It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

9 Biggest Myths About ISIS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 10:23 PM
link   
What do we REALLY know about ISIS, other than they are cold blooded killers who behead, burn, and torture to attempt at obtaining global attention and create fear in all who hear their name?

Myth #1: ISIS is crazy and irrational

If you want to understand the Islamic State, better known as ISIS, the first thing you have to know about them is that they are not crazy. Murderous adherents to a violent medieval ideology, sure. But not insane.

Look at the history of ISIS's rise in Iraq and Syria. From the mid-2000s through today, ISIS and its predecessor group, al-Qaeda in Iraq, have had one clear goal: to establish a caliphate governed by an extremist interpretation of Islamic law. ISIS developed strategies for accomplishing that goal — for instance, exploiting popular discontent among non-extremist Sunni Iraqis with their Shia-dominated government. Its tactics have evolved over the course of time in response to military defeats (as in 2008 in Iraq) and new opportunities (the Syrian civil war). As Yale political scientist Stathis Kalyvas explains, in pure strategic terms, ISIS is acting similarly to revolutionary militant groups around the world — not in an especially crazy or uniquely "Islamist" way.

2. Myth #2: People support ISIS because they like its radical form of Islam

3. Myth #3: ISIS is part of al-Qaeda (Boko Haram recently pledged allegiance to ISIS)

4. Myth #4: ISIS is a Syrian rebel group

5. Myth #5: ISIS is only strong because of Iraqi Prime Minister Maliki

6. Myth #6: ISIS is afraid of female soldiers (Ya think? )

7. Myth #7: The US can destroy ISIS (but will we?)

8. Myth #8: ISIS will self-destruct on its own (unlikely but there will be in-fighting to be the supreme leader of ISIS)

9. Myth #9: ISIS is invincible (Nothing is invincible)

Understanding that ISIS is at least on some level rational is necessary to make any sense of the group's behavior. If all ISIS wanted to was kill infidels, why would they ally themselves  with ex-Saddam Sunni secularist militias? If ISIS were totally crazy, how could they build a self-sustaining revenue stream from oil and organized crime rackets ? If ISIS only cared about forcing people to obey Islamic law, why would they have sponsored children's festivals and medical clinics in the Syrian territory they control? (To be clear, it is not out of their love for children, whom they are also happy to murder, but a calculated desire to establish control.)

Control is the objective. World domination and bringing down the USA.

Source

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Myth #10 Wife of OSIRIS (Oppressive SaudI 'Rabin Involvement in Saurian-liquis-ancienes)
edit on 27-4-2015 by TheFoolWhoForgot because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 10:46 PM
link   
a reply to: TheFoolWhoForgot

lol

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Doesn't being murderour adherents to a violent medieval idioly prohibit them from claiming sanity?

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 11:15 PM
link   
The lines getting blurred. Is Isis fighting the imperialist.? They are fighting other Muslims I understand. Are we fighting them? Are they fighting back? Who are we fighting them for? Were these governments they originated from mainly secular? If their interest is forming a radical Islam government.
I'd think that there are many many more peaceful Muslims who would stop this. The closer I look the less sense it makes.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 11:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Ultralight

The media hasn't really been covering them lately, at least from what I've seen. Which might be worrisome if Isis coverage is being suppressed what could they be up to?

And then you have the idiot fringe who try to pledge alligience to them and go on a lone wolf jihadi spree and get arrested at a shooting range.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 11:42 PM
link   
As a Salafi Muslim i will say This is an Attempt to glorify ISIS "sarcastically" or not we should not give this group any kind of credit . What most people don't understand is their Ideology goes against the very basic teachings of Islam.

They are what we call Khawarij and Takfiri

From their essentially political position, the Kharijites developed extreme doctrines that further set them apart from both mainstream Sunni and Shiʿa Muslims. The Kharijites were particularly noted for adopting a radical approach to Takfir.

These groups formed Mostly right after the Death of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) They are responsible for Killing Ali thus causing the Shia /Sunni divide.

ISIS establishment of the Caliph Violates Islamic Fiq ( jurisprudence /Sharia ) .

Their Group is more Politically motivated rather then "for the people ".

Also their actions are Shirk (Violating Allah and the Tawheed ) they are riddled with Bid'ah ( innovation of scripture ).

So much so that they blow them selfs up and kill innocent people be it Muslim or Christian.

They are pure Evil !!!

edit on 27-4-2015 by Kapusta because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 11:59 PM
link   
ISIS is a made for TV movie. No myth.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Ok. It's like the Christian divide? .protestant.Lutheran.catholic etc. So what do you think would happen if Americans.Jews.etc left?

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 02:56 AM
link   
All I can say is they should kiss their goats and camels like it is the last time they will see them.
It may well be.
edit on 28-4-2015 by skunkape23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 06:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bilk22

It's all good to say from your bedroom.

The real world where you have to buy things, can be scary too.

And yeah, ISIS kill people to achieve their goal.

Just pray you never have to go get milk.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 07:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
All I can say is they should kiss their goats and camels like it is the last time they will see them.
It may well be.

What does this even mean ?

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 07:43 AM
link   
What do ISIS call themselves?
What happened to the mujahideen?

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: sn0rch

originally posted by: Bilk22

It's all good to say from your bedroom.

The real world where you have to buy things, can be scary too.

And yeah, ISIS kill people to achieve their goal.

Just pray you never have to go get milk.
Well you can hide from the boogie man if you like. That's certainly your privilege.
edit on 62357Tuesdayk22 by Bilk22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Iamthatbish

I don't think they care about sanity. Kinda like the Vikings as portrayed by Floki...wildly insane, barbaric, and having fun being so.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

ISIS call themselves whatever they want to and kill anyone who challenges it.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I do not want to go off subject but I am curious why there is not more discussion about the ISIS camps on our boarder? I know Judicial Watch reported it, then the government denied it, then Judicial Watch says it is correct info. with evidence to support it. Based on the governments record of not telling the truth, I tend to believe JW.

new topics

top topics

join