that is just my opinion. Maybe if people want to do an established character they can just make a similar character. Instead of Wolverine. Do the Tasmanian Devil. A short Australian guy who can heal from damage and has razor sharp claws. We will know who you mean.

Or maybe do a deconstruction of a character. An example, a character obviously meant to be superman, but with a different name, doing very unsuperman things. Or like Nemesis by Mark Millar. Which had the tag line. What if Batman was the Joker. Or like Watchmen by Alan Moore. All the characters are based off of established super hero archetypes.

edit on 28-4-2015 by karmicecstasy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: karmicecstasy

Thats the ideal scenario.

Thank you for putting it so well

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: karmicecstasy

I'm planning on creating a unique Character. I just was wondering if we are making use of a particular alternate universe for writing purposes. If I'm in the Marvel Universe, I have a whole cast of 'extras' to flush out my story. Same with the Dark Comics Universe.

Personally I like the idea of creating a new Universe. It leaves all the special abilities and powers open to new characters and backstories.

CdT

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: CirqueDeTruth

I agree. I also plan on using an original character. This could be like the ATS version of Wildcards. The superhero shared universe book series edited by George R. R. Martin.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I guess I could give it a shot as an entirely 'new' character, even if modeled on a previously 'done' fictional character..

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Super hero ? Does that mean they have to jump over tall buildings or can they just be a normal person who is stuck in a situation and say....saves a galaxy and all the beings therein from being eaten ??

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join